UA audio interface & plugin promotion

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I'm planning on buying a UA interface in the Fall. I was at my guitar store other day and guy told me if i'm not in a rush to wait til October as they often have 0% financing deals. I see UA has a promotion now for free plugins with purchase of selected interfaces. I'm shooting to get the X6 rackmount. here are the plugins they're throwin in (approx value $1891) but deal ends sept. here are list of plug ins for the deal:
V76 Preamplifier
• Century Tube Chan-nel Strip
• Pure Plate Reverb
• Galaxy Tape Echo
• Oxide Tape Recorder
• Neve 1084 Preamp and EQ
• Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Collection
• UA 610 Tube Preamp & EQ Collection
• UA175B/176 Tube Compres-sor Collection

or i wait after this promo ends. get 0% financing and maybe UA has another promo to throw in a UAD 2 Satellite for free.

What would you go for? also, i'm not a heavy plug ins user (yet) i understand UA equipment is all about using those unison plug-ins. so eventually i'm sure i'll get hooked.

They always have different promos going on...that one is ok, but maybe not their best deal..but not a bad way to start...the Neve 1084 , Galaxy, and UA610 are particularly useful....

A few things...

1. Don't finance stuff that goes down in value- 0% is nice til you don't pay it off- it's what 25% apr? from 6 months before- don't.

2. You could have bought $2000+ in plugins a month or two ago for $400-500 - their sales have been VERY aggressive- don't be pushed into hardware- you might even be better off used at this point.

3. I'd be crazy to spend good money on plugins- but- I did. Their sales were so crazy, I spent $1250 cash out of pocket... and even right now I could get the $899 bundle out of pocket with $50 coupon with discount from what I already own for only $100. I think I'm gonna do it-

4. Nothing is free, everything you're getting free you're paying for. So, be careful.

I totally hear ya. I've been planning on the hardware for quite some time. the 0% would be easy to do. 12 month term and paid out before term up. Not many Apollo interfaces on the used market in my area so I'd just get new. Good to know they have aggressive sales from time to time

I totally hear ya. I've been planning on the hardware for quite some time. the 0% would be easy to do. 12 month term and paid out before term up. Not many Apollo interfaces on the used market in my area so I'd just get new. Good to know they have aggressive sales from time to time
Owners tend to hold on to older units because ,as you will discover, when using a single Apollo ,. DSP is a quickly diminishing resource with any number of FX used in Console or your DAW, so daisy chaining units is a very common thing with UA users.

The fact that their plug-ins are very CPU intensive and can't be used with a different interface would be a big deterrent.

The fact that their plug-ins are very CPU intensive and can't be used with a different interface would be a big deterrent.

All their hardware comes with built in DSP chips, if you run out they have satellite units for more processing- it's super efficient and near zero latency.

I have 8 processors, and have rarely got passed 25% of one or two of them

I went ahead and completed my analog classics pro bundle for only $100 out of pocket

450-the plugins I own=$150-50 coupon= $100

While I think I'm crazy for spending $1245 over the last 2 months on plugins....

It's literally $7000+ in plugins.

okay so i'm goin with either the x6 rackmount or the x4 desktop. I'm very partial to rackmount gear and x6 obvs has more I/O. Can anyone make a case for why i should go for the x4? its a few hundred dollars difference which is okay either way for me. So cost not much a factor for me. i read the x6 has only 2 preamp enabled inputs for unison. Now i dont' know it that means 2 physical inputs are dedicated or i can assign any 2 inputs at any time. If so, that kinda sucks and the x4 has all 4 inputs enabled for unison. I will be using 4 inputs at all times. 2 for my Axe II and 2 for my Keyboard. Then every now and then connecting a bass for recording...either hiz on apollo or just use the Axe FX. Going all analogue

okay so i'm goin with either the x6 rackmount or the x4 desktop. I'm very partial to rackmount gear and x6 obvs has more I/O. Can anyone make a case for why i should go for the x4? its a few hundred dollars difference which is okay either way for me. So cost not much a factor for me. i read the x6 has only 2 preamp enabled inputs for unison. Now i dont' know it that means 2 physical inputs are dedicated or i can assign any 2 inputs at any time. If so, that kinda sucks and the x4 has all 4 inputs enabled for unison. I will be using 4 inputs at all times. 2 for my Axe II and 2 for my Keyboard. Then every now and then connecting a bass for recording...either hiz on apollo or just use the Axe FX. Going all analogue
Get the x6..the inputs 1 and 2 can be either unison or Line in, much more routing options ..you may end up using the Apollo's SPDIF in from the II.

Last edited:
i was kinda hell bent on the ua hw/plug in thing....but the waves sw plugs are excellent and the new mac pro 16 is pretty darn fast. either way...the tools for sound production sure have come a long way.

i was kinda hell bent on the ua hw/plug in thing....but the waves sw plugs are excellent and the new mac pro 16 is pretty darn fast. either way...the tools for sound production sure have come a long way.
So many great tools/toys at our disposal. Honestly i'm a bit of a noob with plug-ins but plan to school myself a lot this year and delve deep into home recording. This is goin to be my one-off big purchase for quality interface. Retire the old Saffire Pro 40. I just got a new mac few months ago so should be flyin'.

So many great tools/toys at our disposal. Honestly i'm a bit of a noob with plug-ins but plan to school myself a lot this year and delve deep into home recording. This is goin to be my one-off big purchase for quality interface. Retire the old Saffire Pro 40. I just got a new mac few months ago so should be flyin'.
yeah, the waves plug ins were highly rated when they came out...5-10 years go by and voila, they’re relatively cheap now!

Get the x6..the inputs 1 and 2 can be either unison or Line in, much more routing options ..you may end up using the Apollo's SPDIF in from the II.
This is likely a dumb question but i'm very new to UA and the unison tech. So with the X6 are the physical inputs 1&2 dedicated for unison? say my Axe II using these inputs to play into some plugins just for color (non recording) and general practice. But if i wanted say analog inputs for my yamaha modx keyboard into inputs 3&4 i could not have unison play? i'd have to swap the physical inputs to 1&2 to get the unison realtime playback on my keyboard? I'm a bit confused as i thought i read somewhere you can just assign the inputs via console and virutally assign unison plugins to any physical input. Or is it because on the X6 only the first two inputs are actual preamps and the others are just line inputs? perhaps i just answered my question here?...

Last edited:
This is likely a dumb question but i'm very new to UA and the unison tech. So with the X6 are the physical inputs 1&2 dedicated for unison? say my Axe II using these inputs to play into some plugins just for color (non recording) and general practice. But if i wanted say analog inputs for my yamaha modx keyboard into inputs 3&4 i could not have unison play? i'd have to swap the physical inputs to 1&2 to get the unison realtime playback on my keyboard? I'm a bit confused as i thought i read somewhere you can just assign the inputs via console and virutally assign unison plugins to any physical input. Or is it because on the X6 only the first two inputs are actual preamps and the others are just line inputs? perhaps i just answered my question here?...
Yes you did. Any of the Unison-enabled plugins (which are a minority of the ones available) , can also be used on any input, physical or virtual, and as I noted above , In 1 and two can be etiher preamp or line ,

Back
Top Bottom