12.08, not clean anymore....

Hi guys,

I'm back, I haven't gone back to 12.08b4 yet but I just turned on my Axe on this evening and the same thing has happened again. Slight break up on my clean scenes in my preset. I've check my comp level that seems fine and also my out 1 level to my studio monitors also fine. The axe is connected to my UAD Arrow. I also have output 2 plugged into my matrix GT1000 going to an FR12P cab and I get the same thing. Out 2 is copying out 1. Ignore out 3 that's used for my external tuner when I gig.

Here's my preset this time could you guys check it out for me and see if you can recreate it? Scenes 1 Clean and Scene 3 chorus clean.

Also tried a new preset with the basic amp and cab blocks and I get the same thing.

Cheers

Paul
Sounds fine here. The gain and master are somewhat high. I wouldn't expect it to be completely clean.

Sounds fine here. The gain and master are somewhat high. I wouldn't expect it to be completely clean.

Thanks Cliff, I don't get it I've had the gain and master set that way since you added the JPIIC model to the firmware and it's always been really clean no break up at all. I can lower the input gain but I'm just wondering why it's started to do that if my levels have always been the same.

I found the problem, the saturation switch on the JP clean was set to "on" and was being controlled by FC Pedal 3. So when it was toe down it would engage to "on ideal" and then toe up it would turn itself off. I knew I wasn't going mad. Funny thing is I don't remember setting that at all very strange. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Yep, 95% of time if nothing changed but something changed it's user "error". Good job tracking it down.

Hi guys,

I'm back, I haven't gone back to 12.08b4 yet but I just turned on my Axe on this evening and the same thing has happened again. Slight break up on my clean scenes in my preset. I've check my comp level that seems fine and also my out 1 level to my studio monitors also fine. The axe is connected to my UAD Arrow. I also have output 2 plugged into my matrix GT1000 going to an FR12P cab and I get the same thing. Out 2 is copying out 1. Ignore out 3 that's used for my external tuner when I gig.

Here's my preset this time could you guys check it out for me and see if you can recreate it? Scenes 1 Clean and Scene 3 chorus clean.

Also tried a new preset with the basic amp and cab blocks and I get the same thing.

Cheers

Paul
I’m unable to import your setting into my Axe III it loads and then just shows empty with no blocks? I wanted to see what your clean settings are to compair.

Yep, 95% of time if nothing changed but something changed it's user "error". Good job tracking it down.

Yeah always best to check with you guys and Cliff just in case. I would usually troubleshoot myself without a post on the forum but because I tried the new beta I thought that might be the issue. All good now though and the Virtual Capo sounds awesome in 12.08. Playing around with it last night. All I can say is Thin Lizzy Aive and Dangerous album virtual capo set half a step down and the Plexi 1987x model awesome!

I can re upload if you like Andy? but I'm away from my Axe at the moment. It would only do that if it's not the latest firmware I believe.
Thanks, I’ll reinstall the latest firmware and try again... I’m just interested to see what your level settings are...👍

Thanks, I’ll reinstall the latest firmware and try again... I’m just interested to see what your level settings are...👍
I've done a clean sweep, reset the FX3, reloaded 12.08 and 1.11 on FC, installed V11 factory presets, and the latest Axe Edit but still get overdrive on the factory presets like Deluxe Verb, Bandmaster and Buttery. The only "global" workaround I've found is to lower Input AD level to almost 0dB.

This is on a PRS Santana (factory setup, no powered pickups or preamps). I get same on my Strat (American Plus) with factory single coils PUs.

That setting is for optimizing the converters and doesn't affect tone except at values below 5%.

It is not intended for what you're trying to do.
I understand and appreciate the feedback but have yet to find any other way around except to go into the Input 1 block and lower the output level but then I'd need to do that for all factory presets. I don't know if its just an issue with my unit but it seems like others are experiencing the same and would love to understand it more.

I wonder if there is some setting that is persistant even with firmware upgrades? I've reloaded all the preset banks and cabinets.

I've done a clean sweep, reset the FX3, reloaded 12.08 and 1.11 on FC, installed V11 factory presets, and the latest Axe Edit but still get overdrive on the factory presets like Deluxe Verb, Bandmaster and Buttery. The only "global" workaround I've found is to lower Input AD level to almost 0dB.

This is on a PRS Santana (factory setup, no powered pickups or preamps). I get same on my Strat (American Plus) with factory single coils PUs.
Why do you assume you shouldn't get any overdrive. Those amps aren't squeaky clean. That's part of the magic.

That setting is for optimizing the converters and doesn't affect tone except at values below 5%.

It is not intended for what you're trying to do.

I understand and appreciate the feedback but have yet to find any other way around except to go into the Input 1 block and lower the output level but then I'd need to do that for all factory presets. I don't know if its just an issue with my unit but it seems like others are experiencing the same and would love to understand it more.

I wonder if there is some setting that is persistant even with firmware upgrades? I've reloaded all the preset banks and cabinets.

Im below 5% on a PRS and Strat above that and I'm in the red... I have to back of the Amp input now to around 1/4-to, (I used to have it around 12:00 on the Shiver Clean and the CA-30 Clean) and increase the Amp Output into + to make up for the lack of volume.. Im going to reload the firmware and see if its still the same... it's not a big deal as I just need to back of the Amp inputs and increace the outs on all my presets...but, it would have been a big deal if I was gigging as all my clean sounds have gone...

Why do you assume you shouldn't get any overdrive. Those amps aren't squeaky clean. That's part of the magic.

I do agree particularly for me with the CA-3 as its (to me anyway) the most authentic valve sounding amp, the 'hair' on the clean CA is great. The Shiver clean is an amp block I used because it really was squeaky clean for me....and is again but I had to readjust it.

Last edited:

Just put your setting into my Axe and it was well distorted but your Amp input was well over half.... I backed it right off almost 50% and at that point it was nice and clean 😎

still get overdrive on the factory presets like Deluxe Verb, Bandmaster and Buttery.

generally, when an amp is distorting, reducing the Input Drive is the solution to clean it up.

the amps mentioned are definitely distorting for me with a humbucker guitar on the factory presets. they aren't intended to be pristine clean. as with any preset, you'll have to adjust them to work with your guitar and gear. if they are distorting, reduce the Drive.

I've been using the JC 120 clean since day one and it's always been super clean, even with humbuckers. :wink:

I found the problem, the saturation switch on the JP clean was set to "on" and was being controlled by FC Pedal 3.

I thought JP used a Fender for his cleans...🤔

Back
Top Bottom