Tosin Abasi selling his Axe-Fx II with all his patches

Incredible musicians, amazing skill. But it just grates on my nerves even more then extreme brutal death metal. This is music for the mind, not for the soul. And there is nothing wrong with that. I do like a lot of music that is for the mind, but......., this just ain't one of it. I guess I'm old school and a sucker for a traditional song structure and something to sing along with.

I've played guitar for many decades, and I dig and listen to guitar-forward music a lot. But the stuff that really really grabs me deep down is much more song oriented, the stuff that plays back in your head on the bus. Sometimes makes me think I should approach guitar completely differently, but I'm having too much fun :)

Incredible musicians, amazing skill. But it just grates on my nerves even more then extreme brutal death metal. This is music for the mind, not for the soul. And there is nothing wrong with that. I do like a lot of music that is for the mind, but......., this just ain't one of it. I guess I'm old school and a sucker for a traditional song structure and something to sing along with.
Fair enough. Horses for courses is what they say, right? :)

I think what qualifies for as music for the mind or soul is highly subjective. Some people might find this soulful.

What, really? I personally helped with the prep of those presets for the release and did some updates to them over the years so they'd stay compliant with new firmware and gear. I should revisit them on the III. I still have the Logic project with all the old test stems on them so I can at least promise if they're refreshed for the III they'd be matched to the original sounds. Those presets were h-e-a-v-y.

I know you are super busy, have you thought any more on the possible refresh of the Stef C. presets?

It’s ok to not like a certain kind of music. I don’t like it either and I’m comfortable with it. I don’t think Tosin would ever know that I don’t like it, and I don’t think he’d care if he knew. I can see he is technically excellent, but it does nothing for me. He maybe an incredible musician, but I’d never know that.

I’ve also said before that if I ever had that option, I’d rather listen to Paul Gilbert than Guthrie. I just like a certain structure and tension/release to my music.

I think I saw this band once. The Valkhof festival in Nijmegen is a free open air festival as part of a week long festivities all throughout the city and me and some friends wandered on to it. And I remember them grating on my nerves back then. But for those who like it, here's a vid I found.

I think I was really close to the camera dude, as that was about where I stood.

I sure hope Essex Studios doesn’t buy all the guitars before sale like they did with the Mustaine sale. I still got some of Mustaines rack gear tho. I had no idea the sale was happening and I noticed some things the millisecond after it went live and I grabbed it. 🤨 A Some of Tosins gear looks worth trying for. it's so cool that artists do this for us.

I think what qualifies for as music for the mind or soul is highly subjective. Some people might find this soulful.

Agreed. I went through this same kind of conversation with my father when I got into Vai and Dream Theater back in my teen years. He kept going on about how they were all technique and no feel, so I’d play something like “Tender Surrender”, “Voices” or “Lines In The Sand” and he’d reply with, “They just know how to hit the right notes to fake emotion.” :tearsofjoy:

In regards to Tosin, I haven’t heard that one song that’s pulled me in yet but that certainly doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist or he hasn’t written it yet. I’ve been saying for a while now that he’s going to be one of the guys that pushes guitar playing into the next realm. Social media tells me that’s already the case with so many younger players being into that stuff right from the start. I had to work my way up to the technical stuff and these younger dudes are coming right out of the gate with it.

It’s like the more watered down pop/country/hip hop got, guitar playing went in the total opposite direction, which is fine by me!

Back
Top Bottom