Jimi Hendrix's Marshalls

Have any of you ever seen a photo of Jimi live that showed his amp settings, or an article where Jimi himself says what settings he uses? I haven't. I've seen where various people said he ran everything full out, but I doubt it. You can clearly see him going back to his amps and adjusting knobs at various live shows.

I don't know if the info is accurate or not, but I saw a post somewhere by a guy that said he'd been on the stage and saw Jimi's Marshall settings on one of his amps and they were:

Presence 6
Bass 4
Middle 6
Treble 4
High Treble Volume 8
Normal Volume 0

Randy Hansen gets a good Jimi Hendrix sound live. Randy used two Marshall Plexi stacks at Winthrop with his guitar plugged into the top left input of one Marshall with another cable going over to the top left input of a second Plexi.

The knobs on Randy's first Plexi were:
Presence 3
Bass 8
Middle 4
Treble 4 & 1/2
High Treble Volume 7
Normal Volume 0

The knobs on Randy's second Plexi were:
Presence 6
Bass 3
Middle 3
Treble 6
High Treble Volume 5
Normal Volume 0

Robin Trower gets a good Jimi Hendrix like sound. On a rig rundown you can see his Marshall 1987x settings.

Presence 0
Bass 0
Middle 4 & 1/2
Treble 2 & 1/2
High Treble Volume 2 & 1/2 or 3 & 1/2.

He said he gets various stages of extra gain he needs by using various Fulltone pedals.

I think Jimi would sound like Jimi through any rig.....you hear the playing and just know it’s him. It’s like Gibbons, Gilmour etc, lots of very different rigs over the years but you always know who it is.

I think we know all the secrets to these guys gear at this point, but still hard to sound like them, which suggests gear really wasn’t the key to their tones

I think Jimi would sound like Jimi through any rig.....you hear the playing and just know it’s him. It’s like Gibbons, Gilmour etc, lots of very different rigs over the years but you always know who it is.

I think we know all the secrets to these guys gear at this point, but still hard to sound like them, which suggests gear really wasn’t the key to their tones
That’s the truth. One of my favourite Jimi recordings is Cafe Au Go Go from 1968. IIRC Jimi played through a stock Fender amp with a Maestro fuzz and totally sounded like himself (great as always).

Reactions: ESW

For sure. I recently stumbled onto this 9 year old post where steadystate does a note for note rendition of the Heartbreaker solo on an Ultra. It's so good it could plausibly pass as a Zeppelin studio outtake, but it was recorded using a Carvin DC-127 with the Supertweed.

It goes without saying that Jimi would sound like Jimi through any rig. His live sound does change from 67 to 70 though. His sound at Monterey was very different from his sound with the Band of Gypsys at the Fillmore, and his sound at Woodstock was different again. Mainly in the midrange to me. The sound he got was very important to him.

The fuzz face in the Axe FX sounds great, but it does not interact with the guitar the same way as a real fuzz does when using your volume knob. I have to go into my Roger Mayer classic fuzz or an old Fuzz Face first then into the Axe FX for that.

It goes without saying that Jimi would sound like Jimi through any rig. His live sound does change from 67 to 70 though. His sound at Monterey was very different from his sound with the Band of Gypsys at the Fillmore, and his sound at Woodstock was different again. Mainly in the midrange to me. The sound he got was very important to him.
I've also been also drooling for those tones for ages. I think I'm using a JTM45 model in Normal channel with the Plexi 100W tone stack and a few tweaks for Jimi tones atm. I also changed the Pyramid JH string set to my strat a few years ago and never looked back. I think it sounds and feels great.

Here's a small clip when I tried the 1968 Cafe Au Go Go setup from few years ago. Axe FX II with Ibanez Roadstar. Sorry about the crackle and noise, I have a really noisy house. Although the original recording also has lots of noise.

Also here's some snippets from my notes:
"The 100 Watt Marshall amps use the same NFB circuit as the 50 watt amps but the voltage at the 4 ohm tap is 41% higher so they get 41% more NFB which tightens up the transition from clean to distortion and makes the overdrive tone more aggressive."

"JTM 45 is tube rectified, JTM 45/100 solid state. Lower supply sag for 100W model."

"• Jimi bell-like sound: pick/play from neck
• Jimi blues song sounds: play more from bridge
• More fatness to fuzz sounds: play with thumb and fingers"

"As far as Jimi's strings were concerned, he used the Fender `150' set which is gauged .010, .013, .015, .026, .032, .038, and composed of a pure-nickel outer jacket in a roundwound format."

"For the 1967 Black flag the closes amp model in Axe FX is 1987X JMP.
• These transformers are very similar but the 132 has slightly less bass than the 119
• first Black Flag amps used 270K mixer resistors (like the JTM45s), whereas the last ones used 470K mixer resistors (like the later amps), resulting in slightly more gain as well as more low midrange on the bright channel.
• This amp can be seen the first time June 18 1967 at Monterey and appears to have been used extensively for dirty tones on Axis: Bold as Love."

"High-capacitance cables shift the resonance towards the lower frequencies which dramatically alters tone. For example, Jimi Hendrix used a coiled cord with 3,000 picofarads (.003 microfarads), shifting the resonance below 2,000 Hertz on his Strats. Shifting the resonance frequency at 2,000 Hertz has a similar effect to a midrange boost. However, when he recorded and needed a typical Strat sound for some tracks, Jimi switched to a short, low-capacitance cable."

"Eddie Kramer did a video several years ago and he specifically laid out that four mic formula; it included the SM57. Whether he used it London I can't say, but to my ears, it worked. Sometimes the English studio engineers used SM58s which give a nice mid-lift to Strats (Robtin Trower still does this reportedly). But no question the M160 and Room mic U67 dominate (at zero db) on the Board; the MD421 on cone at -3db give sit some mid focus, and he blended the SM57 at -10db. If you lost the Sm57 it probably would not change the sound much."

“In the studio, we’d have some other circuits to put in front of the Fuzz Face to drive the unit differently. Of course, in the studio you can vary the voltage you’re running the Fuzz Face on, so we had much more control. I’d put different buffers with different equalization in front of them to drive the actual Fuzz Face from a low-impedance source rather than the high impedance of the guitar. Then we’d add the distortion after that with pre-EQ. Then we could also fuzz the device with post-EQ.
“You’re not going to get the tone that Jimi Hendrix got on a record with one simple device – that’s not going to happen, mate!”"

Last edited:
I think that’s one of the reasons I admired Hendrix.
He was always experimenting trying to come up with new sounds...this is a cool thread.

Click on the YouTube video name near the top of the video for links to 33 "Jimi Hendrix - Behind the Scenes" videos with Eddie Kramer. In many of them Eddie isolates Jimi's guitar tracks or other instruments.

According to an article published by Rolling Stone in 1970, while on trial for heroin possession upon landing at Toronto International Airport, "Jimi Hendrix claimed to have smoked grass four times, hash three times, dropped acid fives times, and sniffed coke twice but had 'outgrown' drugs."

Hendrix always maintained that he never touched heroin. In addition to this, Roger Meyer, Hendrix's sound engineer for many years, believes the speculation surrounding his drug use has been exaggerated. In an article written by the BBC, Meyer said, "You can't play the guitar to that standard on stage or in the studio if you're stoned on drugs."

Jimi Hendrix's Marshall sound changed from 1967 to 1970. In particular in the color of the midrange. Likely due to mods to his Marshalls, speakers, or maybe his guitars.

I have a couple of Marshall SLP 1959 Plexis I bought used about 30 years ago. I'm not sure what year each of my Marshalls are, or if they were modded or not. I did have an amp tech that had worked on Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck's amps work on them years ago. I compared my Plexis directly to the ones in the Axe FXIII last night. With the exact same settings they sounded very different. I was surprised how much more high treble my Marshall had, how much tighter the bass was, and how the midrange seemed to be a different frequency than the ones in the Axe FX III. Mine had the midrange sound of Jimi's Marshalls at Woodstock or at the Fillmore with the Band of Gypsys. I could not get that color of midrange from the models in the Axe FXIII with just the basic tone controls. I was eventually able to get real close using added EQ.

I have a Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz and a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz I bought many years ago. I tried them out though my Plexis last night also. I'd forgotten how much extra gain the Axis Fuzz has than the Classic Fuzz. It has twice as much volume available. The Axis Fuzz is as loud with the volume on 5 as the Classic Fuzz is on 10. I noticed something else also. When rolling the volume on my Stratocaster down from 10 to 7 with the Axis Fuzz turned on, the sound cleaned up completely but the natural tone of the guitar did not change at all. The doing the same thing with the Classic Fuzz the guitar cleans up in the same way but the sound gets much brighter. Both are useful.

Last edited:
The fuzz face in the Axe FX sounds great, but it does not interact with the guitar the same way as a real fuzz does when using your volume knob. I have to go into my Roger Mayer classic fuzz or an old Fuzz Face first then into the Axe FX for that.

Isn't this why we have an impedance option in the input block? I think that's what it is, at least.

"You can't play the guitar to that standard on stage or in the studio if you're stoned on drugs."
You'd be surprised...

Years ago, I saw Megadeth open for Dio... They played 3-4 songs before Mustaine spoke a word to the audience and her was tearing up the guitar (I say that not being a fan of the band or Dave, in particular).

As soon as he started to speak I realized he was completely shit-faced drunk. He could barely string together a coherent sentence, he was berating the audience, words extremely slurred, etc.

I was dumbfounded.

I saw Joe Walsh in Dallas many years ago and he was so drunk he couldn't even plug in his guitar, but he played great that night. Afterwards I asked him how he was able to play so well being that drunk. He said "I wrote all of these songs drunk, I practiced them drunk, and I play them drunk. It's my natural state of mind."

Here's the manual for the Marshall Super JH-100. There is a lot of technical info in it about the amp. I'd love to have this as one of the new amps in the Axe FXIII someday.

Attachments

• Marshall Super JH-100 manual.pdf
    680.7 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom