Reverb has turned into fee bay

EdgE

Fractal Fanatic
So I haven’t sold on reverb for a few months ,just sold my ax8 and a friedman pedal . Reverb was fair before and in the past sold lots of stuff , every thing I sold went into my paypal . Then come this week , sold those pieces , they held my money ,never happened before . There percentage has gone up , still not much ,but the real kicker is they charge a processing fee now .so the selling fee was 50.00, processing was 31.00, and now I have to give them an account number and a Pin routing number .they told me they fazed out pay pal . yea I’m pissed

Dude; you aren't kidding. I just sold (something) there for the first time since Reverb Payment became the only option (and the fees went up) and the difference between what the buyer paid and I what I netted was ASTRONOMICAL. What a sh!tshow this has suddenly turned into.

Yea , the selling fee isn’t to bad, the processing fee is higher
For a reverb preferred seller, the fee is 2.5% + $0.25 per transaction.
For any other seller that is using reverb payments , the fee is 2.7% $0.25 per transaction.

I've seen a lot of gripes about this, but for guitars, isn't it about the same fee structure as eBay? For other things, isn't it less expensive than eBay?

Don’t really get people complaining about using a business, who is in business to make money, to sell their stuff.....

If you want to sell for no fees there are plenty of optons, but if you want the reach of Reverb, EBay etc, you are going to pay a fee for it....

It’s like people complaining guitar center doesn’t give them enough money on used gear.... they aren’t buying it to do you a favor, they are buying it to resale and make a profit.

Business is business at the end of the day, no?

Don’t really get people complaining about using a business, who is in business to make money, to sell their stuff.....

If you want to sell for no fees there are plenty of optons, but if you want the reach of Reverb, EBay etc, you are going to pay a fee for it....

It’s like people complaining guitar center doesn’t give them enough money on used gear.... they aren’t buying it to do you a favor, they are buying it to resale and make a profit.

Business is business at the end of the day, no?
It's not really people complaining about paying fees. i was always ok with the fees reverb charged, I was ok with them raising it to 5%, but then to add on a separate processing fee.
I can understand them charging a processing fee when you use one of their payment methods, but to charge a processing fee on a transaction paid via paypal?
They are charging you for the processing of a payment that they didn't process.
I work in banking and sell Merchant Services regularly to our business customers, and the fee they are charging sellers is the fee normally charged by their merchant service provider for processing a payment via visa or mastercard,. So if they are not actually processing the payment they aren't being charged the processing fee by their service provider., yet they are passing the cost through anyway to the seller. That just doesn't seem right to me. I mean, I do realize it is a ploy to get you to use their payment system in order to not pay a processing fee to them and paypal. But it is a dirty tactic.

It's not really people complaining about paying fees. i was always ok with the fees reverb charged, I was ok with them raising it to 5%, but then to add on a separate processing fee.

Doesn't ebay charge the same processing fee? Does it matter whether reverb or paypal actually does the processing? Wouldn't you expect to pay a fee for that service either way?

Doesn't ebay charge the same processing fee? Does it matter whether reverb or paypal actually does the processing? Wouldn't you expect to pay a fee for that service either way?
Yes I do expect to pay the processing fee, But I only expect to pay it to one, not both. If you receive a payment Via Paypal on reverb you are now paying that fee to reverb, AND to paypal. And Reverb isn't doing anything to process the payment.
Don't know about eBay as I stopped selling anything on there years ago.

Does any company EVER get better after a buy-out? I think the only (I'm generalizing) time you see it is after company X is bought out and run into the ground, then another company comes in and buys X for a song and starts putting money back into it. I've seen it time after time in the plastics packaging industry. The arrogant purchasing company buys the successful company because they're successful, and then starts changing them to "their" way, and/or cash starving the plants. It looks good on paper short term because profits go up. But long term they lose customers and the good employees and start closing plants.

The market will ultimately be the judge for Etsy's changes to Reverb.

Yes I do expect to pay the processing fee, But I only expect to pay it to one, not both. If you receive a payment Via Paypal on reverb you are now paying that fee to reverb, AND to paypal. And Reverb isn't doing anything to process the payment.
Don't know about eBay as I stopped selling anything on there years ago.

Are you sure you pay twice with paypal? I'm pretty sure you pay the 2.9% once, but I haven't sold anything on reverb recently.

In any case, I think you'll find reverb's fees are similar to ebay, especially for non-guitar items. I get that people don't want to pay more than they have to, but if their fees are in line with their main competitor, how can that be considered excessive?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom