Signature Required?

jamn4jc

Experienced
My FM3 was just delivered by UPS. I was expecting to have to sign for the package. UPS rang the doorbell, but did not require a signature and left it at the door. I could be wrong, but I thought there was an additional charge for this service (signature). Maybe COVID has changed the rules?

I live in a terraced house, the front door is basically on the street, busy urban area, with no front garden or hiding place; UPS delivered my FM3 a day early, i.e. there was no one in, and just left it on the doorstep. Absolutely unbelievable. Fortunately my next door neighbour saw it and took it in. This was UPS' crowning achievement after once not turning up when I had paid for a Saturday delivery, and waited in all day, and once returning a package to sender, (also G66), claiming that I had refused delivery; I had asked for it to be shipped to one of their delivery points, (a local shop), so I'm not sure how I was supposed to have refused delivery.

I hate UPS with a passion.

Both UPS and FedEx play loose with the signature rules, and it’s been going on since way before Covid. Their drivers are under the gun to make quota — get those packages delivered. It doesn’t help that 100 anxious customers are watching their every move online, wondering why the hell hey aren’t there yet. And their bosses are doing the same.

Par for the course for UPS around here. When I ordered my Axe-FX II way back they didn't ask for the signature and in fact left the box at my neighbour's place down the hallway from me! Thankfully I know all my neighbours and they are all trustworthy people, but that could definitely have gone poorly...

My Axe-FX III was dropped off at the UPS depot so no problem there, but my FM3 again they just left outside my door... at least it was the right one that time around.

At work we use FedEx, UPS, and DHL, to send out our products... they all have their issues. As @Rex mentioned, it's just the nature of the industry. Everyone expects instant delivery and the couriers are under the gun the get all their deliveries done so the protocols are often followed pretty loosely. The only way it would be better is if everyone was okay with higher fees and / or longer delivery times... which is never going to happen.

When mine came in it was sig req. I saw a delivery truck pull in, but the guy was taking a long time in his truck and I got a work call. While I was on the call I got notification that my package was delivered... he left it on the front porch... UPS

In our area, Amazon is using Intelcom Express a lot - pretty good actually - they send you a status of where you are in the sequence a few hours ahead and it's been reliable info. Don't know if this is a big delivery company or small but they seem to do a better job than the big boys whose delivery status info on many of my recent deliveries have been totally wrong or useless in terms of where/when the package is at.

I got mine yesterday and went out to meet the guy. As I was walking out, he asked my name (he actually asked "Is your name..." and I said yes, even though it isn't what I typically go by). He handed me the box and I asked if I had to sign. He said, "No. As long as I verify who I'm giving it to and shrugged his shoulders".

Another note is that he wasn't our normal UPS guy, just a guy in his personal truck wearing a UPS vest. He was carrying a box marked "FM3" so I figured I could trust him. ;) Anyway, I'm wondering if they use these contractors for non-standard delivery methods (I did 2nd day air).

My FM3 was dropped off by UPS at my door with no signature too. I have been wondering who pays if a porch pirate steals it? It can’t be Fractal since they required a signature and it can’t be the recipient since they didn’t sign right? Wouldn’t UPS have to pay the cost if that happened? Seems odd they would take a chance like that and not get confirmation it was given to someone in the house. I get the whole COVID thing but that doesn’t mean they can’t drop the package off at the door, ring the doorbell, stand back 10ft and confirm someone is there to receive it.

My FM3 was left in a lobby and stated that the signature was received. They didn't even bother to leave it at my door.

I got mine yesterday and went out to meet the guy. As I was walking out, he asked my name (he actually asked "Is your name..." and I said yes, even though it isn't what I typically go by). He handed me the box and I asked if I had to sign. He said, "No. As long as I verify who I'm giving it to and shrugged his shoulders".

Another note is that he wasn't our normal UPS guy, just a guy in his personal truck wearing a UPS vest. He was carrying a box marked "FM3" so I figured I could trust him. ;) Anyway, I'm wondering if they use these contractors for non-standard delivery methods (I did 2nd day air).

This was my experience. I’m pretty sure the driver told me they’re avoiding any back and forth (like with the e-signature devices). In the past and pre-COVID, I always had to sign for Fractal deliveries.

Same here, waited all day for Ibanez S1070 to arrive because of signature required. Nope, didn't need one

I get the whole COVID thing but that doesn’t mean they can’t drop the package off at the door, ring the doorbell, stand back 10ft and confirm someone is there to receive it.

They almost never ring doorbells because engaging in a discussion if someone answers the door, would put them seriously behind schedule. Waiting for someone to answer the door is simply not possible. Signature requirements are being ignored this year for obvious reasons.

If you're expecting a valuable package, sign up for notifications so you know when it's delivered, or at least frequently check the tracking info so you know when it will arrive. If you don't want a package left on your doorstep, make arrangements to have it left at your local depot and pick it up yourself.

They almost never ring doorbells because engaging in a discussion if someone answers the door, would put them seriously behind schedule. Waiting for someone to answer the door is simply not possible. Signature requirements are being ignored this year for obvious reasons.

If you're expecting a valuable package, sign up for notifications so you know when it's delivered, or at least frequently check the tracking info so you know when it will arrive. If you don't want a package left on your doorstep, make arrangements to have it left at your local depot and pick it up yourself.

Waiting for someone to answer the door is simply not possible? How did they do it for the countless years before 2020? They always ring doorbells when a signature is required. How else would they get a signature? Why would they even have a "signature requirement" option if that meant they can't ring a doorbell?

If you are saying 2020 COVID means they are not doing signatures anymore then why in the world would they have it as an option and charge people for it?

When I ordered the FM3 it said "signature required" so I wasn't worried if I was out of the house when it was delivered since I knew it wouldn't be left on the porch. If it said "we no longer will need a signature package will be left at door" then I would have planned accordingly. If they don't communicate the fact that it says "signature required" when it's not then how would people know?

My question was more who would be at fault for a package that requires a signature but the package is stolen and no signature was obtained? If a seller sold and shipped a $3k guitar to someone with signature required as proof of receipt and the buyer claimed to never have received it and there was no signature obtained for the delivery......well I can't see how the seller would be responsible.....also can't see how the buyer would be responsible either since no one signed for it. I would assume the responsibility falls on the delivery company. I mean who else could be at fault?

Again if it is communicated that a signature is required (clearly stated that on the delivery instructions) then that leads someone to believe that they are requiring some form of proof or receipt. If they are not following those instructions that should clearly be communicated to the recipient.

My primary concern was that Fractal is paying for a specific level of service and not having that service provided. The shipping label clearly says "signature required" and per UPS documentation, that is an additional fee.

My primary concern was that Fractal is paying for a specific level of service and not having that service provided. The shipping label clearly says "signature required" and per UPS documentation, that is an additional fee.

My main concern was it could have been stolen off of my porch. I would assume since Fractal required a signature then they are covered regardless. I would also assume that if no signature was obtained then the buyer/recipient is covered regardless as well. Seems like a risky practice on the part of UPS.

My main concern was it could have been stolen off of my porch. I would assume since Fractal required a signature then they are covered regardless. I would also assume that if no signature was obtained then the buyer/recipient is covered regardless as well. Seems like a risky practice on the part of UPS.

Yep. Our situations were slightly different. I was home and retrieved the package before the driver was back in his truck. I can definitely appreciate your concern.

Not only is it risky of UPS to do that, it is very poor customer service. Even if UPS is responsible, Fractal still has to go through the hassle to file a claim and deal with getting another unit to a customer.

Last edited:
They almost never ring doorbells because engaging in a discussion if someone answers the door, would put them seriously behind schedule.
I don't think so, at least in my personal experience.

The number of times I've had to wait for another delivery day because nobody was available to sign says otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom