Fixed FM3 Output suddenly goes silent

Feared

I’ve had a couple of issues the last couple of days where my fm3 just pops and stops giving any output at all until I restart it. Not changing any scenes or presets, it’s happening while I’m playing. The FM3 is behaving as it should and I can switch presets and scenes but there’s no output going out (in my case through output 2)

anyone with a similar problem? I’m a little worried because I was planning on using this live next year when we start gigging again.

New beta firmware has just been released. Should help.

I think that every time I had this problem in the last couple of betas, it was when there were 2 delay blocks in a preset. Is that the case when yours stopped? Just had it happen in the previous beta about an hour ago. Have not tried the same preset with the new beta yet to see if the glitch has gone.

Yeah it was every time I engaged or had delay engaged, even happened live on stream...
I’ll check the update thanks guys.
/Ola

I have experienced the same issue when playing music via USB and guitar at the same time. (Only plying music via USB with no guitar connected or only playing guitar with no USB audio processing is fine.)
It happends regardless of FM3-Edit being open or not; FM3 HP, FW 1.06 Beta 3, Windows 10. Looking at the "Meters" view in the "Layout" menu (see the attched picture) the output signal goes red. The attached picture show red outputs from the Amp-block but I have also seen red outs from the Wah-block (third block from left). Before going silent I noticed some very short audio drop-outs. When switching to an empty preset the sound via USB is back but when going to a not-empty preset it goes silent again. BTW the attached preset is based on the "MILO" preset.

Attachments

• Live Rig 1.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 200907-090054-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200907_085103[1].jpg
    20200907_085103[1].jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yeah it was every time I engaged or had delay engaged, even happened live on stream...
I’ll check the update thanks guys.
/Ola
hey ola! love everything you do and thanks for all your hard work!

you can DM me your preset - i'm a beta tester :) we can get to the bottom of this and see if we can recreate the issues you're facing. i have some ideas, but i'd need the preset to be sure. lemme know.

I have identical problems with FM3, v1.06 AND still in v.2.0 beta public 1.

Here I described the problems with version 1.06 (preseta avaiable in posts):
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-release-version-1-06.165312/post-1993056
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-release-version-1-06.165312/post-2002669
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-release-version-1-06.165312/post-2003179
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-release-version-1-06.165312/post-2003747

Here is a fresh video from beta 2.0 beta public 1:

@yek - no fixed in 2.0 beta public 1

In my opinion, at the moment this problem concerns at least some amplifier models:
friedman HBE,
Atomic High,
ARCHEAN BRIGHT

Not applicable:
HIPOWER BRILLIANT
BOUTIQUE 2
PLEXI 50W 6CA7

Attachments - cab settinngs and preset from 2.0 beta public 1

Attachments

• LP Atom 67 HJ 2.0beta.png
    LP Atom 67 HJ 2.0beta.png
    152.8 KB · Views: 2
  • LP Atom 67 HJ 2.0beta.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I have identical problems with FM3, v1.06 AND still in v.2.0 beta public 1.

Here I described the problems with version 1.06 (preseta avaiable in posts):
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-release-version-1-06.165312/post-1993056
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-release-version-1-06.165312/post-2002669
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-release-version-1-06.165312/post-2003179
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-release-version-1-06.165312/post-2003747

Here is a fresh video from beta 2.0 beta public 1:

@yek - no fixed in 2.0 beta public 1

In my opinion, at the moment this problem concerns at least some amplifier models:
friedman HBE,
Atomic High,
ARCHEAN BRIGHT

Not applicable:
HIPOWER BRILLIANT
BOUTIQUE 2
PLEXI 50W 6CA7

Attachments - cab settinngs and preset from 2.0 beta public 1

Wow, there are a lot of Control Switches and Scene Controllers being used in that preset.

I'm pretty sure that these attribute to the occasional audio gaps with this presets, and that it's not the same issue as Ola ("feared") experienced (which should be solved with 2.0 beta).

I can't see if it's the number of controllers / switches, or a specific one that causes occasional audio gaps. BryantP probably can.

@yek
My presets always look the same. It differs only in the model of the amplifier and drive depending on the guitar.

I use ControllSwitch to turn effect blocks on / off - because this is the only way that blocks can stay in their state when switching scenes (there is another method so that e.g. Delay or Tremolo remains turned on or still turned off when I change scene?)

And now - for some amp models (I gave them above) I have audio drops and sound disappearance (some time after 1-2minutes, sometime after several minutes)

For other amplifier models/preset (I gave them above as well) - I have no audio drops and no sound disappearance (from months!). And the preset is exactly the same for switches and scene controllers

So I believe that these audio drops and sound fading will not depend on the use and amount of Scene Controll or ControllSwitch. And 2.0 Public Beta 1 did not improve the hanging of the AMP block. See the video - exactly the same effect as in the photo of colleague GitarKnut (in one block we have OUT meter in red - and in all the following blocks are also meters red).

Last edited:
@yek, I followed this path, kicked various modifiers out of the preset.
There are three modifiers left in the AMP block itself - and there are still audio drops, and after a dozen or so minutes the sound disappears, the AMP block has a red out meters, and all subsequent blocks have red meters.

If I kicked modifiers ONLY from the AMP block (and all the other numerous modifiers are still in the effect blocks) - the audio drops disappear, there is no suspension.

I'm attaching a preset that has three modifiers in the AMP block and there are drops. The model of the amplifier is Atomic High.

Amazingly - I have presets with other amps (Boutiqe2, Hipower Brillant) that ALSO use many modifiers (including in the AMP block as well), but there are no sound artifacts and hangs.

Attachments

• error Atom 65%CPU HJ.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: yek
I'm also experiencing sudden audio dropouts. There is no sound after this happens and I have to restart my FM3. I can change and edit presets, but there is no sound. This happens on two of my presets. One included in this post.

Running FW 2.00 beta.

EDIT: I'm 98 % certain its the Delay 2 block. I've used it as a reverb and it had a controller on the diffusion parameter which got removed a while back. Removing the block enables me to play without dropouts. I reseted all channels in the block and it seemed to help at first, but the audio dropout still happens after a while. CPU doesn't say its overloaded but the unit seems to work a lot slower.

IMG_1492.jpgIMG_1493.jpg

Attachments

• MAIN JTM STRAT.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'm also experiencing sudden audio dropouts. There is no sound after this happens and I have to restart my FM3. I can change and edit presets, but there is no sound. This happens on two of my presets. One included in this post.

Running FW 2.00 beta.

EDIT: I'm 98 % certain its the Delay 2 block. I've used it as a reverb and it had a controller on the diffusion parameter which got removed a while back. Removing the block enables me to play without dropouts. I reseted all channels in the block and it seemed to help at first, but the audio dropout still happens after a while. CPU doesn't say its overloaded but the unit seems to work a lot slower.

When you remove the controllers from the Amp block, the preset works okay (I changed the user cabs to factory cabs to get sound).

The dropout is possibly caused by a combination of the two Delays and the controllers in the Amp block, overloading the 2nd CPU.

Hey all. I'm having the exact same problem, but I don't have any modifiers in the amp block, my FM3 drops audio when I start messing with the gate in the input block.

PXL_20201213_230508316.jpg

Attachments

• Rectal peq.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
Hey all. I'm having the exact same problem, but I don't have any modifiers in the amp block, my FM3 drops audio when I start messing with the gate in the input block.

View attachment 76248

The ratio of the input gate in your preset is set to 20. When you adjust the Threshold, sound will be muted. That's to be expected.

The ratio of the input gate in your preset is set to 20. When you adjust the Threshold, sound will be muted. That's to be expected.
The issue with the FM3 is not that the gate mutes the signal, it is that all the blocks have their i/o clipped, which can be seen in the photo I posted previously. This happens at a random time, and for me, it happens while changing the parameters (not exclusively threshold) of the gate in the input block, which I thought I should point out because other users said they have the same problem while tweaking the amp block. The issue cannot be resolved without a hard reset of the device. I don't think this behavior is normal and something to be expected.
For this particular block, I agree that setting the threshold too high is for sure going to effectively mute the sound of that block, however the threshold in the preset is set to off, and this was the last saved state of the preset before the issue manifested.

Back
Top Bottom