Axe Fx 3 4CM Noise Gate

Mongillo19

Inspired
Hi Everyone,

Just got my axe fx and have it set up in 4cm for one of the many uses of this amazing piece of equipment. Anyway, I am using a 5153 physical amp and have a noise gate in the effects loop chain of my axe fx. However, I can't get the hum out like I could with a physical noise gate. The sound will drop out before I can get to the point of silencing the hum....any advice?

If you have hum, you have a ground loop somewhere. It is pretty prevalent with any 4CM setup. I would suggest the humbuster cables, or if you are handy, you can make your own. There is some info on the Fractal site somewhere about doing that. You are basically using a TRS end on one side of the cable and lifting the ground on it and using a TS on the other side.

The other option is to isolate the loop on your amp through a small box like the Radial Stagebug. I use this one myself and it works so well. You are running one of the loop through it to lift the ground out. I tried the Morley/Ebtech box a while back and they suck tone like mad whereas the radial does not.

You can't gate out hum....only pre-amp hiss.

If you have hum, you have a ground loop somewhere. It is pretty prevalent with any 4CM setup. I would suggest the humbuster cables, or if you are handy, you can make your own. There is some info on the Fractal site somewhere about doing that. You are basically using a TRS end on one side of the cable and lifting the ground on it and using a TS on the other side.

The other option is to isolate the loop on your amp through a small box like the Radial Stagebug. I use this one myself and it works so well. You are running one of the loop through it to lift the ground out. I tried the Morley/Ebtech box a while back and they suck tone like mad whereas the radial does not.

You can't gate out hum....only pre-amp hiss.
I apologize then. It's preamp hiss for sure I just worked it incorrectly.

If you're using 4CM, you'll want to have a gate block in the loop but which keys off your very first Input block for its threshold.

My guitar goes into In1, then a number of blocks, and Out3 to my amp.

In4 and Out4 are in the effects loop of my amp.

The gate that's in my effects loop is using In1 (not In4) as the Sidechain Source. So the signal it uses for the threshold is from BEFORE my amps preamp.

This is just one approach. Generally though, your gate is going to come after whatever is generating/amplifying your noise, and your threshold is going to be based on a source that's as early in the chain as possible.

diagram.png

Back
Top Bottom