So love & hate on HeadRush 108's - where do I go from here?!

sb-SG

Inspired
So apologies for yet another FRFR vs monitor thread but I am struggling to make sense of that difference and find suitable amplification for my III.
"bedroom" player, metal to ambient (but probably a lot more of the former :) ) requiring relatively moderate volume levels and a dislike of unintended distortion.
For years I adopted my KRKK 8's for my Fractal gear but, maybe on a whim, I tried HeadRush 108's. Something about the sound of these FRFR's really appealed and they are very economically priced BUT out of 3 units I only have one that functioned as it should - 1 of them had a distorted flapping bass sound on low frequencies (others have reported this) and the replacement for that overheated and shutdown (and didn't match the first one before it called it a day and packed up!). So whereas they definitely added something to my playing experience the apparent reliability and poor pairing means I won't use them.
BUT
when I plug back in my KRK 8's it sounds lifeless and dull lacking punch and musicality.
Now I get it that these are wildly different amplification devices and know how to EQ them closer but there seems to be more to it than just EQ? I could use words like punch, lively, gutsy....
I realise these are inexpensive monitors and not Adam A7X's (for example) but if I massively upgrade to better monitors I am still not sure it's going to get me the sound I am after.
The FRFR's just seemed to bring the guitar alive and without huge SPL. Am I imagining this? Could more effective EQ and volume move the airwaves in the same way?

I know its all about personal preferences, location, context etc etc but I am trying to avoid another heavy duty return and wasting a lot of time.
If it's going to be the monitor route then a lot of you on here say the A7X is a good place to go.
But if what I "need" is a good FRFR then where do I go from a 108?
I looked briefly at Matrix gear and noticed the fan which I would definitely prefer to avoid but is that the right territory?

Doubtless you've heard all this before but if anybody feels they can put their finger on it I'd be mighty interested to hear because right now I really am unsure which way to go.

Thanks.

^ Succinct :) 👍 . Unfortunately seem to be a rarity in the UK.

So a Laney LFR-112 dosen't get a look in?

I am steering a course to FRFR tho...

Last edited:
After much research....

I am definitely looking for FRFR - I think its a need to "get those trouser legs flapping..."
So that's good.
But which **** one? Line 6 Powercab (non-plus) in FRFR (non-speaker modelled mode) and they turn the HF driver off so I lose the ability to use HF with the superior IR's coming from the III - that seems weird....
And the Plus version - well that adds a whole load of duplicated stuff that I just don't need or want. And its expensive.
Can't get Atomic CLRs in the UK (easily if at all)
And I am suspicious of the Laney (for no good reason other than nobody mention it!)
So are the Matrix's really so superior? Either the GT1000 with 2 x passive cabs OR 2 either 10 or 12 active cabs. This is pricey....

Looking for reliable and best to do the III justice.

I too am suspicious of the Laney 112. Reviews say it`s 400 watt. Everywhere else states it`s 200 watts. If I went with Laney, I`d definately go for the 212 version. As for Xitone..... if you go that way, make sure Mick himself tells you he actually has the Dayton power amps and the specific speaker you want IN STOCK = in his possession.

I am still waiting for my order..... from him.

You might check out RCF coaxial (NX12-SMA) monitors, if they're available in your region?
They look fantastic but whereas I am looking at several times my original budget purchase I am struggling to justify those.

If Matrix can provide stock its likely I am going for a GT1000 and pair of passive 10's.

Another vote for RCF NX12 SMA (based on your location).
I have CLR, XiTone and the RCF. They're all amazing in their own way....but still, all amazing.
Any of those three are sure not to disappoint.
Buy once, cry once. (just like the Axe FX)

Any idea why the RCF is way more expensive than even the relatively high-priced CLR? Is that true outside the US too?

^ dunno. The RCF comes in at around £1300 per channel and that's around the cost of the stereo Matrix rig so double. I can't easily go that far... (probably...!)
But yes the Axe FX III seemed very pricey (specially in Europe) but best money I ever spent.

Get a used powercab 112+ if you need the HF thing. Mine was $700cad used.

It seems I was wrong on that - the FLAT mode does apparently keep HF on and there is another preset with just the 12 speaker on. I am a lot more interested in this as a result. I won't know till I hear it but it's got some advantages (the built in speaker models if they are any good) and disadvantages (physically bigger) to a Matrix rig.

Anybody else having a good experience with a Powercab?

So decision time - which is going to sound "better" - a Matrix rig with FR10P's and a GT1000
OR
Pair of PowerCab 112's
Appreciate this is subjective and lets ignore the £ / $ involved.
There's some differences but priority is a good FRFR for the III. If only I could try them both....

What's the frequency range and max SPL of each? Look at those, look at your needs and go from there. If they're dead even, go by price and reliability.

What's the frequency range and max SPL of each? Look at those, look at your needs and go from there. If they're dead even, go by price and reliability.

Well that's a part of it but specifications are often misleading. But in this both solutions will definitely move enough air (likely demolish my house...!) and whereas a 12 usually does more LF than a 10 what I am trying to guess is which will feel more "amp in the room".

And cost of Matrix significantly higher BUT it fits in better physically. Reliability? I have no idea.

I have a deal on a Powercab - I may just need to try it but Matrix gear holds up well here so ....

An impossible question. How many have experience of both? Not so many I guess.

Back
Top Bottom