Wish Wish List: New Amps

The Zinky Blue Velvet is one amp I've loved for the longest time. I got to play one many times, and that thing was unbelievable. It felt very Lukather to me at the time, and my perception may be way off haha; I just know I completely loved it. I was living in Memphis at the time, and this one shop happened to be a dealer; it looks like they're not made any more, but if you ever happen to spot one, I recommend giving it run.

Is the Mk V not just a 'best of' all the previous mark series?

The Mark V is basically just a IIC+ with 3 modes, and a power amp that might sound slightly different but not by much.

In IIC+ mode, it's a IIC+ non-GEQ model (has a smaller coupling cap at the end of a lead channel for less low end), Volume at 7.75 (gain on Axe), bright cap engaged. FAT and DEEP and the Lead bright are not engaged. We can do this on the Axe IIC+ model (though I'm not sure if the C+ or C++ model was a GEQ or non-GEQ model for that detail). Also it can switch from triode to pentode on the V, which you are in pentode on the Axe unless you use the 300B tube.

In the Mark IV mode, it's a IIC+ circuit, but with the larger GEQ coupling cap and PULL DEEP engaged.

In EXTREME, I think it removes some or all of the negative feedback, so you could reduce negative feedback from the IIC+ model.

That said, The Mark V also has their clean modes (which can be found in one fender model or another depending which combination of mode and fat switch you like).

The Channel 2 is the hardest to match on the Axe. The Crunch channel is cool, and I'm sure exactly what amp it would match closest to. Edge is weird. Kind of the gain of the marhally crunch plus the skinnyness of a vox. And the Mark I mode is not really replicated in any way in the Axe, not the original Mark I.

Soldano SLO (the new one from B.A.D... many say it's even better than the old one!)

I think the main improvements are a new Output Transformer (which could be modelled in the Axe, but debatable if worth it)

And another I know of is DC based heaters instead of AC based. Tubes in the 80s were better built and got less heater hum, but newer production tubes are a little more hit and miss with this. DC based heaters eliminate the hum. But the Axe already doesn't have heater hum so that improvement is a wash in terms of the model.

PWE Event Horizon EH3 (this would cause me to immediately upgrade from my Axe II, and if Cliff wants an "interesting" amp to model, this amp has a non-standard preamp section, particularly around the input stages for channels 2 and 3)

Some videos of the EH3:

The obligatory Doug Rappaport shred video (seriously, that guy seems to own ALL the high gain amps I love)

^ this. absolutely incredible sounding amp. had the chance to play a real PWE recently and was very impressed...

What about some Fractal originals? Forget the schematics and the precise modeling of existing amps. Invent something new. Something with an unnatural dynamic range or where pick dynamics affect brightness more than gain. Grasping at straws here, but I'd love to see what could be done free from the bounds of tradition-copying amp design.

What about some Fractal originals? Forget the schematics and the precise modeling of existing amps. Invent something new. Something with an unnatural dynamic range or where pick dynamics affect brightness more than gain. Grasping at straws here, but I'd love to see what could be done free from the bounds of tradition-copying amp design.
If you haven't already, check out the FAS amp models. That's what they are, idealized versions of real amps. They're great!

No real sense in making a whole new amp for things like input signal affects Y parameter, because we can already do that.

I wouldnt mind seeing how to do popular/common real-world mods within the iii.

Definitely two nice amps. I have them both and they sing.

I would also love to see more cleaner amps. The Tone King imperial (both channels) would be a great adiction. I would also love something like a Two Rock C.R.S. with its clean channel . I don't know why clean channels are skipped for a lot of models, there're a lot of people, like me, that use them. Seems sometimes that the main target for this machine are the metal guys who wants ultra-clean clinical sounds/high gain modern sounds and 80s hard rockers with plexis/jcm800 and all its variants but not the people which play with more vintagey sounds and style guitars.

I've also fallen in love with this:

Back
Top Bottom