Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Indeed!! Pretty stoked about this release - Thx AB!

Just a few quick questions:

Did you limit yourselves to the 'official' bass amps in the box or you also extended to use other amps normally for guitars ("a la" Dr Bonkers)?

Also wondering what you used/recommend as monitor system for those? Your regular CLRs or an amp + bass cab?

Thx!

Indeed!! Pretty stoked about this release - Thx AB!

Just a few quick questions:

Did you limit yourselves to the 'official' bass amps in the box or you also extended to use other amps normally for guitars ("a la" Dr Bonkers)?

Also wondering what you used/recommend as monitor system for those? Your regular CLRs or an amp + bass cab?

Thx!

Use both bass-specific amps as well as guitar amps that do a great job. Some Fenders, Hiwatts, Plexis and Dumbles for example. Also did a Gallien-Krueger emulation. Two Dr. Bonkers IRs included of an 8x10 Marshall I mixed he gave me permission to use for Bass TonePacks.

Use FrFrs, but these I did all these on very expensive ATC 25 pro studio monitors - what Eddie Kramer and others use. So these will record VERY well (and include a DI blend option too) but also work great live.

More info an

Purchased! Dying for the weekend to be here so I can dive into it!!

Just some feedback: a few preset makers (I think Fremen, MOKE and maybe a few others) had initiated an effort to coordinate usage of IR User Slot #s in their packs... so that you don't end up with everyone pointing to U1: first slots... e.g. the IR slots you used for the bass pack are already filled with many IRs from Fremen's pack on my Axe...

I realize it's too late for this one, but it is a bit of a pain to have to edit each preset to point elsewhere for the custom IRs...

Just a thought! ;-)

Cheers,
Joce

Hi @austinbuddy just got a new axefx3 mk2 and struggling trying to get the Jessica preset working. For some reason it doesn’t load the custom scale from the system settings. Is it something I’m doing wrong or can I enter it manually? Thanks

Hi guys:

You've all been very patient as I worked on other products this year, thank you.

Now it's time to UPDATE the 1000+ Naked Amps for the Axe-Fx III for firmware 14.x. There is a lot to do, but I am starting work on it and should be finished before Christmas if not earlier, depending.

Things to expect over last 12.x firmware update for the 1000+ Naked Amps:

Amp model updates for Euro, JMP-Pre1, JVM, Small Box, Dizzy VH4 Blue, Herbie, Rectos

Adding new presets or scenes for new amps, such as the FAS Express, Archon, Triple Crest, PHV 6160, new Plexi, Soldano Lead bright, DC-30 EF86

Adjusting some of the Drive Blocks that were updated, like the Timmy

Adjust the Noisegate some. Add a transparent Compressor block, acting as a Limiter more than a compressor, behind each amp/cab (like in studio).

I may also try to some cab/speaker impedance pairings like I did in the LiveGold that worked nicely. So, some sounds could change in the update -- but for the better. As always, just keep your old ones backed up in case.

I'll also use some adjusted settings for Amp Boost (CS2) and Saturation (CS5) Control Switches, and add CS6 for Lo Cut, and get those going for the Naked Amps (instead of defaults of 12db and 4.0) -- just like in the LiveGold Tonepack.

Any other thoughts for what is needed -- let me know here. I'll update you when Bank 1 is done and maybe release that early.

Thanks ya'll! - AB

Last edited:
Black Friday/Cyber Monday holiday sales start tomorrow! Save $20 off the 1400+ Naked Amps Tonepack normal price.

I've made progress on a firmware 14.x+ update. I expect to have it all ready by mid-December if not before. I'll probably put up Bank A by itself in the next two weeks in your accounts for downloading, then Bank B will come soon after.

I'll post here when it is available.

Any update?

Okay guys - I've put the initial Axe-Fx III firmware 14.x 1400+ Naked Amps "Partial Update for Bank A" onto my website.

This December 2020 zip file is JUST "Bank A", along with .pdf file of Release Notes some notes into your download account areas. No other files in this zip (for now).

Once you unzip you'll see this:

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 9.57.48 PM.png

So, to get it, you have to go to my website and login...and go to My Account and Downloads area.

Log into your account on my website and you should see a DEC2020 UPDATE (or similar name) Zip file for Bank A waiting for you.

If you are buying this for the first time, refer to the firmware 12.x version and manual for initial installation, then read the firmware 14 update notes.

Note: your old email purchase download link probably won't work, since we moved to the new website in March 2020 - you have to log in to your account.

You won't notice a lot of changes in sounds -- I did NOT focus on that for the update. The README Release Notes layout all the changes I made.

You'll find using Control switches for Amp Boosts, Fat Switches, Brite switches, Saturation, and Lo Cut will work on all presets and scenes now. I've dialed in Boost amounts and Saturation amounts, and attached the Lo Cut control. It's 100% consistent with the layout found in the Live Gold.

The new Plexi, Triple Crest, Archon and PVY 6160+ bright models are added in there. The Soldano bright will be in Bank 2. I've reset updated some models like the JMP-1, Uberschall, and tweaked some things like cathode values on Class A amps or the negative feedback Deluxe reverb with things Cliff noted between firmwares 11 to 14.

The original noise gate was adjusted, so hiss should be very minimal now. I've also tweaked the Timmy drive block if present in a preset, so it's not messed up with excessive bass (post firmware 12) when used.

Errors inevitably occur. Post here if you find something screwed up or email me at heybuddy @ Austinbuddy.com so we can get it fixed in next iterative update.

It will be another 4-6 weeks (hopefully sooner, but the holidays pull me away from the studio) and I'll get Bank B updated and re-do the full zip file with better documentations etc.

I think that's it. I need to take a break this weekend, but will get back after this soon. Enjoy!

PS...Also, if you've forgot your account password, you can reset it... make sure you have my email in your address folder, so stuff doesn't go to spam...

If you repeatedly try to login unsuccessfully and get a "blocked message", that is the security and the reCaptcha thinking you are a BOT and the website's auto-security will lock you out for about four hours, then it resets and you can try again. A few people that forget their passwords have had this issue in the past but were fine after four hours.

I'll be sending out a Winter Newsletters to all customers soon so everyone is notified about all updates.

Last edited:
I like updated bank very much! Something really changed, spent two hours on Marshalls, happy! Thank you!! Wait for the next banks!

Cool!

What you are hearing is the compressor, set up as a 1176 style and more as a light-touch limiter over a compressor (like Andy Johns would have set up for recording guitars), that is placed after the cab block. You can turn it on/off (it is always Comp2 block) to compare. It will make the guitar a little punchier and slightly louder.

In this new firmware 14 update version, if you have an FC-12 or FC-6, it is ESSENTIAL to set up a foot switch to turn on/off Control Switch 2 (CS2), which is assigned to the Amp Boost. It will default OFF in most cases, but turning that ON really makes the Marshall-style amps come alive - they get juicy and fat!

Let's say you don't have a FC-12 or FC-6. Understand you cannot turn the CS2 switch on or off from the amp block in the editor -- it is attached to a modifier. This frustrates people. But you CAN change it from the editor. Here is how you can do it.

In Axe-Edit, go to CONTROLLERS, then pick the page that says CS by SCENE. This is a table of all 8 scenes by all six controllers, showing them to be ON or OFF. you can change the value of any control switch here, and if you save it, it stores in the preset that way.

Here is an example of what this CS by Scene looks like - I used a Mesa Boogie preset (JohnP Mark II C+* v14) so you could see that some of the CS controllers are set to ON and some OFF -- this is where you can change them using the editor.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 12.01.18 PM.png

In the above example, the FAT switch is engaged for Scenes 2, 5 and 7. I did all this manually. The Bright switch is OFF in Scenes 1 and 2. And the Lo Cut is on for all Scenes 3 to 8. If you click on the grid space where it says on/off, a box opens up, and you can select, On, Off, or last as choices (I don't use "last").

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 12.10.04 PM.png

KEY:

CS2 = amp boost off/on
CS3 = fat off/on
CS4 = brite (by preset, it will REVERSE what ever the amp default is...if the amp defaults to bright on, it will turn it off, and vice versa
CS5 - saturation...this is like boost and can sound very cool, it sort of smears your sound a little. can be useful. It does not work for amps that default to saturation being on already (like some Camerons)
CS6 - Lo Cut. This is usually defaults to Off and can be turned on, but for some hi-gain amp[s it may default to ON and can be turned off for more bottom.

So if you find a sound -- say, Scene 3 of a preset for a Marshall Plexi, and want to engage CS2 "amp boost" but you do not have an FC12 or FC6 foot controller set up to do that, then you would just go to this CONTROLLER > CS per Scene page and change the Scene 3 CS2 column value from off to ON, and then save it.

Then, every time you open the preset, Scene 3's amp boost will default ON instead of OFF. I'll try to get a video out on this important subject in next few weeks. This stuff is part of what makes the magic happen in LiveGold, and now it can in Naked Amps too.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom