Neuralink

He has it right when he sais that we need to embrace this. Yes, it both scares and excites me. It has ENORMOUS potential for benefit and abuse. I'm more and more interested as I get older, and live with the inevitability of declining health.

The technical capability to augment your abilities is great, but as I've always said, 'EVERYTHING GETS HACKED EVENTUALLY'. Couple that will that this will COST (in which you can bring that down by that time honored corporate credo that you cede some autonomy by allowing them to control certain aspects...advertising now, but in the future, it could be something like using part of your brain as CPU in a grand computer...you get the idea.)

And from what I remember, Musk has stated that we are already living in an VR game. I can understand the reasoning behind it, that if you take virtual technology, fast forward a few hundred more years, and the complexity and detail will be indistinguishable from the 'real' world. The danger comes from allowing AI to 'choose' for us (which it already does in many ways...your google searches choose what you see more often than you do.) Automations that will create the environment around us (self driving code)...where does what is created for us end, and we begin? That line will waver increasingly into philosophical realms...what is free will, and what is pre-destined for us?

R

People who are laughing at this or doubting it have too short a time horizon. This shit will be everywhere in 2120, and AxeFx 15 will have support for it, to control the effects and adjust the presets. Imagine a "Neuralink" block which sounds the way you think it should sound, in realtime.

To get involved with something like this, you, meaning both a person considering an implant, and society in general, would have to really have a lot of faith in the company, both technically and ethically.
I don't know, if I was a quadriplegic, I'd get involved with Lucifer himself to get the use of my arms and legs back (and preferably also my dick, let's not forget about that). This is the first thing they plan to do with humans. I suppose it's because primitive versions of such systems already exist, they only support coarse motion though. Supporting fine control will be revolutionary, and it seems doable, on the surface.

People who are laughing at this or doubting it have too short a time horizon. This shit will be everywhere in 2120, and AxeFx 15 will have support for it, to control the effects and adjust the presets. Imagine a "Neuralink" block which sounds the way you think it should sound, in realtime.
Why bother with physical musical instruments at all? if you can think it, it can be blasted all over the neurolink. Why bother spending all those years learning guitar? I can just think of the full composition finished in my head, then send it out. No sense in searching for tone or the right notes.;)

Best I can tell, very few people can actually compose entirely in their head.

Thinking ahead, I’d like to see blockchain technology and public/private key encryption (asymmetric cryptography) implemented on the security side. It could be used to grant different types of access for limited amounts of times to people, companies, etc. Could also be used for thought payments, voting, physical access to things. I see endless possibilities emerging within this tech space.

Solar roof? :p
Yup. Nothing Elon does is revolutionary. It's all existing tech gussied up with fanfare and hyperbole.

Tesla's market cap is bigger than Toyota's but Toyota sells 30 times as many cars as Tesla. Totally illogical.

The big carmakers will eventually have electric models. VW, Toyota, GM, et. al. will all have electric cars. The tech in an electric car is simple. The biggest issue is the batteries. Once batteries become commodity the other manufacturers will quickly catch up.

In the not-so-distant future electric car infrastructure will be commonplace. I envision charging stations in shopping centers, restaurants, etc. You insert your credit card, plug in the charger and go shopping. When you come out you unplug and your card gets charged for the amount of electricity you used. These charging stations will be universal and work with the "Electric Vehicle Alliance" charging standard.

I still maintain Elon is more P. T. Barnum than B. F. Skinner. Apparently MIT agrees with me:
https://www.technologyreview.com/20...s-neuralink-demo-update-neuroscience-theater/
That's what people were saying about both Tesla and SpaceX just a few years ago. "It's never going to fly". "It's never going to land". "Only the Russians can build competitive rocket engines". "He will never win against traditional car manufacturers". "Satellite internet is too slow". "Nobody can operate this many satellites". "It's just a Lotus Elise with batteries". We are currently at: "neural implants are never going to work", "SpaceX won't be able to build a Mars base", and "solar roof is pointless". Though at least people are now smart enough to not say that the BFR won't fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a few people in the rocket industry and they won’t go near SpaceX. The main reason is they burn people out at a crazy rate with aggressive timelines. It takes a certain type of “really smart but also fanatic” person to stick around there. I would assume Elon’s other ventures are similar. I can respect that he does have a history of bringing products to market (let’s ignore hyperloop and remember that even Boring Co landed a contract last year I think). I can’t afford anything Elon does but it’s entertaining to see someone out there trying to put lofty ideas into reality.

It's really not that new as an idea. We already have cochlear implants, but of course those leads only go into the internal ear. But there are teams working on analogous systems for vision, and there are two approaches. One is to implant tiny vision receptors in the back of the eye (cyber-retinas, so to speak), and with today's phone camera systems being as good as they are, it's just a matter of time.

The other approach is to have the mini camera mounted on the nose bridge of a pair of specs, with a Cochlear-type terminal around the back of the head connected to the camera through the side arm of the specs.

Then INSIDE the skull, on the visual cortex of the brain (on the medial aspect of the occipital lobes), there is implanted a ceramic plate with thousands of tiny needle-like electrodes extending down into the brain (to cortical level 4). This system relays the vision from the camera to the transmitter at the back of the head, then through the skull wirelessly to your optical implanted ceramic plate and hence to the brain directly. This is great for vision loss due to interruption of the neural pathways between the retina and the visual cortex.

The retinal camera implants ("bionic eye" don't work in that scenario.

This latter system with the implanted ceramic electrode plates is currently being trialed in several countries, and one of the leading research teams is here in Australia, in Melbourne. https://www.monash.edu/industry/success-stories/bionic-eye

I can’t afford anything Elon does
You will soon be able to afford Starlink. It was promised that it will be priced competitively against cable internet. You can sign up for beta here: https://www.starlink.com/. Fun fact: once, completed, the full Starlink constellation will be an order of magnitude larger than all others in orbit, combined. I'll let you decide if that's PT Barnum or what.

Neuralink is another reason to think that Elon Musk is a genius of our time. Moreover, this project is an answer to all his haters who state that his only aim is to earn money, and he never cares about ordinary people. I can't stop admiring this person because his mind is full of revolutionary ideas. And it's great that he has enough money and resources to bring these ideas into reality :) .

Back
Top Bottom