[EDITED] AWESOME Van Halen on your FM3!!

ToneDriven

Inspired
I spent many months lusting over the amazing AX3 presets that showcased the amazing VanHalen tone (mostly Burgs Brownies!!) and..... after many hours and many forum members outstanding contributions they are starting to work on my FM3... See several presets below...

Last edited:
....an FM3-Edit that will take those EVH AX3 tones and properly transpose them to the FM3... and the crowd goes WILD!!!!!!

Hi tone driven,
You may find that the specific presets you are trying to import have incompatible features with the fm3? Maybe the presets have more blocks that the fm3 supports, or they have blocks that are not available in the fm3.
If you like, send me the presets you are trying to import, and I’ll have a look see and (if I find anything dodgy) I’ll do my best to fix it up and get them back to you.
Thanks
Pauly

All the good AX3 VH presets will not work on your FM3......... Buyer beware!
I spent months lusting over the amazing AX3 presets that showcased the amazing VH tone (mostly Burgs Brownies!!), but alas they WILL NOT WORK on your FM3
With baited breath I tried the latest Panama preset that just came out, but NO amp comes over via FM3-Edit....!@#$%

Save yourself the drama and wait for a proper floor unit from Fractal or buy an AX3+FC6........

Hi tone driven,
You may find that the specific presets you are trying to import have incompatible features with the fm3? Maybe the presets have more blocks that the fm3 supports, or they have blocks that are not available in the fm3.
If you like, send me the presets you are trying to import, and I’ll have a look see and (if I find anything dodgy) I’ll do my best to fix it up and get them back to you.
Thanks
Pauly
Pauly, you THE MAN, check out "Burgs Brownies" on Axe-Change - best damn VH tone I've ever heard... I'd love to see an FM3 version that doesn't crash my FM3...

All the good AX3 VH presets will not work on your FM3......... Buyer beware!
I spent months lusting over the amazing AX3 presets that showcased the amazing VH tone (mostly Burgs Brownies!!), but alas they WILL NOT WORK on your FM3
With baited breath I tried the latest Panama preset that just came out, but NO amp comes over via FM3-Edit....!@#$%

Save yourself the drama and wait for a proper floor unit from Fractal or buy an AX3+FC6........

Harsh. Allow me to explain what your post really says:

I've found some Axe-Fx III presets that don't load correctly into the FM3.

This is not surprising. The Amp block in the Axe III has gone through some significant changes. It'll take some time for the FM3 to catch up. Meanwhile, as you say...

Save yourself the drama...

Last edited:
Harsh. Allow me to explain what your post really says:

This is not surprising. The Amp block in the Axe III has gone through some significant changes. It'll take some time for the FM3 to catch up. Meanwhile, as you say...
Thanks Rex... Its an "FM3" and the "Burgs Brownies" preset has been around for almost 12 months now......................................

Thanks Rex... Its an "FM3" and the "Burgs Brownies" preset has been around for almost 12 months now......................................
You can always copy the Amp block by hand. Takes some time, but it works.

Yeah, that preset is a kitchen sink preset with several amps across two amp blocks, several delays, several reverbs, a bunch of stomps. It's almost every EVH tone. It also has some modifiers applied that the FM3 doesn't like. As you say, it is so much it crashes the FM3. Most of that stuff isn't used in the majority of scenes too - I'm sure if Burgs gets some time he'll simplify it down to load in FM3.

I went through it 1 block at a time and added the block to my blocks library, then rebuilt the preset without a lot of the extra stuff and minus some modifiers. It loads fine. I've yet to properly go through it to make sure I have the right cabs with the right amp. Honestly though, I've been happier starting from scratch with an amp and cab myself.

Someone with an Axe3 could probably load the preset, delete some fluff and save the simplified preset down to something easier to import into FM3 without losing the correct amp and cab channels per scene.

From the FM3 Owner's Manual:

"FM3-Edit allows FM3 to load Axe-Fx III presets, within the limits of local block and CPU resources."

and:

"Certain blocks found on the Axe-Fx III do not appear on the FM3."

Q: Can I load my presets from the Axe-Fx III into the FM3 (or vice versa)?
A: Yes! Axe-Edit and FM3 Edit have both been updated for cross compatibility. The FM3 will do its best to interpret larger Axe-Fx III presets but you should always check the results.
  • The top 4 rows and first 12 columns of an Axe-Fx III preset are imported first. This aligns the top-left of the FM3 grid with the Axe-Fx III grid. Any incompatible block will be replaced by a shunt.
  • Blocks in rows 5 and 6 as well as columns 13 and 14 of the Axe-Fx III preset are added to the first available spaces of the FM3 preset. Incompatible blocks will not be imported.
  • When converting an Axe-Fx III preset to an FM3 preset it is possible to have more blocks than the CPU can handle. If this happens, the FM3 device will display a blinking red banner in the top-left of the HOME screen that reads “CPU Limit - Muted”. The FM3 will stop processing audio but allow you to delete and/or reconfigure the blocks as needed.
  • In regards to the CAB block, an Axe-Fx III preset that has bank USER 2 selected will be changed to USER 1 as the FM3 does not have a User 2 bank. Also note, that only “Cab 1” and “Cab 2” selections from the Axe- Fx III preset will be imported as the FM3 only has two selectable cabinets.

Burgs brownies preset contains two amp blocks with a total of 8 scenes

i've deleted most of the blocks, except the amp, cab and a couple of effects and split it into two presets. the cab block is the same in all scenes. all that you need to change is the channel in the amp block to audition all 8 scenes across both presets. just save the amp blocks into your block library and you can then recall them into any preset you like

Attachments

• Burg's Brownies FM3 1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Burg's Brownies FM3 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 86
Hi again,

it seems that @simeon and @bradlake have done it already! (Onya guys)

@ToneDriven let me (us) know how it goes. I may have some time tomorrow evening but I’m pretty confident you’ll be up and running now.

thanks
Pauly

Pauly, you THE MAN, check out "Burgs Brownies" on Axe-Change - best damn VH tone I've ever heard... I'd love to see an FM3 version that doesn't crash my FM3...

Back
Top Bottom