Which Audio Interface Is Your Favorite with Axe-Fx III?

wpleary

I'm pretty new to recording. Less than a year at this point. I've only had Focusrite audio interfaces so far: first a Solo, and then a 2i2. As I've started to add more equipment, I'm getting really tired of having to unplug/plug while I'm recording. It's a super drag. For example, after laying down some guitar/bass tracks on the AxeFx, then I have to unplug one XLR from the back of it so I can then attach my mic. And I have a keyboard now, so same deal, and I want to be able to also have my Kemper always plugged in as well. I'm hoping to get an interface that has at least 8 inputs.

As I've watched videos on YouTube about audio interfaces, it seems that each one seems to potentially color the sound a bit. I have noticed that when I listen to the Focusrite what I hear through it's headphone jack doesn't sound quite as good/rich as the headphone jack on the Axe. I ordered some new cables as well, as I may not be using high-enough quality XLR. Long story short, mostly interested if anyone who has perhaps used different brands of audio interfaces with their AxeFx III if they ended up having a favorite one. Ideally I'd like one that doesn't color the tone in any way, and reproduces it as exactly as possible. Though I don't know if this would also be the best choice for vocals...hmmm.

I'm on a Windows btw, and don't have Thunderbolt, so that limits my options I know.

I just use my Behringer XR18 for everything these days, maybe isn’t the highest spec, but its amazing bang for the buck as it’s an 18 channel mixer and also an 18 channel digital I/o over usb, and you can have effects, eq, etc in every channel, 6 aux sends, everything can be recalled etc

one of the best studio purchases I’ve ever made, along with my FAS gear (of course)

Thank you @lqdsnddist . I will check that out.

@shemihazazel - I know you can use the AxeFX III as an audio interface, but I don't think I can plug everything else into it, right?...And I've read you can't hear the computer audio, which wouldn't be good for me, as I like to work on covers (to get better at recording) and often will play parts along while listening to both YouTube and AxeFx....via my DAW having a track active.

Thank you @lqdsnddist . I will check that out.

@shemihazazel - I know you can use the AxeFX III as an audio interface, but I don't think I can plug everything else into it, right?...And I've read you can't hear the computer audio, which wouldn't be good for me, as I like to work on covers (to get better at recording) and often will play parts along while listening to both YouTube and AxeFx....via my DAW having a track active.

Depends on how much you need to connect to it. As for not hearing computer audio, I haven't had any trouble with it.

@JoKeR III I could be on crack. I could have sworn I either read that or saw on a YouTube video about the subject...

I don't think the XLR on the Axe has phantom power, so still don't think it would work as a standalone, one-stop audio interface if wanting it, keyboards, Kemper, and condenser mics...no?

Input 2,3 & 4 also take line level and balanced inputs. If you use an external mic preamp you could make it work.
The only drawback is the Axe is running all the time.

I'm using a RME UCX, sounds great, has lots of inputs as well, super solid drivers, low latency. Also it's super small, really handy to bring to the practice room to record something there.
I connect the Axe via SPDIF, then you still have 8 other analog ins

Thanks for the idea @jukeboxx about using a preamp. I hadn't thought about that. I will check out the RME. I haven't heard of that brand yet.

About the Axe running all the time, (regardless of it being audio interface or not...) does anyone think that is bad? I have been tending to leave it on longer and longer through the day, so I don't have to wait as it boots up. I figured many of my regular computer are on all day, so assumed this wouldn't be too different.

@JoKeR III I could be on crack. I could have sworn I either read that or saw on a YouTube video about the subject...

I don't think the XLR on the Axe has phantom power, so still don't think it would work as a standalone, one-stop audio interface if wanting it, keyboards, Kemper, and condenser mics...no?

Definitely crack, or the YouTube user was on it. I frequently do YouTube lessons/backing tracks/songs right into the III via USB, and have zero issues hearing it in the output. I've done the same on PC and Mac.

In the manual chapter 3 you'll find the USB inputs/outputs. Not all inputs are recordable at the same time, you'd have to switch some settings or presets around if you really need use all 4 inputs.

...About the Axe running all the time, (regardless of it being audio interface or not...) does anyone think that is bad? I have been tending to leave it on longer and longer through the day, so I don't have to wait as it boots up. I figured many of my regular computer are on all day, so assumed this wouldn't be too different.
Cliff has said that he leaves his on for days (or weeks?) at a time. I don't think there's any harm in leaving it on however long you feel is useful.

Leaving something on will generally make it last longer because it's components are not going through the expanding and shrinking phenomenon caused by temperature change between on and off modes.

If you are going in to the interface via SPDIF doesn't it not really matter because you aren't using the D/A converters in the interface? That was my logic when I bought a 6i6...

Leaving something on will generally make it last longer because it's components are not going through the expanding and shrinking phenomenon caused by temperature change between on and off modes.

It's not my area of expertise, but my Grandfather was BIG into stereos and electronics, and he always preached that electronics were meant to stay on. His point was that the process of switching them on and off over time was what degraded the components. He would leave all of his stereo components on 24/7.

I have some electronic devices I keep on all the time, some I do not...
RME....I always power them off, I have had issues with 3 different interfaces leaving them on all the time.
...specifically fireface 800 and fireface ufx

It's not my area of expertise, but my Grandfather was BIG into stereos and electronics, and he always preached that electronics were meant to stay on. His point was that the process of switching them on and off over time was what degraded the components. He would leave all of his stereo components on 24/7.
I’ve got 5 odyssey audio power amps and they have been powered for 10 straight years...nary a blip...

@fuzzyoctaves I had completely overlooked the possibility of using SPDIF...thanks for the tip. Did you notice any difference in audio quality when you started using that? I have not had a chance to try it, as none of my audio interfaces so far have had an SPDIF input.

Thanks for the feedback everyone on the question of keeping the unit on. I am leaning towards thinking that it is OK to basically leave it on all the time, though probably not best for my utility bill.

Back
Top Bottom