Mix ir in daw or fm3? A big difference!

Giordydiver

Inspired
Good evening guys today I played to be an engineer with the ir, the results leave me perplexed and I can't find a reason.

So let's say that the purpose of the experiment was to mix two irs in one in order to save some cpu with the fm3, also to see if there was a difference by mixing them on daw or on fm3 directly.
The test went like this:
I took 2 irs of 500ms in .wav 48khz 24bit format and opened them on protools, obviously on two different tracks, and exported them into a mono signal 48khz 24bit. After that I converted it to .syx with the fractal cab-lab3 program.
I also converted the two same irs used before directly from .wav to .syx without going through protools.

Once loaded the irs I was speechless, the ir mixed on daw sounds one way, while the two irs put in the two slots of the cab block in a completely different way, but a hallucinating difference, the first one I feel much bigger , rich, airy with more hi end frequenzy, a real sound for me,
the second completely the opposite. My question is why ?? Shouldn't I have the same sounds?

Obviously the ir choices are at 48khz 24bit and I worked on daw keeping these parameters

Many variables. For example, did you use Minimum Phase Transformation or not.

Are you sure it's not just a volume difference you're hearing?

I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that when mixing 2 IRs in the Fractal, setting their individual mix levels the same would actually bring each down 6dB, so that the result of 2 normalized IRs (waveforms max at 0 dB) will be 0 dB.

If you haven't normalized each of your IRs... for example, they both max out at -6 dB, the mixed resulting output in the Fractal would still be -6 dB.
But in your DAW, if you DIDN'T bring the level of each track down 6 dB, the two summed together would result in a 0 dB full-scale (normalized) wave.

Last edited:
I found the different IR players I had sounded quite different, different interpolation methods and tastes in coding like everything else I suppose. CabLab was my favorite. :)

Back
Top Bottom