Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 14.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe so...I'd have to do a cab cut WAY down around 3.5k or so to get rid of the shrillness for me, and then all the sizzle and definition are gone. So I bet that isn't it. It's just hard for me to believe that my guitars are that much brighter than others. And I do have decent monitors (JBL LSR28p's) and I'm trying these tones out at about 90dB, so not brutally loud.

Still...I can get a really good tone out of this amp, but I've got to turn the treble and mids and presence down quite a bit compared to Leon. No doubt, this amp is a great addition. Might compete with the Atomica and the Hooks as my favorite Marshall-y amps.
The Plexis can be a bit bright. depending on cab choice. The stock presence setting plus bright switch setting (with stock cap setting) tends towards shrill. I'd suggest turning off the Bright switch for starters. Too dark? Push up the presence setting (with bright off) to see if you are able to nail the sizzle that you're looking for. If not, turn bright switch on, but dial cap value MUCH lower. With some tweaking, regardless of pickups, you'll be able to nail some fantastic plexi tones.

The Plexis can be a bit bright. depending on cab choice. The stock presence setting plus bright switch setting (with stock cap setting) tends towards shrill. I'd suggest turning off the Bright switch for starters. Too dark? Push up the presence setting (with bright off) to see if you are able to nail the sizzle that you're looking for. If not, turn bright switch on, but dial cap value MUCH lower. With some tweaking, regardless of pickups, you'll be able to nail some fantastic plexi tones.
Or, like the real amp, turn it up until it sounds good and back off the guitar volume for cleans/rhythm. Sounds great with my Strat and York Audio's Marshall 4x12 with 20W Celestions....

Do any of you experts out there have any guidance/tips/tricks on recreating the sounds of this classic and extremely rare "Langner" pre-amp from the past that is demonstrated in the following YouTube video? (using the Axe FX III or course)

Probably best to post a separate thread for this topic. It's not really related to new firmware ;)

The new Plexi 50W 6CA7 amp shows 4x12 Brit Greenback in the Speaker Impedance Curve suggestion. Anybody know another good cab that would compliment to set up dual cabs for the 6CA7?
I realize you are probably looking for factory cab suggestions, but I just dropped in one of the Ownhammer GNR IR's and it sounds pretty dang good. (The Thick mix) My go to 4x12 IR was pretty bright comparitively. It's using M75 speakers if you want to look for 'similar' IR's.

I used to program in Forth and Fifth at one time. It was awful and then along came CLIPPER which changed my life forever.

Well, it was easier anyway.

Or, like the real amp, turn it up until it sounds good and back off the guitar volume for cleans/rhythm. Sounds great with my Strat and York Audio's Marshall 4x12 with 20W Celestions....
Ya, i had one in the early 70's. Treble channel was good if you had it turned up, if it was lower it was to shrill. Normal channel was great with a distortion or drive pedal, then i discovered jumping the inputs and all was good. The 20 watt Celestions do sound really good and backing off on the volume knob on the guitar was SOP back then. And to keep up with this firmware thread, i was 12 in 1971 and learned Cobol in the early 80'. The 70's was so much better when listening to underground FM at that time, think what classic rock was!!!

Last edited:
Exactly. The cab model can make a huge difference. I own a G12H100 and you can run treble at noon with JCM800 at moderate gain. Then when I change to a G10L-35, you just have to crank the treble all the way down or otherwise your ears will hurt. You can fix some of this with adding gain or switching off the bright cap.

So if you doubt your Marshall amp has too much treble on tap, try a different Marshall speaker (M, H or L) or mod the amp to tame the treble.

Last edited:
.....at moments like this, reading this thread, I am reminded that I chose at a very young age to approach the then-infantile computer science like I did professional magic..(several of my lifelong dearest friends and coworkers are pro/prestidigitators) ......I don’t want to know the secrets , just let me enjoy the trick.......
I obviously missed out on a lot...and sometimes regret being unable to participate or comprehendwhen discussion takes this turn.........but I still don’t wanna know ..

Last edited:
Houston....I got a problem. I was enjoying Firmware 14 and just going through some amps when I came across something a little strange. The JVM amp is acting weird, like a tube is blown or going bad. At first I thought the battery on my guitar was going out, so I switched guitars and same deal happening. What's happening is that when I play notes on the second string at the 9, 10, 11, 12th frets the output of the axe-fx cuts out for a second. can someone try this preset to confirm this glitch? And YES I know that I have the preamp gain cranked. I did it because it further exaggerates the issue.
I ran accross this a while back - turned out that it is part of the charm of JVMs. See thread here

I’m a younger generation, around 2 decades past ‘71. So Java was already a thing when I started, and mainly work in C, C#, Python, JavaScript and TypeScript.

Wow, this came in at the right time. I've been working on this song that I used a Recto on, which was great for all the chugga chugga riffage stuff, but the chorus uses a single note progression over a pedal tone and it wasn't coming through with the Recto previously, to the point I started trying out different amps. That's certainly not the case anymore.

Thanks, Cliff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom