School me on Strats

Learning to do soldering is one of the greatest money saving skills any guitar player can learn. Fretwork takes a lot of time and trial and error to get it right, but soldering is such an easy skill to learn once you have a good iron it boggles the mind there are guitarists who will rather fork out lots of money to let others do it then learn it themselves.

Unless you have a tremor, then it's very stressful hah

came across this youtube vid showcasing the strengths/differences between strat and tele. They both sound amazing.

Yeah, I haven't felt the need to mess with upgrades on most of the MIM Fenders that I've bought. They're decent instruments and some are great. If you can't get a good tone out of a MIM Tele or Strat, the problem is you.

I've been flirting with all sorts of things lately and the latest is a 2013 Fender Strat American deluxe for about $1300 USD

I recently decided to get a strat too since all my guitars have humbuckers and my very first guitar was a cheap strat. I ended up getting one of the new dark night Pro II Fenders and it's really nice. Considering it's US made and comes with a $200 case it was a better option to me than saving a few hundred getting something used. I like the thicker neck better than I thought I would. The action is too low for my picking style so I need to raise it and I think I'm going to put some 10s on and drop it down half a step, but I'm kind of hesitant to mess with it because it plays so nice and smooth right out of the box. The new paint smell hasn't even worn off yet.

Apparently I'm not allowed to post links yet but you can search this at Sweetwater: Fender American Professional II Stratocaster - Dark Night with Rosewood Fingerboard.

I've been flirting with all sorts of things lately and the latest is a 2013 Fender Strat American deluxe for about $1300 USD

Can probably find one for less. I sold a modded and slightly beat usa tele deluxe for half what it cost new 6 or 7 years ago lol.

Have you tried a local wtb with a budget listed yet?

@Flashback, what do you think of the bridge pickup's two modes?
I do like being able to add more thickness but honestly I've barely used the bridge pickup yet. I can't stop using the 4th position--it sounds so good. I just spent an hour playing with the Axe's tweed presets. Now I need to find a good SRV style patch.

Is the build quality still the same?
Yes in as much as you can say with these, they always vary a far bit at this price point. Try before you buy if possible. I personally find the hit miss rate is; if you got 10 randomly selected of one model 1 would be awesome. 1 reject. 2 no issues but a bit bland sounding. 4 nothing a tech couldn't fix in a setup plus. 2 that you probably would send back because of fret issues or the truss rod doesn't produce a relief profile that is going to work properly . I think this ratio is about it right up to serious money.

Andy, what's your take on the American Deluxe series from the 90's?
I especially like the ones with the LSR roller nut and locking tuners.
My 35th ann. has a graphite nut and that's ok as well.

Andy, what's your take on the American Deluxe series from the 90's?
I especially like the ones with the LSR roller nut and locking tuners.
My 35th ann. has a graphite nut and that's ok as well.
I think they are a really nice versatile guitar but to me they don't really have the best actual strat tones. They have good tone but the changes in the hardware stop you getting the classic vintage strat sound (only an issue if that's what you are looking for.)
The long and short is great guitar but if you are wanting SRV or John Mayer tones look elsewhere .

Any guitar player needs at least a Strat and a Tele in their arsenal,

Yes. I have one Strat and 3 Teles, all with different customizations....

Tele's are cool, but despite being made from parts screwed together like the Strat its not as moddable. Most Tele's are really routed for that classic Tele pickup loadout.

Many newer Teles have adopted a more moddable rout under the pickguard. I was able to swap a pickguard to change one of mine over to a SD Jazz humbucker at the neck and hum-free single coil in the middle - the routs were already there. One of the others was a custom built Thinline, with a P90 rout at the neck. The last was a $99 blowout from Hard Luck Kings. That one required the most work to mod to a pair of humbuckers, but the result has been worth it.
20201126_123231.jpg

20201126_123241.jpg

20201126_123251.jpg

I will throw a Eric Johnson sunburst maple neck in this discussion. I own a few nice guitars & my EJ is my dessert island electric guitar - hands down /
Fractal & a nice EJ are made for each other

Attachments

• IMG_0779 (1).JPG
    IMG_0779 (1).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom