Sustainer guitars anyone?

My bandmate 'didn't' change the bridge pickup on the EOB strat, he swapped the middle pickup, which IS, a single coil pickup with the dynamics of cardboard. It was done via p/u lead splice which had nothing to do with the switch or PCB so not so not only was the 'shoot him because he's too stupid' rant not necessary... it was pointless. In the case of Sustainiac, he just doesn't like EMG active. My only reason for posting was suggesting the OP might ask the people that make the guitars because there is a lot more going on than meets the eye. As well adding a disclaimer to a jackass comment doesn't remove the jackass part of it. Speaking in hyperbole of course.

While his main axe "EVO" doesnt have sustainer, several other of his JEMs has it installed. And several of his new "PIA" model as well.

Yeah, I'm a Vai nut, I'm aware.

He recently started trying out Sustainiac's in the PIA's and is hoping to get something working with them or the JEM/PIA line, or even just a signature pickup. It's such a huge part of his thing now it seems silly he wouldn't work with someone on it. Fernandes had plenty of time to jump on that boat but it's been 20 years now.

It was a few months of designing and building, but the guitar of my dreams was built about 9 years ago. I added a Sustainiac and a Graph Tech Ghost system and a Tremel-No to my Music Man JPX. For better midi control, I replaced the Graph Tech midi up-down toggle switch with two push-buttons. Even with the two mini-switches and the two push-buttons, I don't think the look of the JPX was changed much.

The Sustainiac in fundamental mode lets notes ring forever, including sliding to different notes. Mix mode is very much like amp feedback, the fundamental rings for a while then transforms into a harmonic. Harmonic mode is similar but with higher harmonics. When not in sustainer mode, the Sustainiac is one heck of a pickup, combining well with either coil of the bridge pickup. Some people say the Sustainiac affects the sound of the other pickups, so to avoid potential problems the bridge pickup is connected to the sustainer only when sustain is enabled. Alan Hoover of Maniac Music, who invented the Sustainiac, was very helpful verifying the relevant part of the electrical design.

JPX.jpg

I have the Fernandes Strat style sustainer - a very nice guitar. I bought the EOB Strat but sold it shortly after. The Fernandes is a better guitar for me.

Back
Top Bottom