On the fence...help me jump off :-)

I'd be staggered if you bought the 3 and didn't conclude it as being the best gear purchase you ever made. There is a learning curve of course and everyone's setup is different but once you get things in sync - TONE HEAVEN :)!!

I am totally looking forward to it, and especially the simplicity of not having to pack around a fridge of gear. I just ordered one of their IR packs as well.

So, I'm just on the edge of making the Axe-Fx III purchase but need a bit more coaxing. I'm coming from an old school hardware background, play multiple genres (jazz, fusion, prog metal, free jazz, experimental, etc), currently use a Boogie Triaxis, Simul-Class 2:90, Lexicon PCM81, rectifier cabs, etc, etc, but have also used amp sims for the last 10 years off and on for home recording and limited live performances in the jazz, free jazz, improv arena. My biggest complaint of the amp sim plugins (I am currently using several -- Neural DSP Fortin, Archtype, Mecurrial Reaxis, Engl, etc) is that they are noisy as "f**k and produce a lot of hiss, even with no guitar or input activated in the signal chain. I guess you get what you pay for, and a $120 plugin can't be expected to do the work of an audiophile quality product. What's interesting is that I see this complaint all over forums, going on for years, so it is clearly an issue, yet when I contact support for these plugins and comment on this, they refuse to take accountability for the quality and just defer to the canned responses and recommendations regarding DAW audio settings, guitar cables, etc.

I have looked at the Kemper Profiler Rack, but do not think it meets my own needs. For one, I don't necessarily want a piece of gear that just clones (profile) other amps, but would prefer more customizability. I am more than comfortable with a technical user interface. The Axe-Fx III seems to allow this sort of customization. True?

Any other thoughts that may put me over the edge? Is it worth the $2300? Will I truly be able to ditch all my pedals, rack effects, etc?

Finally, thoughts on transitioning initially with a more hybrid approach and running the Axe-Fx III into my tube power amp and cabs, de-activating the cab/pwr amp simulation on the unit? (So essentially using the Axe as a pre-amp and fx unit).

K-
There is a used on on TGP now for 2100.00 ..lol

it's been 24 hours since my Axe FX III came in. All I can say is that I'm totally blown away. The interface is super intuitive...really no manual required for most operations, but then again I've been programming units like this for years and most start to feel the same after a while. I locked myself in my chair with guitar in hand, and in 4 hours I was able to create several presets of my own, with my own fav cabs (bought and installed some at the Fractal site), effects, with multiple scenes, set up MIDI to change scenes with my Beheringer FCB1010, assigned my controller pedals to volume, etc. Now working on re-amping in Ableton Live....not so intuitive in this case. ;-)

At first, I plugged my guitar into my pedal board on the floor -- with my stomp box gate, compressor, drive, tuner, volume, etc -- then running into the Axe, and after about 30 minutes, I realized there was absolutely no reason to use any of these dinosaur one-trick ponies. Based on my initial experience, there is really nothing these pedals do that the Axe can't pull off if I take the time to dial it in.

Thanks for all the encouragement! :)

2. Is there any reason for me to hang on to my stomp boxes and run them before the Axe Fx III? For instance, I have a Deci-Mate, Airis Savage Drive, and Keeley 4-knob compressor. Or can I just dispense with them as well and use what's in the Fractal box.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but was curious to ask the OP if you ever found a good replacement for the Airis Savage Drive in the Axe and had any tips for how you recreated it.

I was about to order a SD but noticed the Horizon Devices Precision Drive in the Axe and wondered if it could be tweaked to be really close to what the SD does.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/artists/

You know you want to
Thanks
Pauly

Last question....well, not the last I'm sure if I buy this thing, what major guitarists out the are using the FX III? And I don't mean that they have one at home and endorse it, but are using it as their main rig for live gigs and performances? Fractal's site has a crap load of guitarists in their list, but I'd like to know who is using it as their main rig. I'm having some problems finding a legit list on the web.

My pre-Fractal rig was a pretty big pedalboard with boutique pedals + Mesa Boogie Lonestar. I've owned a Triaxis, MKII, and MKIII as well, and also had a TC Electronic G Force in my rack rig. I took the plunge into the AxeFX II many years ago, and less than two years later had sold ALL of my tube amps and stopped using any effect pedals. I bought the AxeFX III as soon as it was released, and can tell you it's positively amazing. I use it in multiple musical settings, from jazz to blues to rock to country. The amp and effect tones are impeccable.

Back
Top Bottom