What is your player level?

What level of player would you consider yourself?

• Beginner

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Intermediate

Votes: 156 70.3%
  • Advanced

Votes: 72 32.4%

• Total voters
Some strange stuff here.
1st-speed is BS. I know kids that can shred and sweep like crazy. Ask them to follow a 1,4,2 5 and they go huh?
So advanced is very over rated.
But for me, Examples of advanced players is about all I can do.
Eric Johnson, Tina S., Jeff Golub and probably dozens of session players and many, many more.
Who is Tina S. you say? Aha!

It is when we want to do something outside of our comfort zone when our level is challenged.

I am currently challenged trying to play Chopin Nocturne 20 in C# minor. First I thought it was going to be easy, but it is taking me a lot of effort :sweatsmile:

I will share it here, in case that you also want to take the challenge:

The objective is to record two guitars playing the right and left hand parts respectively.

1) Learn to pay both parts. Be faithful to the original composition. I attach the MIDI file with right and left hands on separate channels, for easy reference (I use the piano roll mouse-scroll audition function to listen the notes).
2) Find a nice and pleasant clean tone. No high gain or shredding!
3) Play the trills picking or fingering. No tapping
4) Pay attention to the dynamics (check the attached score and listen carefully to the performances)
5) Record the two guitar tracks at the DAW
6) Do not record with a metronome. The tempo must flow. That is the magic of performing this piece (indications at the score)
7) You can record over the attached MIDI (it has tempo and dynamic changes), use an existing performance to play over it (there are several performances to chose on YouTube, all of them different) or start from scratch at your own pace.

Think it is easy? Record it and listen to yourself :)

Attachments

• ChopinN20.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 3
  • chopin-frederic-nocturne-in-c-sharp-minor-posthumous-43903.pdf
    399.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Advanced. I'm a full-time music professional, have a BA in music, played / worked with a bunch of name artists etc.

So cool! I would have crapped my pants and thrown up at the same time in a situation like that :grin:
That's how I felt the first time... And it's even worse because there's a line of people ahead of you. You get to stand in line while the doubt, anxiety, fear, etc builds. Also, I didn't know what I was going to play until about 2 minutes before I got onstage.

It was also on the first day of camp and I had driven about 8 hours to get there. I was tired!

The 2nd time (the one I posted) was 18 months later and while I still had many of the same emotions going on, I knew that I would survive and I was prepared.

If you ever get the chance, do it! Both Steve and everyone in the band are outstanding players and very welcoming.

I've been playing since I was 15 and I'm now 54. I toured the club scene all across the USA for 8 years in a Hair Metal band. I still play clubs but locally as a hobby. I recently recorded an album in my studio totally unprofessional and its on YouTube, spotify and iTunes. I played all the instruments except the drums,wrote and sang all vocals and its called Curse the Darkness if you want to have a listen. I still suck at being a musician. My phrasing is bad and I don't have a great voice but I still do it and love it. I guess I'm a total professional "wish I was good"musician. Some people have it and some people either have to work hard at it or they don't have it.

I've been playing since I was 15 and I'm now 54. I toured the club scene all across the USA for 8 years in a Hair Metal band. I still play clubs but locally as a hobby. I recently recorded an album in my studio totally unprofessional and its on YouTube, spotify and iTunes. I played all the instruments except the drums,wrote and sang all vocals and its called Curse the Darkness if you want to have a listen. I still suck at being a musician. My phrasing is bad and I don't have a great voice but I still do it and love it. I guess I'm a total professional "wish I was good"musician. Some people have it and some people either have to work hard at it or they don't have it.

Umm...have you ever searched YouTube for "Curse the Darkness"? if you want us to listen you're going to have to give a link.

Back
Top Bottom