Not a Bug FM3 UI sluggish, sometimes overreacts to inputs

IronSean

Power User
I've just received my FM3 (with 1.06 on it from Fractal), and I'm noticing that the on-device UI is really sluggish to respond to inputs intermittently, and occasionally overreacts to the inputs that were made while it was being unresponsive.

For instance, sometimes when pressing the nav buttons it responds fairly quickly (i.e., within 100ms. Not immediate, but similar to the AXE FX III). but other times it takes longer to respond to the inputs. It seems to me that the UI thread is getting blocked by some sort of longer-running background task and it can't process the inputs and redraw the UI until that task completes. The Axe FX III is rock solid in this regard unless you've got >80% CPU usage and the UI thread is getting starved.

This is a minor annoyance but doesn't severely impede usability.

More frustrating is sometimes when the UI thread appears to be stuck unable to process the input, it eventually catches up and processes that same input too many times. In the video linked below, I am on the Djentlmanly factory preset, unmodified. (It's around 50% CPU usage so that shouldn't be the cause). I click the nav down button twice (you can hear in the video to confirm), but it responds by executing at least 7 down movements, switching me from scene 1 to scene 8. I've experienced this same sort of jumping ahead/multiple reaction behaviour with Value knob as well, both navigating system menus and adjusting values.

To continue blindly speculating on the cause, I wonder if when the UI thread is not active some other process is handling the inputs from the buttons to add them to a queue to be processed. Then when the UI thread gets back to it they are executed. I wonder if there could be any bugs where the code adding them to this queue are not clearing the event from the source and then sometimes repeatedly adding them as events to be processed multiple times for each real event.

I also wondered if the knob acceleration could be partly at play: if the nav buttons are being accelerated when they shouldn't be. However, I've tested this with single nav presses with plenty of time between and sometimes a nav up or nav down gets executed twice when it was the only button hit in that period of time. I've had this happen with single key presses, ruling out any acceleration issues.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or is it just me? I think next I will try a full system reset (despite it being factory fresh from fractal) if others aren't experiencing this.

Last edited:
It doesn't do that on mine. I did notice if you tap it does 1 line at a time. If you hold down for anymore than a tap it scrolls multiple lines. You may have a sticking down key. Does it do it going up?

You're pressing it twice rather quickly. Perhaps the unit is registering that as a "double click" which is triggering a shortcut to go to the bottom? I'm eagerly awaiting my invite (March 17 signup), so I can't test on my own unit. But perhaps that's a feature to quickly get to the bottom of the list? Pure speculation.

It doesn't do that on mine. I did notice if you tap it does 1 line at a time. If you hold down for anymore than a tap it scrolls multiple lines. You may have a sticking down key. Does it do it going up?

I've had it happen I think going up, and with the value wheel. However, it could be the acceleration and delayed response making it look like the value wheel also does it when instead that's a separate issue. I'll test a bit more with up, left, and right. A sticky key could explain it.

You're pressing it twice rather quickly. Perhaps the unit is registering that as a "double click" which is triggering a shortcut to go to the bottom? I'm eagerly awaiting my invite (March 17 signup), so I can't test on my own unit. But perhaps that's a feature to quickly get to the bottom of the list? Pure speculation.

There isn't any such shortcut. What I didn't include is all the times that only brings you down 2 lines (like it should), or 3 or 4 (like it shouldn't). I've also had a single press bring it all the way from scene 1 to 8 before.

Further updates: After some troubleshooting steps they're going to take in the unit for testing and send me a replacement. Seems to be specific to my unit and the down button. Doesn't seem to be sticking, but does seem to be maybe triggering multiple presses for some real presses, maybe getting stuck right on the cusp of pressed/depressed and electrically flicking between the two. Will see if I can update this as Not a Bug.

Edit: I could.

Back
Top Bottom