Delay Designer

Axe-Master
Combining a delay block with the feedback send and return blocks opens up some wild possibilities for creating your own custom delay tones. Here's a few examples inspired by the design of old rack delays - I'm sure those with a more intimate knowledge of those old designs could create fast more accurate recreations, but I really enjoyed the creative tangents this sent me on.

yeah, we used to do this in the olden days (of the Ultra), when the delay block was much more basic. you could get some nice vintage tones by throwing a peq and a tape drive in the loop, but it's all in the delay block now, so it's much easier. top tip - you can extend the maximum delay time up to 16 seconds by running two delay blocks in series like this.

Cool stuff!

I don't really get what the companding process does here. Back in the day, like Leon said, the delay chip itself was super noisy and lo-fi, so companding was a way to optimize the level the chip saw. That's not the case here, so I'm not sure what the net effect is. Guess I'll have to play iwth it myself :)

This same approach has great results with the pitch block. Stereo Detuned Pitches with slightly different delay times (25 ms left, 33 ms right), then feedback. It can really get lush if you use a couple of LFOs to slowly and slightly vary the L and R Detune amounts in the pitch block. H3000 on Steroids!

this preset has officially (by me) added to the all-time useful templates menu. (its on axe-change now, cheers as always ,Leon)..
After being away from my Chicago rig for months longer than expected, was happy to crank up some gear I had dearly missed, upgrade the III to14.whateverthisisnow , and convert this into a patch to go into my Guytron loop, and the heavenly tones emanating now from the random newagey plucking on my Joe Perry Axcess, I am very very happy, and reminded that I have the best rack effects unit that exists.

Thanks for this @2112 Leon! This just reminds me that there is no limit to what you can do with the Axe III. Go ahead and try something, you might be surprised at how it evolves.

Leon,

You are the Mad Fractal Scientist, cleverly disguised as a rock star!

Your videos and lessons are THE best!
Thank you!!! :checkeredflag::checkeredflag::checkeredflag:

Great video! Like Simeon said this goes back to Axe-Fx I standard days. But I think it takes someone like @2112 to explain it super clearly.

We even used to use delay blocks to support lengthier IRs when the cab block only supported 512 samples.
haha! yeah, I remember that so well...

... we used to use that "trick" to self oscillate the Delays when they still were, let's say, rather sterile. had to be careful though that they didn't run all over you...

Back
Top Bottom