Help me build an FM3 board and consider external switch(es)

Gasp100

Power User
My first got round with FM3 I was dead set on not using any external switches. It actually worked out well and even as a "layout novice" I was able to do quite a bit. But I did not like how I would setup a certain layout paradigm (let's say buttons 1-3 would be: toggle scene 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 but only ever be able to do that across all presets?
Is that what "per preset layouts" are for?
For example for acoustic gigs I want a layout that doesn't even use scenes at all. How does that work? or do I need to change the layout config between gigs?

Anyway, I'm thinking expanding with a good 2 button external switch would go a long way. Any recommendations?

For a board I would like to fit: Dunlop DV4 mini expression + FM3 + 2 button external switch.
I would love to keep this as compact as possible (and wish I could reuse my Pedaltrain Metro 16, but the FM3 is too long top to bottom to fit).

Any setup where I could EASILY remove the FM3 to take by itself to acoustic gigs would be sweet! Thoughts?

Is the Templeboard Duo 17 the gold standard? This might work and be pretty powerful but manageable from a size perspective as well. PossibleFM3Board.JPG

For switches I like the Saturnworks "Tap Tempo Soft Touch Double with TRS jack". I got the normally open version but I think the normally closed would work just as well. Lots of people use the Mosky dual switch from Amazon as well. The Boss one in your setup would work but it takes up a little bit more real estate on the board.

And yes, "per-preset" layouts can be used for what you describe. You can also have a "per-preset override" where the preset overrides what is normally assigned to that particular switch.

As for easily removing the FM3 from the board, you could make a small spacer out of plywood and apply velcro or dual lock to that and then stick the FM3 to that. That way you have more points of contact than just the 4 rubber corners. There's a few posts in the "show us your FM3" thread with similar setups I think. You could also use a commercial product like the Zenrigs Glo Riser for the same purpose.

I have the TC Spark mini as well. So you're using yours for a quick and dirty volume boost post FM3 for solos?

Hah oops no that's just a placeholder. It's the same physical size as the Saturnworks (or Mosky) switch. I just picked another mini-pedal to represent it. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm going to try and repurpose my Metro 16. I know there will be a slight overhang, but apparently a few guys have used it successfully. Just wondering how they have it fastened to the board.

Back
Top Bottom