Elder tone matching

flageolet

Inspired
Hi,

Loving all music by Elder, I would like to recreate their sound as much as possible.

I have a beautiful sounding vintage hiwatt cabinet which should help, and since I don t like frfr too much, I want to keep playing through a real cab. I combine it with a Matrix power amp.

So 2 questions:
Does using a real cabinet eliminate the posibility of using tone matching in a meaningfull way?

Any tips for the elder sound (I always end up with a sound too tight and undirty, even with much gain)? 🤔
You can hear a very nice solo guitar in the first seconds of their rig rundown:

Last edited:
Just thought I would point out that you are listening to them through FRFR so if you use a real cab you won’t get the sound in that video.

Which guitarist's tone are you trying to get?

Rig 1: Tele, JTM45, greenback and jensen IR's. He didn't say if he's running the JCM800 gain + JTM45 in regards to the head. With the broadcaster pedal + tele, that sound reminds me of our JCM800 drive tone from my last band. I would try the JCM800 2203 or Hiwatt 100 with the drive low for slight breakup and use an OCD LPF with lower drive for the tele drive tone. Looks like you'll get to experiment with some fuzz models (start at fuzz face) for some of the tones tele guy gets. He mentions stacking his drives, so experiment with that as well.

I'll watch the Dunable player section later.

Worth noting the audio you're hearing for the video is 1 speaker mic'd even though they run 2 different speakers in their cabs. I'd start with a greenback 57 IR.

Hopefully that helps.

Thx a bunch. Got some playing around to do. 👍

Even though i usually play quite heavy, i sometimes use a tele myself so i'll go for tele guy first 😉, even if he s just a later add on to the band.

Saw them live once and was blown away. The way they construct their riffs, of course also shapes the sound a lot.

I've never heard of them but I come from loud 100w amps and big pedalboards, so I've already worked on a somewhat similar sound (less stacked fuzzes though lol).

Back
Top Bottom