Just ordered some Blue Max-Fi headphones

boyedav

Inspired
I've had my Axe-FX III for close to two years. I mostly use it using 4CM with my tube head. When I've used it on it's own, it's been more comfortable for me to disable cab modelling, and run it into a Carvin 1540L, then into a traditional guitar cab. I guess I'm better at amp-in-the-room than FRFR. Old habits, and all that.

I'm hoping the Blue headphones will help me dial in tones that I can just send straight to FOH. It'd be nice to have the option of gigging with just the Axe and my footswitch. Then when I get the FM3, hopefully I have an even more portable option.

Any advice is appreciated.

FWIW, you are better off doing a search for 'Headphones' and 'Blue'. There have been very many threads on this from all different angles.

I have the older Mo-Fi's. I think you've made an excellent choice.

Any advice is appreciated.
Headphones and straight-to-FOH are hard no matter what headphones you're using. Your bass will be grossly underrepresented in headphones. Stereo is hard to get right in headphones because you can easily dial in things that don't work well when the left and right channels bleed together as they do in the case of using speakers. High frequency content is hard for headphones to get right.

The best thing you can do is "learn" a pair of headphones so you can compensate for their idosyncracies as you're dialing things in and hopefully not have to tweak much once you plug it in and turn it up with the band.

I have very old Senn HD 280 Pros I use when I need to go headphones -- not because they're amazing, but because I know them. I bought a set of AKGs about 3-4 years ago thinking it was time to level up my headphone game, but they didn't offer any advantages over the Senns and I had to re-learn how to dial things in with them, so they're sitting here collecting dust and the Senns got new cup pads and live to work another day.

I recently got a monitor mixer (Behringer Monitor2USB) with a crossfeed setting on the headphone output which, when used conservatively, helps a bit with the extreme stereo isolation problem you get with headphones.

Last edited:
I have the Blue Mix-Fi headphones and they're fine. I much prefer using monitors, but they work for silent playing.

Back
Top Bottom