Come Undone

iaresee

Administrator
Revisiting an old classic from my Axe-Fx II days at the request of @luckymethod.

NOTE: Version 2 is here in the thread.

The III has an honest to god 12 step mode now, so that's awesome. I still think there's an auto-wah on the chain so I kept that part from the preset for the II.

The amp+cab pairing I got from the Studio Clean preset in the factory banks. And the compressor is that new JFET model 'cause I like how it sounds on everything.

I stereoed it all up because, why not, right?

Tuned from my PRS Standard 24, so you might find it on the bright side if you're not using an all mahagony guitar as well.

Clip:

Preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8213 (despite what Axe-Change says, it was made with 14.00)

Last edited:
So, listening to the album again, and I actually think the panned-right phaser is just a stepped phaser now with the artifacts being part of the step function change. Similar to what happened on that Saigon Kick clip for Afraid. Could probalby do more to really nail the album sound, but this all seems close enough and no one ever complained it was unauthentic when I was covering it with the DD tribute. :)

You have to play this preset with the adjustment softly (picking) and it has to be in stereo. will not sound good at all in mono. I added a few things to this already great preset. I changed the compressor model, I low cut the cabinets to soften the bass, and to get the trwisting metallic effect I added a Flanger, and rotary and split the phaser and rotary to the right output, and the wah 1 and flanger to left output - great separation. added a resonator for additional metallic twist sound, and graphic eq which is matched to the 2nd position of my stratocaster with the highs rolled off slightly. This is my favorite Duran Duran song and I was lucky enough to have front row seats in biloxi in front of Warren Cuccurullo.
Best guitar tone I HAVE EVER HEARD!!

Attachments

• [iaresee] Come Undone.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
So, listening to the album again, and I actually think the panned-right phaser is just a stepped phaser now with the artifacts being part of the step function change. Similar to what happened on that Saigon Kick clip for Afraid. Could probalby do more to really nail the album sound, but this all seems close enough and no one ever complained it was unauthentic when I was covering it with the DD tribute. :)
duran duran tribute nice!! My dream tribute gig along with journey and pink floyd. Not many serious players here in Destin FL. Drives me crazy!!

You have to play this preset with the adjustment softly (picking) and it has to be in stereo. will not sound good at all in mono. I added a few things to this already great preset. I changed the compressor model, I low cut the cabinets to soften the bass, and to get the trwisting metallic effect I added a Flanger, and rotary and split the phaser and rotary to the right output, and the wah 1 and flanger to left output - great separation. added a resonator for additional metallic twist sound, and graphic eq which is matched to the 2nd position of my stratocaster with the highs rolled off slightly. This is my favorite Duran Duran song and I was lucky enough to have front row seats in biloxi in front of Warren Cuccurullo.
Best guitar tone I HAVE EVER HEARD!!

It sounds better when you experience it in front of the stereo separation. Also I never said I could play the song :)

It sounds better when you experience it in front of the stereo separation. Also I never said I could play the song :)

Oh my God that my playing is so bad on that it was super late and I've been working on that tone for a long time I didn't know I'm going to post a new video tonight

I really like how metallic the reflections are, I think you're onto something, but you're missing the wah/formant filter sound almost completely. A while ago I found out that the effect on that particular track might have been an autowah driven by a sequencer provided by the Adrenalinn II (https://equipboard.com/items/roger-linn-design-adrenalinn-ii) and I think it's something I want to explore, maybe it's a step sequencer and not the ADSR filter on the Wah the ticket to reproduce this sound.

Could you share your tweaked preset? I would like to steal some of your tricks, I pinky promise I will share my version back once I get somewhere interesting.

I found out that the effect on that particular track might have been an autowah driven by a sequencer provided by the Adrenalinn II
That resonates with what I'm hearing. Especially if it changed autowah settings with an envelope.

I really like how metallic the reflections are, I think you're onto something, but you're missing the wah/formant filter sound almost completely. A while ago I found out that the effect on that particular track might have been an autowah driven by a sequencer provided by the Adrenalinn II (https://equipboard.com/items/roger-linn-design-adrenalinn-ii) and I think it's something I want to explore, maybe it's a step sequencer and not the ADSR filter on the Wah the ticket to reproduce this sound.

Could you share your tweaked preset? I would like to steal some of your tricks, I pinky promise I will share my version back once I get somewhere interesting.
Yes its in an above post. It sounds much different in person with the stereo separation

@VegaBaby excellent tip! And we've got both an A/DA and a 12-stage phaser in the unit now! This pans the A/DA signal hard left and the 12-stage, stepped phaser signal hard right. I had to really jack up the feedback to get the stepped phaser to do those "clucks" on the step changes, but it's there now.

Damn! I think we're getting closer, gang!

Preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8214

make sure the A/DA is set to Odd Harmonics and jacking up resonance on the Phaser is not gonna do it. just gets too spikey. can't remember the exact parameter as I'm not in front of my rack right now, but I think you have to mess with the LFO parameters to make it sound real "steppy" like the Zoom...

make sure the A/DA is set to Odd Harmonics and jacking up resonance on the Phaser is not gonna do it. just gets too spikey. can't remember the exact parameter as I'm not in front of my rack right now, but I think you have to mess with the LFO parameters to make it sound real "steppy" like the Zoom...
I got it steppy by quantizing the LFO.

I got it steppy by quantizing the LFO.
that's not what i meant. I mean that real bubbly almost filter like character. iirc, there are a few controls, at least in the editor, on the bottom left of the Phaser page and messing with those gets you that filter like response without having to crank feedback

alright guys I made a bunch of changes to the previous preset posted. Very close to the zoom sound here.

Attachments

• [iaresee] Come Undone2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 31
@VegaBaby excellent tip! And we've got both an A/DA and a 12-stage phaser in the unit now! This pans the A/DA signal hard left and the 12-stage, stepped phaser signal hard right. I had to really jack up the feedback to get the stepped phaser to do those "clucks" on the step changes, but it's there now.

Damn! I think we're getting closer, gang!

Preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8214

Wowwww sounds really close, would you mind to make a cygnus version? Please.

Back
Top Bottom