Any Kemper Experts Here?

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I dug my Kemper out of storage and put the latest OS on it. People say it does "wonderful cleans" so I downloaded some from the rig exchange but didn't find anything special.

So I figured I'd profile my Deluxe Reverb. I'm using a reactive load so I chose No Cabinet. Even after refining the profile is way off from the real amp. More distorted and less high end.

Also if I A/B by plugging straight into the amp vs choosing between the amp and profile on the unit the amp sounds different when plugging straight in. It's thinner when using the on-board A/B.

Drastic difference even with my (quiet good) non-monitor hi-fi speakers. I can also hear a slight difference in the low frequencies between the amp and the Axe-FX. The Kemper seems a bit quieter, though.

While you are at it, have you tried those infamous speaker imprints, Cliff? I would love to hear your opinion about it. How do they sound with monitors (which they are not supposed to be used with)? Maybe try shooting IRs of them to use them with other devices?

I've owned 7(8?) of them. Not sure if that qualifies me as an expert but, um; I could be considered to be a person with a problem :flushed: :sweat: :D

The profiles I've done were all high gain because that's my thing. To me; I don't hear "accuracy" in the clean stuff (especially with my own lack of desire/experience with clean amps IRL) so much as the "best" profiles having an almost "studio preamp/direct quality" with some speaker coloration on top with an excellent feel/touch sensitivity to boot. I know that's all subjective and up for debate on the end user's side of things.

ColdFrixion at TGP has the III and a Kemper and would be a good person to ask on this topic. Not sure if he uses the same handle here?

While you are at it, have you tried those infamous speaker imprints, Cliff? I would love to hear your opinion about it. How do they sound with monitors (which they are not supposed to be used with)? Maybe try shooting IRs of them to use them with other devices?
I haven't tried them. The thread was deleted before I had a chance to download them.

From memory it has a low pass filter on it and there's usually a low end hump. I find the more you refine the more it deviates. Probably just user error on my part though .....

I haven't tried them. The thread was deleted before I had a chance to download them.

The imprint functionality should be integrated in the Kemper firmware by now. So if you own a Kemper you should be able to use them. And then you should be able to shoot IRs of them yourself.
This means if I'm not mistaken. I don't own a Kemper, just read the manual.

I dug my Kemper out of storage and put the latest OS on it. People say it does "wonderful cleans" so I downloaded some from the rig exchange but didn't find anything special.

So I figured I'd profile my Deluxe Reverb. I'm using a reactive load so I chose No Cabinet. Even after refining the profile is way off from the real amp. More distorted and less high end.

Also if I A/B by plugging straight into the amp vs choosing between the amp and profile on the unit the amp sounds different when plugging straight in. It's thinner when using the on-board A/B.
Kemper manual says,
"Normally, the PROFILER will automatically detect a Direct Amp PROFILE, switch off the cabinet module and capture the entire PROFILE in the amplifier module. In exceptional cases, it can happen that the Direct Amp PROFILE isn’t recognized automatically. In that case manually select “No Cabinet” and repeat the process."

Since you had to choose the "No Cabinet" option, maybe you hit an exceptional case which it doesn't profile as well for some reason?

If I remember correctly from my days with 2 Kempers (I am a slow learner) on the Kemper forum I remember several people saying that profiles of clean amps were hit and miss. High gain it seemed to handle better for some reason. But I also remember several mentions about having do a good bit of equalizing to get a profile to sound right. I never attempted a profile myself but did purchase several from Michael Britt and Top Jimi. Those sounded good but to me they never quite hit the original tone for me as I purchased a couple EVH 5150 III profiles (of which I own the tube amp) that never measured up to my original. They always sounded "sterile" for lack of a better term, especially the clean channel.

Can we get the III preset? :)
I would like to test something.
I didn't save it. It's just the Deluxe Verb Vibrato with some random cab and touch of reverb. Drive at 5, Bass at 3, Treble at 6 IIRC. The only change to the Amp model is I lowered the Negative Feedback to 2.0 because that's where it should be (the default value is wrong, fixed for next release).

Back
Top Bottom