Mark 2 fan noise

My mark 1 is effectively silent anyway.
is there not just a seriously better silent upgrade that could be retrofitted for those that have a problem? I have had fan issues with other gear but my axe 2 and 3 have both been fine as they came.

I didn't know my 2 AXE FXIII units had a fan until someone complained about noise. They are both dead quiet. My MKII will be here shortly so I will hear if there is a difference.

Hard to tell if its on or off even from a couple of feet away: If I actually put my ear against the 12U SKB rack case its in, I can hear the MKII purring, but its very quiet: heck, my breathing is a lot louder.

My MKII is close to dead quiet, sitting currently still out of a rack. My FRFR monitor is much louder and the monitor is already not louder than an idle PC fan

On my MKII when the fan spins is way louder than my Matrix GT1000FX. Also the fan doesn't spin all the time. What can I do to fix this ?

I don't know how Cliff and crew feel about these fan mods, but I would be a little more worried about violating my warranty on a $2k piece of gear than a little fan noise.

Modding the fan is a 100% non-destructive change.
The current fan uses a detachable connector and uses screws for mounting. Keep the original around and if you have to send it back, just put the original fan back on. Easy peasy.

It's not the rotational speed but rather the total volume of airflow that matters . A larger fan can spin more slowly and still move the same amount of air as a smaller, faster fan because the larger blades displace more air with each rotation. Only difference is it's spread out over a larger area.

It's not the rotational speed but rather the total volume of airflow that matters . A larger fan can spin more slowly and still move the same amount of air as a smaller, faster fan because the larger blades displace more air with each rotation. Only difference is it's spread out over a larger area.
In this case, it's not the total volume; it's the velocity.

The heat sink on the CPU is a fixed size. How it cools depends on the velocity of the air passing over it. If you use a larger-diameter fan, the air flowing through the outer part of the fan bypasses the heat sink and doesn't participate in the cooling. If that fan is moving air at a slower velocity (that's how big, quiet fans get quiet), you've actually reduced the cooling available to the CPU.

In this case, it's not the total volume; it's the velocity.

The heat sink on the CPU is a fixed size. How it cools depends on the velocity of the air passing over it. If you use a larger-diameter fan, the air flowing through the outer part of the fan bypasses the heat sink and doesn't participate in the cooling. If that fan is moving air at a slower velocity (that's how big, quiet fans get quiet), you've actually reduced the cooling available to the CPU.
True, if you stick the larger fan on the same mount, you'd miss out on some airflow. You'd need to modify the mount to redirect the airflow of the larger fan into the same space as the original to get the full flow rate through it.

The stock fan on my III is not silent, but I have to put my head right next to my rack to hear it at all. I guess some units are quieter than others.

You'd need to modify the mount to redirect the airflow of the larger fan into the same space as the original to get the full flow rate through it.
And then you're back to high velocity. :)

The stock fan on my III is not silent, but I have to put my head right next to my rack to hear it at all. I guess some units are quieter than others.
Yeah, my Axe II and computer breathe way heavier than my Axe III.

2k? 4K here ,!
I’m sure if a warranty issue arose, that was a result of overheating, that issue could be voided from warranty.
That seem fair to me.

Thanks
Pauly

I don't know how Cliff and crew feel about these fan mods, but I would be a little more worried about violating my warranty on a $2k piece of gear than a little fan noise.

Just a thought…what if the problem is the thermal paste for the CPU. Maybe it is applied “incorrectly” on some CPUs. That could explain why some units are quieter than others. More heat, more RPM.

Back
Top Bottom