A couple of Axe III headphone jack questions...

plyall

Power User
Hey folks! I have had my Axe III just over a year, and I tried to use the headphone jack for the first time.

Initially, I 'couldn't' get any output. I tried my phones with another piece of gear, so they checked out - hmm. After some fiddling, I found that I had to turn OUT 1 up about as far as it can go to get adequate headphone level. Is this correct?

Also, can the phones be set to any other output pair (OUT 2, OUT 3, or OUT 4), or are they hardwired to OUT 1?

Problem: Normally I route OUT 1 to my recording interface (RME FF800). If I need to record guitar (using the analog I/O), the level of OUT 1 needs to be somewhat low (perhaps 8-9 o'clock on the OUT 1 knob). For me to hear things properly in the headphones (SONY MDR-7506), I need to turn up OUT 1 to at least halfway. At this point the interface is distorting and being overdriven.

I did try something a little wacky: I configured OUT 4 to copy OUT 1. Then I set OUT 4 boost/pad to +18 db. Because my headphone uses a TRS jack, I can only patch it into either OUT 4 left or right - not both. As expected, I get a very low level into one earpiece, but not a serviceable headphone level.

Please no discussions on USB recording. I do use that as well, but this is a specific application. Thanks!!!

Per specs, these headphones are 63 ohms impedance. Fairly low really.

If the headphones are actually WIRED to OUT 1, that's a shame! I guess you have no way to monitor other outputs.

My headphones are 300 ohms and I can't turn output 1 up over half way without them being way too loud, and that is even with the Axe FXIII set to -10db. There is way more than enough power to run the headphones, so something else is wrong.

The Axe FXIII defaults to -10 dB nominal output level. Note that headphones are also affected by this setting.
You could set the Axe FXIII to +4db to make the headphones louder if needed.

My headphones are 300 ohms and I can't turn output 1 up over half way without them being way too loud, and that is even with the Axe FXIII set to -10db. There is way more than enough power to run the headphones, so something else is wrong.

The Axe FXIII defaults to -10 dB nominal output level. Note that headphones are also affected by this setting.
The headphones are not affected by the -10/+4 setting.

Yes - I do run the Axe III at +4db. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom