Battery lifetime

@JohnnyRF did you read the linked wiki article? It explains Fractal's reasoning, and the tradeoffs behind different non-volatile storage options. Far be it from me to think I know better than Cliff myself, but who knows, maybe that's your long suit. Or not.

Last edited:
Too bad the engineers could not figure out how to not have a battery.. peavey did with the tubefex.. battery’s would leak and destroy circuit boards..
Yeah, when I think of devices to compare the Axe-Fx to, the Peavey Tube Fex is right there at the top of the list.

Coincidentally, the device you're using to access this forum also has a battery in it. Too bad the engineers could not figure out how to not have a battery. Oh wait...they did. It's called a pen and paper. ;)

Yeah, when I think of devices to compare the Axe-Fx to, the Peavey Tube Fex is right there at the top of the list.

Coincidentally, the device you're using to access this forum also has a battery in it. Too bad the engineers could not figure out how to not have a battery. Oh wait...they did. It's called a pen and paper. ;)

Paper is for shredders. I go for the vintage sag of quill on sheepskin myself: They say squid ink with a brush on papyrus is more versatile for those who can afford it, but I like keeping some birds around for their tail feathers: Plus, with Thanksgiving coming up: There's nothing like a NOS turkey for the holiday table.

Last edited:
Too bad the engineers could not figure out how to not have a battery.. peavey did with the tubefex.. battery’s would leak and destroy circuit boards..

I don't know how Peavey did it, but I remember units that had a storage space, where you could write data one time, like when burning data on a CD-ROM. So when all storage space was used up you could'n store anything anymore. I prefer to replace batteries.

In 20+ years of working on countless computers, I've never once seen a leaking CMOS battery. Lithium button and coin cell batteries are very stable compared to other battery chemistries like alkaline. Any battery type can leak, but it's pretty rare with coin and button cell batteries.

Paper is for shredders. I go for the vintage sag of quill on sheepskin myself: They say squid ink with a brush on papyrus is more versatile for those who can afford it, but I like keeping some birds around for their tail feathers: Plus, with Thanksgiving coming up: There's nothing like a NOS turkey for the holiday table.

A1 post.

In 20+ years of working on countless computers, I've never once seen a leaking CMOS battery. Lithium button and coin cell batteries are very stable compared to other battery chemistries like alkaline. Any battery type can leak, but it's pretty rare with coin and button cell batteries.
Exactly, me Too!

I have had the Ultra for almost twelve years before I got the III. I never had any problems with the battery, no leakage, replacements, etc. I used it on almost a daily basis. The same thing with the III that I've had for a solid year now. I have the utmost confidence in Cliff's design for longevity, whether that be from a processing power standpoint or a battery standpoint. I do know that on occasion during the Ultra days, people's batteries had died, but that was easily remedied by replacing it. I understand that the battery is a point of concern for you, but despite that, I hope that you can enjoy the tonal journey that is ahead of you with the Axe Fx III. In the very unlikely event that there is a battery issue, you have a community that is ready and willing to help, and plenty of stores that carry replacement batteries that you can, should you need to, replace without much fuss.

I have, and have had, MANY rack and keyboard units with internal "CR" type batteries, some go back 30+ years (e.g., Roland GR-50) and no CR type battery has ever leak. Actually these types of batteries are LITHIUM and these watch size never leak.

I've never had a "CR" (watch sized) type battery go dead , well almost never I did have one PC mother board battery die on me - I think the MoBo CMOS was "bad" and simply over drained). I've bought used gear (e.g. a pair of JL Cooper MSB MIDI patch bays ) that the memorized patchs still worked when I got them and those batteries were 15+ years old. However, I'm retentive and I don't risk a failure either I routinely, maybe every 5 -6 years or so I open every unit and swap in new batteries (blow out dust and blow some pot cleaner into all the pots while I'm in there - takes me a few days to do them all - LOL) it is very cheap insurance, like changing oil every 3 months/3000 miles (screw the .....)

blow some pot cleaner into all the pots while I'm in there -
Just wondering, what cleaner product do you use - I've used pot cleaner for my guitar pots, but the stuff I used (can't remember the name) felt liquidy and made me shy to use it near active electronics.

Back
Top Bottom