After 10 years, updated TV

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I walked into the present - Future. oxymoron yes. After 10 yrs with my trusty ol' 720p 50" Toshiba Plasma I was ready for an upgrade. I wasn't unhappy with my old plasma but some artifacts were starting to appear not to mention some bad burn in that my eyes learned to ignore. Last week or two I'm all over the interwebs looking at the current technology and sifting through bs marketing nomenclature. 10 yrs ago , iirc, it was LCD vs Plasma and now its basically LED, Qled vs Oled. I ended up getting this Samsung Q80D tizen 50 " Qled smart tv for a good deal on early black friday. $1100 CAD. When playing properly sourced 4K the tv is insane. How the eff did I go this long without. It's like i was playing my line 6 pod for all these years. For the price point this seems like a sick tv and though OLED is superior in many ways I just didnt want to break the bank for those advantages. Ahh yes, time to revisit movies again for the first time. Also, the main thing I'm loving is the smart features. Built in apps, media player for my movie files. Technology is wondrous. Now i just need to upgrade to the Axe III

We had a 36" CRT TV for years and years. I think when my Son would invite his friends over they were like "what it that?" because it seemed like most everybody had a flat panel of some sort. My Wife and I used to fight because I wanted a 75"+ in the living room and she thought it would dominate the room. So we could never agree. My Uncle would stir sh!t up at family gatherings asking me if I had my new TV yet. Several years later my Wife and I were at a Best Buy and I took her in the Magnolia show room to look at the larger TVs and show that they didn't dominate the wall. She agreed.

Fortunately my work had these "points" that your co-workers or bosses could award you throughout the year. I had accumulated a ton and was able to get a 55" for the bedroom and a 75" for the living room for free. That was like two years ago.

Now when my Son's friends come over to play SmashBros they can actually see the character they are playing on the screen. And family movie night has never been better.

Congratulations on your upgrade and welcome to the future!

In 1993 I was 8 years old... my dad got me my own tv finally, didn't put it in my room but put it in the guest room- and that was where I'd watch tv/hang out, eventually turned into my studio/etc...

Through high school...college...etc... just used it- I didn't replace it until 2012. It was my only tv for 20 years.

I replaced it with a 47" vizio - $1000 at the time, got it with an extended warranty for $550 at an open box outlet place. It was well deserved.

Now I have 24/32/40/55" monitors and tv's everywhere- all samsung-

Everything is so cheap now- I want to sell it all and upgrade. I figured 65" would be plenty for the living room- at the price point- 70/75/80 are on the table.

I’m surprised you got that many years out of the plasma. I had two - neither made it more than 5 years of moderate use. They were heavy, ran hot and just not that good. Happy Thanksgiving!

panasonic plasma considered nearly best tv ever made aside from the pioneer kudo? anyhoo, I still want bigger, it was huge for a plasma 61 inches

The Kuro’s were amazing back in the day. Still running the last of the Panasonic VT’s in the bedroom. Plasma was the superior black level and they doubled nicely as economically inefficient space heater. Oled at least saves us from the visual horror that is lcd.

The funny thing was when I took the old tv in to Bestbuy to recycle. walking in the doors with the plasma and the bewildered looks. Whispers from young children 'i've only heard rumours' ...'its true they did exist' actually the one staff there immediately recognized my old tv and was like 'thats the 720p plasma isnt it?! i sold loads of those back in the day. great tv.'

I upgraded from a 50 inch Panasonic 750p plasma that I had purchased in 2011 to a 65 inch LG C9 OLED 4K. It was a bit of a pain in the behind to get the thing setup with my source devices such that there was no lag in audio processing, but since I got that sorted out it has been great. High res content looks amazing.

Where on earth do y'all find 4k source material? I have a 4k display since 4 years ago, and have yet to view anything other than the demos it came with...

I had the last of the Plasma's, a 65" Panasonic, and I moved in 2018 it got knocked over and busted :( dam it was heavy! First I bought a Samsung 65" QLED or whatever, it was $1500, but everything that was not 4K was automatically upscaled and motion blurred or whatever and I couldn't handle it. For me this totally ruins the experience as it looks so fake. So I returned it and I cheaped out and bought a 65" 4k Roku TV for $450 from Costco last years black friday, and to be honest, 100% happy with it's picture. it's 100% 4K, I stream all kinds of nature stuff off youtube regularly (for free no sub needed).

I expect to get at least 5 years out of this TV, and for that price, IMO it's a no brainer.

We had a basement under our house and we made it a room for the kids to play. Well, they didn’t. Finally I ran into a neighbour and he said that he and several others in the neighborhood had a beamer. Well in short: we bought a huge used couch where you just sink into, a beamer and a like 90-95 inch screen. My kids are in their teens now and have lots of friends that come here to play on the ps4. We still have family movie night once a week. Awesome. Full hd. Now there are even 4k beamers. First my axe 3 though haha. A beamer btw was 700 euros and the screen 150. Waaaay cheaper than a tv.

I stopped watching TV altogether. Best decision I ever made. I only ever use it still for when I have follow an online training and the big screen is better then a small screen.

The thing I don't understand about modern TVs despite almost all TVs on the market being smart TVs, streaming boxes and devices like Roku ect are being pushed like crazy. Who's the target market for these? People with 1080p or 4k TV usually have all sorts of smart TV features on their current devices. I'd prefer it if we had high end displays with zero smart features so we can just add them later if we so choose.

After a good few days with the TV I had to calibrate to my room and learn about all the settings. No Axe edit to help so all front panel baby, well I used a remote. the one thing that drove me nuts was that 'soap opera' effect with the motion interpolation adding frames in the picture. It really threw me off and hated it. I thought perhaps this was just how new tvs' looked and discovered its a thing that many directors were campaigning against tv manufacturers.

And the other key thing is playing 4k source material otherwise its not as good. I watched mad max: fury road and it was fantastic. Its like playing old school nintendo at 8 bit for years then trying out the latest vid game consoles. I understand they're formatting the Lord of the Rings movies in 4K by December. i'll be gettin those, naturally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom