MFC-Edit Windows Size on Surface Pro 4

Japster

Inspired
Hi,

I've recently upgraded to a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and I'm wondering if there's any way to make the MFC-Edit Program window size larger? The whole program window currently displays around the size for a credit card on the screen, and is barely usable.

I understand this may be related to the native resolution of 2,736 x 1,824 pixels with the Surface Pro 4 but MFC-Edit seems to be the only program affected in this way.

e.g. Axe-Edit, Fractal-Bot etc.etc. all open up to a size that fills most of the screen.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Craig

Thanks for the reply, I already wear glasses :)

I haven't tried binoculars yet though :p

Here's the screenshot to show the difference

upload_2016-1-11_18-36-31.png upload_2016-1-11_18-36-31.png

Wow. That's not good. I'm looking to get MFC Edit soon (soon as I hook up the MFC I bought last month) and I'm either going to run it on my Surface 3 (1920x1280) or my desktop (7680x1440). I don't see it working out that well if it's tiny.

Wow! I feel your pain. To increase the size significantly (or make it resizeable) is a large effort to rewrite the UI code layout managers. I'd probably opt for a complete rewrite at that point and not even use Java at all. Either way, its a massive effort.

Wow. That's not good. I'm looking to get MFC Edit soon (soon as I hook up the MFC I bought last month) and I'm either going to run it on my Surface 3 (1920x1280) or my desktop (7680x1440). I don't see it working out that well if it's tiny.
Well, there's always Fedit.

That's the resolution I use - it is fine at 1920x1280. But then I have a 24" monitor. If you have a tiny monitor it's going to be smaller.

Thanks for the reply, I understand what you are saying about having to rewrite it.

Maybe I'll get one of these :D

image.jpeg

I'm on a Mac, but I found this, I don't know if it will help or if it's the JRE that needs to be changed.

"Under compatibility tab, just check the option "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

Hope it helps. (and doesn't make it worse)

Thanks for the reply, I already wear glasses :)
I haven't tried binoculars yet though :p
Here's the screenshot to show the difference

View attachment 29489 View attachment 29489

I found this googling the subject. I don't have a high-dpi windows display so I can't test it. Here's the original link and the content:
The problem here seems to be that Swing is by default claiming that it is DPI aware, so windows doesn't scale it. Use this switch to turn off this behavior and windows will start scaling your swing app:

-Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=false

[EDIT: Unfortunately, this flag no longer seems to work in Java 8, I was testing it in Java 6. Looks like this is a known issue.]

[EDIT 2: You can modify a Java 8 install to work correctly, using a program to modify the EXE manifests. I changed the setting from true to false in the manifests inside of java.exe and javaw.exe, and now my Swing programs scale correctly in Windows 10 high dpi. I used Resource Tuner to this.]

Probably. You can edit the Application/Icon launcher properties to include that argument on the command line. Or just create a BAT file to launch it. Every time you update MFC-Edit it will probably overwrite the icon unless you decline putting the icon/link on your desktop during the MFC-Edit installation. Then it will leave the old icon (and link) with the arguments that you added.

Last edited:
  1. Find the file 'jp2launcher.exe' (mine was located in 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_71\bin\')
  2. Right click -> Properties
  3. Go to 'Compatibility' tab
  4. Check 'Override high DPI scaling behavior''.
  5. Choose 'System' (from the drop-down) for 'Scaling performed by':

Back
Top Bottom