Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.10

The filter in the last sample I posted was a high cut filter; it filters out the high end. If excessive high frequency content were the culprit, the effect you're referring to should've been much more prominent in that sample, in my opinion, because I basically removed all of the high end, but the effect still sounded less prominent than what I'm hearing in your sample.
Oh, I see, I misunderstood it, sorry... I mean judging from your recording, I suspected that it's the amount of low frequency content that is the culprit, as in both of your recordings the low end seems lacking to my ear...

(I am currently away, I will need to verify this later today)

Oh, I see, I misunderstood it, sorry... I mean judging from your recording, I suspected that it's the amount of low frequency content that is the culprit, as in both of your recordings the low end seems lacking to my ear... (I am currently away, I will need to verify this later today)

By removing the high frequency content, you inherently boost the low end(assuming you raise the overall level). Compare the frequency curve of my sample to yours and you'll see that mine actually has more low frequency content:

Frequency Curve Comparison.jpg

I noticed when I switched from 12.08 to 12.09 my preset's tone changed, particularly in the 660hz+/- range. I have my input EQ bumped around this range and really loved the tone and feel. When I upgraded to 12.09 & 12.10 I had to adjust the EQ bump to around 772hz because the tone was muddy. Adjusting the eq 'bump' cleaned it up and does get good articulation, but there was some mojo happening with my settings on v. 12.08.

I caught this post and swapped from EL34 to 6CA7 and tried the eq input back at 660ish and it's cleaner, possibly behaving closer to what I was experiencing in 12.08. I only had about 10 minutes to play but was wondering if maybe I'm on to something. Of course my ears guide but man, the feel I had going on was so inspiring. I really hope I've found the grail again. I'll know once I get some time to test it. Just wondering if there is a known tonal difference between the two.

Yep..replying to my own post: Self isolating makes you crazy. So, yeah. There is a difference. The 6CA7 cleans up a bit more than the EL34 and the mid frequency does have a different response. But the tweak I did to the preset for the 12.10 version ends up sounding better anyway so I can move on with my life.....lol.

By removing the high frequency content, you inherently boost the low end(assuming you raise the overall level). Compare the frequency curve of my sample to yours and you'll see that mine actually has more low frequency content:

View attachment 69343
Don't forget the input signal, your LP bridge pickup is going to have a different output than his Tele neck pickup.

Don't forget the input signal, your LP bridge pickup is going to have a different output than his Tele neck pickup.

If you're referring to the pickup output level, raising or lowering the bridge pickup output has little effect on the outcome in my case.

If you're referring to the pickup output level, raising or lowering the bridge pickup output has little effect on the outcome in my case.
No, a humbucker bridge pickup sounds different than a Tele neck pickup. It drives the amp differently.
I noticed you brought up the difference yourself in the other thread, so I dunno why you're being obtuse about it.

No, a humbucker bridge pickup sounds different than a Tele neck pickup. It drives the amp differently.
I noticed you brought up the difference yourself in the other thread, so I dunno why you're being obtuse about it.

I wasn't being obtuse about it. Had you specified what you were referring to originally, I wouldn't have inferred what you were talking about. Output is rather non-specific. Incidentally, my LP Trad Pro II has true coil-splitting and the effect is actually less noticeable with that.

Last edited:
I tested this with 12.09 and I hear the same heavy crossover distortion... Weirdly, it only happens when playing low E open string and high E string at 3rd fret together... Playing high E string by itself or with any other (string, fret) sounds fine...

I have no idea why I didn't notice this before, here is a short recording of it, please tell me you guys hear what I am hearing. The following recording uses the scene 2 of the preset above with Plexi 50 Jump:

I haven't read all the previous posts and I'm not near my Axe-Fx III to verify the default settings but have you tried setting the Supply Type to DC instead of AC? When set to DC, it won't cause ghost notes. I always set Supply Type to DC for rhythm tones bc I hate the sound of ghost notes cluttering my tone. I sometimes use AC for lead/solo tones to add some character to the tone but will usually use the Octave Dist Drive block when I want more character/artifacts.

The Blocks Guide says:
Supply Type, AC Line Frequency – These select between AC and DC virtual power supply types. AC
rectification and resulting supply ripple are modeled, and the line frequency is also selectable. Note that as with
a real tube amp, the AC Supply can cause “ghost notes” when Supply Sag is low and B+ Time Constant is high.
Lower B+ Time Constant values will make the amp feel “faster,” but too low can also cause ghost notes.

I haven't read all the previous posts and I'm not near my Axe-Fx III to verify the default settings but have you tried setting the Supply Type to DC instead of AC? When set to DC, it won't cause ghost notes. I always set Supply Type to DC for rhythm tones bc I hate the sound of ghost notes cluttering my tone. I sometimes use AC for lead/solo tones to add some character to the tone but will usually use the Octave Dist Drive block when I want more character/artifacts.

The Blocks Guide says:
Supply Type, AC Line Frequency – These select between AC and DC virtual power supply types. AC
rectification and resulting supply ripple are modeled, and the line frequency is also selectable. Note that as with
a real tube amp, the AC Supply can cause “ghost notes” when Supply Sag is low and B+ Time Constant is high.
Lower B+ Time Constant values will make the amp feel “faster,” but too low can also cause ghost notes.
Thanks for the suggestion, I believe I tried all of those, Which barely made any difference, unfortunately...

Cliff,

I'm still experiencing that 10-tap delay issue. I set a single (11th) tap at 3410ms, it reverts to 1667ms. You had looked at it several weeks ago.

TIA.

Just updated firmware and Axe-Edit and all switch settings in FC-6 have disappeared. Top screen on FC-6 displays preset and scene normally but all switch information is blank on the FC-6 and Axe-Edit. Tried to update firmware on FC-6 and it is not responding to Fractal-Bot. Anybody else with this problem? Suggestions? Thanks

Some details about differences between regular distortion and poly distortion at 3:07 of this vid

WISH: allow 6 instances of AMP, DIST and IR loader at the axe-FX :)

I was wondering what this would sound like, thanks! Chords sound totally yuck to me haha

Reactions: JTI
Back
Top Bottom