AFIII Bob Rock Recording Trick

TGM

Inspired
Hi guys,

In the following vid, Bob Rock mentions that in order to have a wall of sound, he records the dry guitar signal on one speaker, and on another speaker he would spill just the delay:
Then he does the reverse, and mixes 4 tracks.

It might be a newbie question, yet how can you simulate this on Axe Fx 3? I m not sure how you can record just the delay(without the dry signal) on an output.

It might be a newbie question, yet how can you simulate this on Axe Fx 3? I m not sure how you can record just the delay(without the dry signal) on an output.

Run the delay in parallel at 100% wet and use the Input Level control to set the delay level relative to the dry. You can then send that parallel delay signal to a separate output block for recording.

I don't think you want to use separate outputs. For this idea to work, the dry and delay signals need to be mono. So, just pan the 100% wet delay to the left and pan the dry to the right. Record that stereo track. Then record a second take with the left and right flipped.

Personally, I would do this in the DAW instead of in the AxeFX: record two takes of only the dry. Pan those L and R in the DAW, then apply a delay plugin to add a delay on the opposite side of each.

Part of the sound is the fact that they fed the delay into a separate power amp and cab that was mic'd. That gave the delayed sound it's own unique tone and it wasn't just a delayed duplicate of the other signal.

For that, you could put the delay block between the amp and cab blocks and hard pan the wet and dry to opposite sides, then use the cab block in stereo mode with different IRs on each side.

Thanks a lot guys for the great answers. I didn't know that we can hard pan the dry and wet signals. Will check it out.

Back
Top Bottom