Should I buy an FC-6 or an FC-12

Bulldog50

Inspired
I posted this in the Foot Controllers thread, but thought I might get more response in this group as I haven't got any responses in that group yet. If this is wrong, admin, please delete my post.

I am an intermediate basement player, and would like to have a foot controller, so I can easily switch between presets, scenes and effects, without having to touch AXE edit or my AXE FXIII. I am thinking I don't need the FC-12, but can anyone change my mind? What would I gain by spending an extra $200? As always, I really appreciate the help from the group that I always receive. Thanks.

I think it really depends on your use. I went with the FC12 because I like to have the most flexibility I can have when playing live. When I’m just practicing at home though, I usually am just using Axe Edit or the front panel to make changes or do anything.

Last edited:
I think it really depends on your use. I went with the FC12 because I like to have the most flexibility I can have when playing live. When I’m just practicing at home though, I usually am just using Axe Edit or the front panel to make do anything.
I don't play live, so probably the 6 is the most practical for me. I just want to be ably to switch between presets or scenes and maybe add an effect without having to stop playing to adjust AXE Edit or the device. Probably not worth the additional $200 for me, personally. Thanks.

I’m going for the Voes fc18. 18 buttons so you can access more on the fly. I prefer this to having more or less “fixed” presets and scenes. I can’t get the hold function going for myself. Remembering to hold or tap buttons while playing doesn’t work for me. I have an ax8 too so I really tried. Voes is cheaper too. If only I could use my mfc-101 sigh...I love the axe for its versatility. You can do anything at any moment. Having more buttons (FOR ME PERSONALLY) makes me get more out of the axe.
So if in doubt between the 6 or 12, ALWAYS 12 lol

Again, just my humble personal opinion.

Keep your eyes out for a used FC12. Also there are other midi devices they may work for what you want. Morningstar MC8 etc.

I’m going for the Voes fc18. 18 buttons so you can access more on the fly. I prefer this to having more or less “fixed” presets and scenes. I can’t get the hold function going for myself. Remembering to hold or tap buttons while playing doesn’t work for me. I have an ax8 too so I really tried. Voes is cheaper too. If only I could use my mfc-101 sigh...I love the axe for its versatility. You can do anything at any moment. Having more buttons (FOR ME PERSONALLY) makes me get more out of the axe.
So if in doubt between the 6 or 12, ALWAYS 12 lol

Again, just my humble personal opinion.
Never heard of that so I Googled it. Thanks. Looking at it.

Post in the classified, I had a 6 but traded it for the 12 (and only paid the difference).
Home use only.

I might be too recent to this and have my own internal confirmation bias since I just got my FC6 + Axe 3 MKII :sweatsmile: but I'm going to be okay with a FC6. I picked up 2 external 2 button footswitches so I'm up to 10 buttons with a much smaller footprint. I don't know if I'll even use them, but it's nice to have them for how cheap they cost.

That said if you have the $$ and don't plan on moving around very often I can see the FC12 being worth it.

What I mostly like about the FC6 is having a smaller board. I used to have a massive board with a Boss ES-8 + pedals and I am loving how a smaller footprint.

I guess I just like the extra buttons cause you just never know when you're gonna need em ... I also have the Midi commander to go with my 12 :) (thanks Leon).

When I was using mine live....now that there are no gigs up here and won't be for some time....I needed the more compact setup so I went with the FC6. No regrets, it is super easy to use and I don't have a need for the extra buttons, weight or space taken up.

I had the 12 and cleaved it in half:
20200920_162326.jpg

It puts my controller pedals in the center, where I want them, and lets me angle the ends in, which makes reaching the furthest button on either side easy, with no tai chi or yoga lessons needed....

Aren't lots of old-school pedalboards the size of the FC12 or bigger? It's not bigger than the room a player needs to stand and move around on stage, is it?

I understand the feeling that you want to be more minimal -- I feel that way about ostentatiously gorgeous guitar woods. But actual physical space doesn't seem like the issue.

Back
Top Bottom