Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 14.05

Was on 14.00 and updated to 14.05 today due to the amp block power tube clipping improvements (important for me since I run the DC30 99% of the time, and the EL84 breakup is the signature for that amp). It's really subtle to my ears, but I feel like it's a little smoother in the high mids/treble when it's breaking up. Happy I made the update!
The other thing I've noticed tonight is possibly a little more "sag" on the DC30 and 50 watt plexi models. A little more "spongy" feel without losing headroom. Love it!

I’ve yet to update....

What are you experiencing with it?

I stock on the Plexi and feel has a huge improvement in the texture. The variac seems to be more noticeable when you change it. It worked before, but you can dial in some different tones with it, now.
Also, I had to low cut my IRs above 100Hzz before, but now I can go lower, and instead of boominess or woofiness, it has a nice round bottom.
The power amp distortion has a glowing, boiling feel.

I stock on the Plexi and feel has a huge improvement in the texture. The variac seems to be more noticeable when you change it. It worked before, but you can dial in some different tones with it, now.
Also, I had to low cut my IRs above 100Hzz before, but now I can go lower, and instead of boominess or woofiness, it has a nice round bottom.
The power amp distortion has a glowing, boiling feel.

Whoa!!! 👍🏻

Unless I'm overlooking something: Drive model Blackglass 7K significantly attenuates the signal below 100hz at the default settings. That can't be right?

(Bass tone knob on 0.00 (with any clip type, and obviously with the Low Cut set to 20hz) Even boosting the bass knob +12db or the graphic EQ at 100hz can't bring the level of the bass signal up to a bypassed level, it's especially evident on the RTA in the 40-80hz range.

Other than that head-scratcher: Its been very satisfying crafting tone with the MkII.

Last edited:
The Drive model Blackglass 7K significantly attenuates the signal below 100hz at the default settings. That can't be right?

(Bass tone knob on 0.00 (with any clip type, and obviously with the Low Cut set to 20hz) Even boosting the bass knob +12db or the graphic EQ at 100hz can't bring the level of the bass signal up to a bypassed level, it's especially evident on the RTA in the 40-80hz range.
I was initially very disappointed with the sound from the Blackglass 7K (on default tone settings). You have to play around with the various controls, but once you do, it sounds pretty good. I think the default settings aren't very representative of the drive model as a whole.

Its defaulted with a roll off of (?)6-12db/octave below 100hz (compared to bypassed DI), and there's no way to get that back: Boosting the bass (100hz) doesn't recover the missing depth of the lower octave. Even mixed in parallel as an Enhanced DI was a bit anemic with a 5 string. Probably work out nicely for tightening up a baritone, though.

Ah, Well, Straight into the Porta Bass model is pretty great. I'll stick with that for the time being.

Last edited:
Its defaulted with a roll off of (?)6-12db/octave below 100hz (compared to bypassed DI), and there's no way to get that back: Boosting the bass (100hz) doesn't recover the missing depth of the lower octave. Even mixed in parallel as an Enhanced DI was a bit anemic with a 5 string. Probably work out nicely for tightening up a baritone, though.

Ah, Well, Straight into the Porta Bass model is pretty great. I'll stick with that for the time being.
A lot of drive pedals implement pre-distortion low cut, distorting very low frequencies makes the tone very muddy so you'd want to have them cleaner to improve clarity and tightness.
So probably it's just how the pedal was designed

Is it intended to be used in parallel with dry signal?
it is. on the original pedal there’s a blend knob so you can mix your distorted highs with your direct fundamentals. on the model you’re supposed to use the mix knob for this

edit: the newer dark glass stuff takes this to really interesting directions: the alpha/omega line blends two different kinds of distortion, and the X line let’s you fine tune the crossover frequency. this is all to simulate what bassists like nolly do with distorted highs from a 5150 model on top of clean fundamentals.

I'd think you'd want compression on the clean side, probably a lot, to keep the dynamics somewhat similar to distortion side. It's weird to me that all of that isn't internal to the pedal.

A lot of drive pedals implement pre-distortion low cut, distorting very low frequencies makes the tone very muddy so you'd want to have them cleaner to improve clarity and tightness.
So probably it's just how the pedal was designed
Thanks for setting me straight. I get that. The landmark Tube Screamer rolls off the low end, it's in the genome. As I've never played a K7, I was a little surprised that there is so much undefeatable low end roll off on something for bass. I usually need to roll off some of the sub frequencies, but too much is pulled out of the 40-80hz for my five string (or even the PJ). My intention was in adjusting the texture and focus of the low and mids, rather than using it as a distortion pedal, but in order to leave the deep bass un-neutered, then 25% mix is about as much as can work and this by employing much more aggressive boost to the mids to compensate for the low mix %. Well, the pros know what goes, and It works for their rigs: I'm likely not using it in the way it was intended. Some other drive pedals can be flat or mildly attenuated below 100hz, which works, but don't have the texture character of the B7. For what I'm pursuing, I think I may have a job for the multiband compressor.

Anyway, thanks for responses. It was late, I was tired, and reflexively thought: this has to be a bug. I guess the bug was me?

I'd think you'd want compression on the clean side, probably a lot, to keep the dynamics somewhat similar to distortion side. It's weird to me that all of that isn't internal to the pedal.
it is in the real pedals (the x series at least), but the pedals is basically duplicating the rigs that people are building inside fractal and line6 rigs:
(22:04 for the bass rig)

(4:42 for the bass rig)

Does anybody have a problem with outputs knob in tempo settings?My knobs are work, but on my axe-fx display settings doesn't change.i see output volume -40.0db.If i use knobs volume are change

Back
Top Bottom