Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
@austinbuddy I pre-purchased the AxeFx III version of these when you originally put the FM3 up for sale but I'm just now getting around to exploring them... I think this is gonna take a while... I was stuck in the Marshall Pre-Amps for a couple of hours. SO MANY GOOD TONES right out the gate. I've been on a personal project of organizing/tagging all of my presets. I worked through some pretty big collections including your Naked Amps pack. When a preset or a scene within a preset is the best of the best I tag it with "Coveted" and many of yours get this stamped on them. Thanks for all the hard work and amazing tones. Saves me so much time and inspiring to my playing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 5.28.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 5.28.43 PM.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 55
@austinbuddy I pre-purchased the AxeFx III version of these when you originally put the FM3 up for sale but I'm just now getting around to exploring them... I think this is gonna take a while... I was stuck in the Marshall Pre-Amps for a couple of hours. SO MANY GOOD TONES right out the gate. I've been on a personal project of organizing/tagging all of my presets. I worked through some pretty big collections including your Naked Amps pack. When a preset or a scene within a preset is the best of the best I tag it with "Coveted" and many of yours get this stamped on them. Thanks for all the hard work and amazing tones. Saves me so much time and inspiring to my playing.

Good Idea on tagging presets. Looks pretty useful. I'm going to have to check out that TagSpaces Software!

Good Idea on tagging presets. Looks pretty useful. I'm going to have to check out that TagSpaces Software!
I'll happily share my tag database with you if you decide to download it... I've got it loaded up with a ton of stuff... most of the amp models (real and the FAS Names) effect names, etc. The free version is really usable but I paid for the full version as it unlocks the advanced searching and a few other features I like/need. I have a whole process I've put together for organizing my presets and now I can locate stuff really quickly. I dream of the day when AxeEdit also functions as a preset library so we can have a centralized place to store/tag/transfer.

@ectoplasm88 Thanks so much man! It makes me so happy to hear how people love these tones.

I'll happily share my tag database with you if you decide to download it... I've got it loaded up with a ton of stuff... most of the amp models (real and the FAS Names) effect names, etc. The free version is really usable but I paid for the full version as it unlocks the advanced searching and a few other features I like/need. I have a whole process I've put together for organizing my presets and now I can locate stuff really quickly. I dream of the day when AxeEdit also functions as a preset library so we can have a centralized place to store/tag/transfer.
That program looks supper cool. I have always wanted something like this, especially for BLOCKS, not just Presets. Cool!

I'd like to check out your tag database to checkout with the tag space demo if possible. Thanks!

If memory serves, instead of doing a reset on the amp block, which resets all amp parameters, just change to the next amp model and then change it back. This resets the underlying model without changing your preset values.
Unfortunately a few parameters may be reset like Any GEQ, speaker compression, master volume and if I recall right presence. But the gain and Bass/Mid/Treble stay the same. Just note the values before you reset.

So I've redone the JMP models for a future firmware 14.x+ TonePack update.

Most of the drives are still okay under firmware 14, and you guys can tweak easily to taste.

BTW, the Timothy1 (Timmy pedal) found in Drive2 channel D in many Live Gold presets from pre-firmware 14 versions is main one that needs a tweak because of firmware 14 changes. Just do this: go it's TONE page and raise the LOW CUT from the new default to 20HZ to about 300 Hz (your taste) -- and then it's pretty much just like the prior firmware version (but the drives all sound better). The Fuzzes and some others are not affected in firmware 14 (thankfully!).

I'm also thinking about raising each preset's noise gate threshold some, more so most presets have virtually no hiss/noise with your guitar sitting on a stand -- any objections?

One thing I'm really thinking about doing for the next firmware 14.x Live Gold update on Axe-Fx III version is adding a Compressor2 block placed right after the cab (and leave Comp1 still open for you, you can use that before the amp).

I'd set up Comp2 like a studio limiter (gentle compression of up to -2db, hard knee probably) with four different options -- because having it default "on" makes everything sound punchier and bigger (just like studios do).

Thoughts -- you guys okay with that? You can always turn the COMP2 block off (but I doubt you will once you hear it!)... I'm still on the fence about whether to do it -- but it sure sounds good here on some amps (the AC-20 was killing with it).

The FM3 doesn't (yet) have the new studio compressors, so this would just be the Axe-Fx III Live Gold version.

I'm also musing about maybe changing the existing CS2- CS6 assignments to External Controllers 12 to 16 in the next TonePack update. This is because some of you don't have Fractal FC controllers, and there is no way to map the existing CS2 to CS6 to other units (like an RJM G16/22 Mastermind for example). It's gonna take some time to manually do that of course...

Making that big change would let you guys go to the SETUP > MIDI/Remote menu then page to "External" and there you could globally assign External 12 to 16 to whatever you wanted to use to turn the amp switches (input boost, fat, brite, saturation, lo cut) on or off. For example, it could be the Pedal1 or Pedal 2 jacks on the back of the III, or any MIDI CC# you decide, or the FC pedals or FC foot switches (up to four)/ In short, this change away from CS2-CS6 would make it easier for you guys to customize to your system. Then I would do also a NEW layout Amp Controller layout page that would work for external controllers 12-16 on an FC-6 or FC-12. What do you guys think about that?

Last, the Wah block has been such a pain because everyone handles their differently (toe down off versus spring loaded off) so I'm
thinking about just deleting the wah block altogether in next update - and then you can just add your own wah wherever you went using the block library. I'd include a block forthat deleted wah, but with both types (toe-down =off, heel-up=off) that you could import into any preset, and do a video showing how. Not committed to this yet, but am thinking about it. The benefit of that is that (plus the new presence of Comp2 block) would also be an indicator to you that these presets are firmware 14 and not confused with earlier firmware 12 versions.

I might also add some more standard effects in Axe-Fx II version since there is plenty of CPU - Phase/Vibe, Chorus/Flanger, Pitch - that kind of stuff.

Feedback please? Any pros, cons to the above you see? Trying to get this more flexible and even more useful if I',m going to put the extensive time in for a new update over next few months.

I'll probably take the same approach we decide on above to any 1000+ Naked Amps update too (which really needs the firmware 14 update more than Live Gold actually....).

Last edited:
So I've redone the JMP models for a future firmware 14.x+ TonePack update.

Most of the drives are still okay under firmware 14, and you guys can tweak easily to taste.

BTW, the Timothy1 (Timmy pedal) found in Drive2 channel D in many Live Gold presets from pre-firmware 14 versions is main one that needs a tweak because of firmware 14 changes. Just do this: go it's TONE page and raise the LOW CUT from the new default to 20HZ to about 300 Hz (your taste) -- and then it's pretty much just like the prior firmware version (but the drives all sound better). The Fuzzes and some others are not affected in firmware 14 (thankfully!).

I'm also thinking about raising each preset's noise gate threshold some, more so most presets have virtually hiss/noise with your guitar sitting on a stand -- any objections?

One thing I'm really thinking about doing for the next firmware 14.x Live Gold update on Axe-Fx III version is adding a Compressor2 block placed right after the cab (and leave Comp1 still open for you, you can use that before the amp).

I'd set up Comp2 like a studio limiter (gentle compression of up to -2db, hard knee probably) with four different options -- because having it default "on" makes everything sound punchier and bigger (just like studios do).

Thoughts -- you guys okay with that? You can always turn the COMP2 block off (but I doubt you will once you hear it!)... I'm still on the fence about whether to do it -- but it sure sounds good here on some amps (the AC-20 was killing with it).

Last, the Wah block has been such a pain because everyone handles their differently (toe down off versus spring loaded off) so I'm thinking about just deleting the wah block altogether in next update - and then you can just add your own wah wherever you went using the block library. I'd include a block forthat deleted wah, but with both types (toe-down =off, heel-up=off) that you could import into any preset, and do a video showing how. Not committed to this yet, but am thinking about it. The benefit of that is that (plus the new presence of Comp2 block) would also be an indicator to you that these presets are firmware 14 and not confused with earlier firmware 12 versions.

The changes above are good with me - all in favour! Wah blocks have been the bane of my life, especially when they're Auto-on. I don't have or ever use a wah. And yes, I know others do, but I think it should be a matter of choice to opt-IN, rather than have people like me wondering why the presets sound terrible, then discovering they all have that cocked wah on!

And the second compressor would be a great idea, as well as adjusting the Timmy.

Great work and excellent customer support, Buddy - thank you :)

Sounds good to me, especially the compressor2 after the cab.
Really like to see how that sounds/feels
Thanks for all your work/ support AB
Cheers

All good with other changes, but not certain about the changes to the CS2-CS6 configuration... i must admit i have fully embraced your fc12 pedalboard layouts - at least for sure the amp control one!

So is there a way to map ext. 12-16 to CS2-6 in global settings? Or at least any of the main 12 button on a fc12 layout?

would not want to have to reconfigure manually hundreds of presets...

but i trust you fully... so maybe what you are proposing will actually be better!

thx for your work on these packs... the Axe would not be the same experience fir me without them!!

cheers,
Joce

I'm also thinking about raising each preset's noise gate threshold some, more so most presets have virtually hiss/noise with your guitar sitting on a stand -- any objections?

Did you leave out a word here? More hiss is certainly not desirable for me.

Back
Top Bottom