Ip Man

The first one is the best of the series for sure.

The best thing about the movie is the way the main character is written. He is an invincible force who is absolutely unwavering in his virtues. He is an essentially "perfect" character. He never strays even once from being the absolute pinnacle of helpfulness, empathy, generosity, patience, devotion, gentlemanliness, fearlessness, or even humility, even as he shows full competence in everything he tries. And despite all this, he's never unlikable. You root for him the whole time. He is basically the platonic ideal of a leader in every sense of the word. From a storytelling perspective alone that's one hell of an accomplishment.

Last edited:
I really liked the first Ip Man but never bothered with the sequels. Jackie Chan's original Drunken Master is still my favorite Kung Fu movie though.

Back when the first movie came out I was introduced to it by my Wing Chun teacher at the time (I only studied for a very short time). He actually grew up in Hong Kong in the 60s and was taught by Ip Ching and Ip Chun (Ip Man's sons). A few months later I moved across the country and while looking for another Wing Chun teacher I found a guy who also trained under Ip Ching and Ip Chun in HK. Surprisingly both my old teacher and this other teacher knew each other quite well but didn't have the best things to say about each other. I never trained with the new guy as his attitude and lack of respect for others was quite the turn-off. That was the end of my martial arts experience sadly.

Very entertaining movies though, even if they're not very accurate.

Watched it last night. Very enjoyable, but made me hungry for some good Cantonese, harder than it used to be to come by in my hood.......

Its pretty bad,I have watched every action movie on Netflix's ,I'm at the ones with sub titles now, any thing with Scott Akins is good too

Back
Top Bottom