Not a Bug Looper Play delay (1.06)

muaddib

Inspired
HoHi

I am running in some issues with the fm3 looper: the play action always has a delay between the press and the actual play action when recordingšŸ˜…

This mean you have to press it outside of the beat to get clean loop or the loop will not repeat cleanly

I don't have similar issues with my ax8 or any other loopers I used so I guess the issue is not between the chair and the fm3

No quantize / pure default.
This was already the case on 1.05 but I wanted to validate this.

I have this issue with stock presets. Eg: 005 a-class, switch reverb and rotary then replace rotary by looper.

Thanks for feedback on this ā˜ŗ

Last edited:
Reactions: FSM
Do you have both a press and hold function assigned to the button? If you do, the press action only triggers on release (and yes, the name 'press' is very misleading here). For the looper controls that I need to be immediate, such as record and play, I make sure to only have a press action assigned with no hold command.

The delay is a necessary evil in order for the FM3 to know whether you're trying to press or hold the button, as it can't read your mind. If you release before 500ms (or whatever you set it to), then it triggers the press command, and if you release after 500ms, it triggers the hold command. If there is only a press command, then there's nothing for the FM3 to have to distinguish between so it instead triggers the press command immediately on press instead of release.

Do you have both a press and hold function assigned to the button? If you do, the press action only triggers on release (and yes, the name 'press' is very misleading here). For the looper controls that I need to be immediate, such as record and play, I make sure to only have a press action assigned with no hold command.

The delay is a necessary evil in order for the FM3 to know whether you're trying to press or hold the button, as it can't read your mind. If you release before 500ms (or whatever you set it to), then it triggers the press command, and if you release after 500ms, it triggers the hold command. If there is only a press command, then there's nothing for the FM3 to have to distinguish between so it instead triggers the press command immediately on press instead of release.
Thank you, that's likely this
I suppose the default long press are the nav (eg: master view)...
So they are needed to navigate with the 3 buttons... So I guess I should invest in an external looper or additional buttons šŸ™‚[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
So, this is not a bug, but a problem with the layout?
Actually didn't experienced this, since I usually bake the functions of the looper which I need in my present using PP-FCs.

Iā€™d suggest setting the Record 2nd press to ā€œPlayā€ and making sure the Rec switch has no Hold function.

I couldn't tolerate the delay. Until I figured out what was going on, I was extremely disappointed with the unit. I fixed mine by resetting the "Record" function to have no hold, I moved the "Play" function to the right hand button with no "Hold", and set the middle button to "Erase" with hold for return to Layout 9. This works for me since the Half Speed, Reverse, etc. have no value for my purposes. Turned on quantization and now it works exactly as needed. Sold my Boomerang III.

Thanks to all - for some reasons I was expecting the "default" setup to come with a "perfect configured" looper so I didn't dig into user manual ;-)
Changing the setup to remove hold fixed the issue for my needs :)
No complains - factory make senses as it's choice between "user experience" and 'looper experience" ;)

Bonus: At least I feel better I am not the only one that cannot naturally account for the "press and release within 500msec" when recording loops :D

Reactions: FSM
Back
Top Bottom