Question about Axe-Fx

akalsteni68

So I know little to nothing about how amp modelers work. I know the axe fx is a piece of hardware that’s basically an amp modeler with a bunch of pre loaded heads, effects, etc and you can add patches and eq stuff.
But, is it a head? Like do you just use it with a cabinet? Or you run it through a head and cab/combo amp? I know you can run it to your computer with a pre amp and DAW. But that’s about it, if someone cod explain it better to me i’d really appreciate it. Thanks! Know its a pretty noobie question

Welcome to the forum, alaksteni68

The Axe-FX isn't a head. To hear the Axe-FX, other than through connected headphones, a computer's speakers, etc, you'll need to amplify it and use speakers.

There are many ways to accomplish this. In general, I think most of us use some sort of Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) setup. Others prefer to use an actual guitar amp cabinet. Lots of possibilities.

I'm sure others will respond with more info. You've come to a helpful place.

There are a few options for hooking it up.
You can use the amp models and then run through a real cab you like. This requires an external power amp.

You can run it with the amp and cab sims. This requires a powered FRFR speaker. There are many available. Some of the most favored are Matrix and Atomic.

You can run it direct into a mixing console or DAW.
You can run it direct into a PA.
You can run it direct into a powered monitor cabinet - like a standard stage wedge (this is often referred to as "FRFR", which causes a ton of confusion)
You can run it direct into IEMs.
You can run it into a basic stereo amp with studio monitors or stereo speakers.

Set up like this, you will hear what you would hear in the control room when a really good recording engineer has mic'd up your amp in a studio.

Think of the Axe-FX as combining all of these into a single box, with the output of the Axe-FX as a mic in front of an amp.:

Preamp
Lots of FX pedals or rack units
Power amp
Speaker or Speaker Cabinet
Microphones in front of the amp or cabinet

In the simplest hardware sense, the Axe FX is a preamp. You'll need a separate power amp to drive speakers.

Think of it like a multi-FX pedal on steroids but in rack form.

A head is a preamp + power amp.
The Axe FX is a preamp, so it’s only half the equation. But if you plug into a power amp, you get a head.

The best advice IMHO was given at the beginning of this post...
Download the manual and read.
I'm not trying to sound condescending... I'm being honest.
I did that when I first heard of Fractual and the Axe FX3 and it was the best thing I did....
That and youtube

Good luck on your journey.... it's worth it and it's a fun one :)
The Axe is amazing!!!

The best advice IMHO was given at the beginning of this post...
Download the manual and read.
I'm not trying to sound condescending... I'm being honest.
I did that when I first heard of Fractual and the Axe FX3 and it was the best thing I did....
That and youtube

Good luck on your journey.... it's worth it and it's a fun one :)
The Axe is amazing!!!

Yep. Read it 3 times even. Have it up the first time you power up.

But, is it a head? Like do you just use it with a cabinet? Or you run it through a head and cab/combo amp? I know you can run it to your computer with a pre amp and DAW. But that’s about it, if someone cod explaiSHAREitn it better to me i’d really appreciate it. Thanks! Know its a pretty noobie question

issue got solved!!

But, is it a head? Like do you just use it with a cabinet? Or you run it through a head and cab/combo amp? I know you can run it to your computer with a pre amp and DAW. But that’s about it, if someone cod explaiSHAREitn it better to me i’d really appreciate it. Thanks! Know its a pretty noobie question

issue got solved!!
Your question was answered way up there, no it is not a head.

You can run it in the cab or combo as the 4 cable method in the fx loop of an amp. That's if you want to use the axe fx as your main source of colouring the tone

IT's an extremely versatile preamp. Think of it that way

As mentioned above, it's versatile enough to use it however you want. If you want it to behave like an amplifier head, then sure, it can do that. Just plug it into a fairly neutral (non-tone colouring) power amp & a guitar cab, and off you go.

I have mine set up with one output going straight to the desk/PA/monitors (with full cab modelling), and another output going straight to my power amp and cabinet (minus the cab modelling of course).

As far as routing goes, it's pretty limitless.

issue got solved!!

It needs to be amplified to be heard at your desired level. Fortunately, you are able to do that by power amps, powered PA speakers, guitar amps, headphones, computer speakers. It's a line level signal.

With the Axe Fx III, and any FRFR powered speaker (like perhaps a Line 6 Powercab Plus), you'll have every amp and effect you'd ever want, and be loud enough to play anywhere. Or quiet enough to play at night in your home.

Essentially, you could take yourself out of the gear market permanently, except for new guitars.

The routing options are pretty extensive. I shared your concern before I purchased.
Mainly "How Am I going to hear this thing". Luckily the headphone output does a great job, and the powered FRFR speaker covers the other ground.

I like this - exactly my thought. Well, almost exactly - I took myself out of the amp market. :)

Aside from the quality and simplicity of the FAS units, the main thing in the back of my head before buying was "Amp/Pedal End Game".
It's why I like to see new models in the FW updates.

I went crazy with pedals a decade ago, but I've sold most of them and backed off buying new ones. Most of them I don't use.
I honestly have zero interest in any new gear since going Fractal. Aside from guitars, of course.

Everything is in one 3U rack space, easy to carry with one arm, FRFR in the other. Gotta love it.

It's not a head...you can't plug it directly into a plain speaker cabinet. You CAN plug it into a speaker cabinet that has a power amp built in (what's called a powered speaker). Or you can plug it into a combo amp, or into a head that's plugged into a speaker cabinet. That head can be a regular guitar amp (not ideal, but it works) or a power amp like the Matrix that several people have mentioned.

Everything is absolutely correct above 👍
But what I don't get and please don't get me wrong...
Why is somebody obviously interested in a pruduct and able to registrate to a forum but never ever read the manual or ocupy with the product itself?

Cheers
Sash

About your questions above:
The Fractal Axe Fx III needs a Frfr device to amplify.
You can use it with a existing Guitar Amp or P. A system as well.
It all depends on you personal preference.

Everything is absolutely correct above 👍
But what I don't get and please don't get me wrong...
Why is somebody obviously interested in a pruduct and able to registrate to a forum but never ever read the manual or ocupy with the product itself?

Cheers
Sash

About your questions above:
The Fractal Axe Fx III needs a Frfr device to amplify.
You can use it with a existing Guitar Amp or P. A system as well.
It all depends on you personal preference.

I joined two years before buying an AX8. I was interested after seeing Fractal add and the allure of getting cranked amp tones at tolerable volume levels was something I dreamed of. I can understand the logic. I think he's just doing his diligence.

Also, this community is GREAT!!!!! Everyone is eager to help and there's very little in-fighting, if any at all. It's refreshing to come here with all the negativity going on in the world. I love that it's kept out of here.

Back
Top Bottom