Top 5 "Easy to get great tone" metal amps

Hello!

I'm struggling in terms of selecting right amp, so I created this thread to get some help.

Please suggest amp models which could be used to get good metal tone right away, with just amp and cab block (and maybe drive/screamer in front) and without a lot of tweaking (maybe there are amps which sound great with default settings - I can't find those).

There are too many of them, I tried several amps, tweaked a lot and still haven't got desired results. And yes, I know cab is very important, I tried lots of them.

I play modern metal in C# Standard and Drop B. I like tight fat tone which is not dull.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Both. Sennheisers HD800 as headphones. And I do have studio monitors (not too fancy ones).

The main problem is that I need to tweak amp models a lot to get satisfactory sound. Just want to get to some "easy" amp models.
Which studio monitors? There are all kinds of them, from “That's wonderful!” To “What’s wrong with my sound?”

VH4
MKIV
Dual Rec
FAS Brootalz

My main metal amp is usually the HBE and depending on how scooped I want it, I’ll tweak the EQ for the song. It just has a little more character, IMO, than most hi-gain amps. Somethin’ about the mids in the HBE just gets it to stand out a little better, even when the mids are scooped.

My apologies for not remembering the actual model names.

The biggest thing is finding a cabinet to work with the amp. Sometimes I’ll sit there and tweak an amp to death, thinking my cab is good to go, when all I had to do was search around for a better cab and barely touch the amp settings.

Check out Leon Todd’s IR’s, they’re free and I’ve gotten good results with them for multiple amps.

Which studio monitors? There are all kinds of them, from “That's wonderful!” To “What’s wrong with my sound?”
In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're using KRK Rokit 5's. While their price is great, there's no such thing as an amp model that's easy to dial in on those speakers.

VOX with a TS in front. HA!!! I think the some of the Friedman or USA IIC++ amps can get there with a boost. When I want METAL tones I use my Edwards LP loaded with Afwayu humbuckers from Motor City Pickups.

But I also trying to find what gels in the mix.

The Diezel VH4 silverface channel 4 with 412 diezel cabs, Mesa Rectifier Red Modern with 4x12 mesa cabs. Engl Powerball with Engl 4x12 cabs. These are fantastic for heavy metal rhythm and lead tones. The Mesa JP2C Red and EVH 5153 Lead amps are also fantastic. I also do lower the gain on the amps and put a TS Mod OD in front to get a tighter low end for rhythm tones as well.

Never had better tone than what I have now :)

Here are my High gain tones:

JD HiGain Tones - https://app.box.com/s/umxwkbspnbfujkq9ktgfg1k5fmgkea6s

JD HiGain Tones II - https://app.box.com/s/8acngys5ukggdmlh1werq85fl81abf6l

The first preset contains leads based on Soldano SLO 100, Mesa Rectifier Red Modern, Diezel VH4S Ch.4 and Friedman HBE 2018 and then Dry Rhythm versions so 8 scences in all.

The Tones II contains leads based on EVH5153 Blue, Engl PowerBall, Bogner Ecstasy and Cameron CCV and then dry versions of the EVH and Engl for metal rhythms.

Both have a fairly basic FX chain as I only really use Delay/Verb/Wah, very rarely use Chorus as a thickener :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MPZ
Triaxis yellow with the Shimmer drive, shimmer drive gain on 2.5 or 3. Maybe a little V in the 5 band eq.

Back
Top Bottom