Axe-Fx into UA Apollo Twin=Mind Blown

It's a fairly simple test to verify. Record playing through the Axe FX using both SPDIF and USB at the same time to separate tracks. Time align them and flip the phase on one of the tracks. Playback will then only contain any differences between the two tracks. If you hear silence, the two recordings are identical.

Guys I'm not making any claims. I just said it sounds good.
Perception is not reality, but perception can become a person's reality. That is the reason why we use logic, mathematics, science and measuring instruments, to minimize the errors produced by our limited and deceptive perception.
Jeez. Dude. OK it's my reality. It's only rock and roll after all. What measuring instrument would you use to work out how far your head is up your arse 🤣

Yes, it's only rock and roll, but everything has consequences. There are persons that rely on the comments and opinions of others at the forums. If you say that the recordings with SPDIF have better quality than USB and nobody refutes that, it could lead to someone spending his money to buy a SPDIF interface with the expectation of improving quality. :disappointed:

Last edited:
I use spdif into my Apollo. I've tried all ways, but this to my ears sounds the best. I record left and right onto two mono tracks panned hard.

With all due respect, it’s a simple matter to prove to yourself that’s incorrect.

P.S. Recording to a pair of mono tracks seems unnecessarily convoluted. Out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve with that?

Yes, it's only rock and roll, but everything has consequences. There are persons that rely on the comments and opinions of others at the forums. If you say that the recordings with SPDIF have better quality than USB and nobody refutes that, it could lead to someone spending his money to buy a SPDIF interface with the expectation of improving quality. :disappointed:
I've tried analogue, USB and spdif. For whatever reason I was happiest with the latter. The creation of an aggregated device to facilitate USB I found problematic. I connected via spdif using a cheap coaxial to optical converter. It sounded cool. I've stuck with it. It likely has no basis in digital fact. I never claimed otherwise. There are many many reviews and reasons to buy an Apollo. If as you suggest someone buys one on my few lines in this small corner of the Internet without doing their own due diligence and is disappointed then more fool them.

With all due respect, it’s a simple matter to prove to yourself that’s incorrect.

P.S. Recording to a pair of mono tracks seems unnecessarily convoluted. Out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve with that?
Why? I'm happy.

Convoluted in what way?
From memory a stereo track didn't allow me to receive both left and right from the Apollo. I didn't interrogate this but created two mono tracks for each side. It allows me to easily alter the eq on one side only if I fancy. I have a very simple workflow that allows me to produce reasonable sounding demos to distribute to colleagues. Is it by the book... Unlikely, but does it matter... Even more unlikely.

Is it an audio interface that uses plugins? I didn't know things like that exist, seems really interesting!

The UAD Apollo series of interfaces uses their "Console" software which is amazing with its unison slots and such.Google it.No other interface on the planet compares in my book.I could never live without my Apollo Twin USB.

Back
Top Bottom