Ever go sans cab block?

L

luke

I was checking out the speaker page and trying out the cabinets there and skipping adding a cab block.

Anyone else going this route?

No cab block on clean tones can work well for getting that 80's style ultra hi-fi sounding clean, especially with a healthy dose of chorus.

High gain tones usually sound like a clothes dryer full of broken glass with no cab block, but there are lots of ways to tame the high end without a cab.

I think you misunderstood the parameter regarding the cabinet type in the speaker tab. That parameter only affects the impedance curve that the virtual power amp sees. It will not give the output a coloration like a speaker simulation. An EQ block can be used in place of a cab block if you don't want to use an IR. Alternatively, many people like the sound a of a clean amp with no cabinet.

Only where I route to an actual guitar cab, or send an acoustic to FOH. I don’t know, if I am interpreting your question correctly.

Just try it, guitar, amp, reverb nothing else. Choose the “cab” on the amp’s speaker page and give it a listen. It can sound very “amp in the room” raw.

It gets interesting at 100%+.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was checking out the speaker page and trying out the cabinets there and skipping adding a cab block.

The Speaker tab allows you to select the Speaker Impedance Curve and adjust parameters related to it. The Speaker Impedance Curve is not a cabinet and thus doesn't replace the Cab block.

Having said that, I never use a Cab block for clean tones, but it has nothing to do with the Speaker tab. However, a Cab block is a necessity for distorted tones regardless of which Speaker Impedance Curve you use, that is unless you want your guitar to sound like a buzz saw.

Back
Top Bottom