Wish Mid/Side Processing FX

I think with all the amazing effects FAS has, it would take it a step further to be able to do Mid/Side processing. Here are some ideas I can think of...

MID/SIDE BLOCK
This block would allow for individual Left-Mid-Right editing of:
LEVEL for independent level or maybe even drive (in case you want to remove middle in parallel)
EQ for independent EQ of all three
DELAY Short millisecond delay (i.e. 0ms-100ms)
MODULATION Individual LFO type, cents, delay time, panning & level (Kind of like the Quad Detune plus LFO type, if that were a thing).

MID/SIDE DELAY
This could be a delay type that could be similar to the Dual Delay, but also with the middle, for the option to remove it from the stereo image.

MID/SIDE COMPRESSION
This could be a cool thing, like heavy limiter on L-R and none in the middle.

MID/SIDE DRIVE
Could be a drive or a boost..... maybe you can get a mid-focused on the L and a RAT Style on the right and get an interesting sound. Could be kind of like the "BOOST TYPE" in the amp block but for each of the three Mid Side spectrums.

MID/SIDE MODULATION
Maybe an example could be to do Rotary on L, Tremolo on the R, and dry in the M. I'm aware this can be done making a bunch of parallel chains but maybe there could be a quicker way with a dedicated Mid/Side Mod.

MS processing is an interesting idea, but building it into blocks like that probably is not the way to do it. There will always be one more effect that someone wants.

A better way to do it would be to have an encoder block and a decoder block. That way you could put whatever effects you want in the chain.

Wouldn't you need a monitor like the Centerpoint Space Station to properly reproduce it though ?
M-S processing is still two channels but one channel is L+R and the other is L-R (basically).

If you add them together you get L+R + L-R = 2L. If you subtract you get L+R - (L-R) = 2R.

Stereo phonograph records are encoded using M-S. L+R is encoded horizontally and L-R vertically. That allows compatibility with mono record players which only process horizontal.

MS processing is an interesting idea, but building it into blocks like that probably is not the way to do it. There will always be one more effect that someone wants.

A better way to do it would be to have an encoder block and a decoder block. That way you could put whatever effects you want in the chain.
Yes, that's a better method.

I bought an older version of the Space Station a few years back, and did a little cosmetic makeover. it somehow encodes a stereo input to the front or side speakers so I guess there is a way to process a signal workout needing to use mid/side mic setup. Don’t know all the theory but it sounds simply amazing when you run a stereo rotary block to it.....

CBC86C06-833A-4723-B31D-6564877BE9A7.jpeg

I bought an older version of the Space Station a few years back, and did a little cosmetic makeover. it somehow encodes a stereo input to the front or side speakers so I guess there is a way to process a signal workout needing to use mid/side mic setup. Don’t know all the theory but it sounds simply amazing when you run a stereo rotary block to it.....

View attachment 68332
I have the big one. :)

Back in the '90s I started working on building an adapter to go from L/R to M/S after seeing the Fender add-on one, but ran out of time and $ to throw at it, as I was dirt poor at the time. I was going to build a 3x12" cab loaded with some speakers I had hanging around, and power it with a stereo power amp from my gig rack, but never got to finish it....

View attachment 68332

I have a Space Station and it sends L+R to the front speaker and L-R to the side. I have not used it in a while but I never found it suited my usage very well but I know lots of people really like it. Maybe I'll pull it out again.

I have a Space Station and it sends L+R to the front speaker and L-R to the side. I have not used it in a while but I never found it suited my usage very well but I know lots of people really like it. Maybe I'll pull it out again.

Give it a stereo signal with a ton of spread and it sounds really amazing, especially with stuff like a rotary. Send it a signal without much separation, or something like a ping-pong delay and it feels like a massive waste of money.

I thought I could use it as a typical monitor when I got it and didn’t like it in the least. The mid/side thing just didn’t work for most guitar stuff, and it didn’t sound anywhere near a CLR, totally lacked bass etc

But, if you treat it like a Vibratone cab, which is usually ran in series with another speaker, and give it the typical midrange freq content you’d get from the filtering network, and it sounds really authentic.

Basically think if it as a way to do a cool stereo wet/mono dry type rig with just the Space Station and another monitor.

Give it a stereo signal with a ton of spread and it sounds really amazing, especially with stuff like a rotary. Send it a signal without much separation, or something like a ping-pong delay and it feels like a massive waste of money.

I thought I could use it as a typical monitor when I got it and didn’t like it in the least. The mid/side thing just didn’t work for most guitar stuff, and it didn’t sound anywhere near a CLR, totally lacked bass etc

But, if you treat it like a Vibratone cab, which is usually ran in series with another speaker, and give it the typical midrange freq content you’d get from the filtering network, and it sounds really authentic.

Basically think if it as a way to do a cool stereo wet/mono dry type rig with just the Space Station and another monitor.
The big one has bass down to 55Hz, if memory serves, and a ton of power....

My issue is that it did not deliver the goods on its own. It is advertised as being a PA quality speaker and I don't feel it ever achieved that kind of quality. I never tried it with another monitor because that's not really how I'd want to run it.

Like I said, I'm going to give it another try.

All my M/S experience comes from plugins and mixing. It can be heard on a pair of headphones. My approach to all of this is from a studio perspective. It's an interesting sound that really fills up

All my M/S experience comes from plugins and mixing. It can be heard on a pair of headphones. My approach to all of this is from a studio perspective. It's an interesting sound that really fills up

The discussion about the Space Station speaker system is a different topic than your wish. That happens sometimes :).

It also sounds wonderful with a stereo cab block with two different IRs panned out a bit. Easily the closest I've come to making FR an enjoyable playing experience.

It also sounds wonderful with a stereo cab block with two different IRs panned out a bit. Easily the closest I've come to making FR an enjoyable playing experience.

Good call. I’ve experimented a bit using some of those rear mic’d IR’s in conjunction with my CLR and it did provide pretty room filling results. Probably need to mess around with that a little more, but I enjoy having a dedicated rotary output, with an exp pedal controlling the level, so much I’ve kind of stopped seeing what else it can achieve

Sadly saw Aspen Pittman, the designer, and groove tubes founder, passes away recently too. Such a cool and novel product that sadly never quite caught on as much as I think it should have.

I suppose they mainly marketed towards keyboard players in the early days, and Fender didn’t do much with licensing either in their acoustic line.

In today’s market with modelers being so common their will hopefully be a lot of new users discover the technology. In the mean time, I encourage everyone to keep an eye out for a used one. Fanatic bang for the buck if you can get one for a few hundred bucks

Good call. I’ve experimented a bit using some of those rear mic’d IR’s in conjunction with my CLR and it did provide pretty room filling results. Probably need to mess around with that a little more, but I enjoy having a dedicated rotary output, with an exp pedal controlling the level, so much I’ve kind of stopped seeing what else it can achieve

Sadly saw Aspen Pittman, the designer, and groove tubes founder, passes away recently too. Such a cool and novel product that sadly never quite caught on as much as I think it should have.

I suppose they mainly marketed towards keyboard players in the early days, and Fender didn’t do much with licensing either in their acoustic line.

In today’s market with modelers being so common their will hopefully be a lot of new users discover the technology. In the mean time, I encourage everyone to keep an eye out for a used one. Fanatic bang for the buck if you can get one for a few hundred bucks
I drove almost 110 miles to test drive mine up in Flagstaff, after his daughter responded to my inquiry on their site's questions form. Thecway choruses, flanges, phasers, and rotary speakers sound with it is amazing.

Dry sound is a bit more 'in the room' sounding, probably due to the front speaker still being a bit low to the ground and forward facing.

Back
Top Bottom