Is the Axe-Fx 2 still good? My attempt to dial killer tones.

"Even before all of this" absolute classic !

The first thing to say is, you would sound great even with the most shite amp in the world.

The second thing is, there are so many factors that influence a guitar tone that the difference between an Axe FXII and Axe FXIII is negligible.

"Even before all of this" absolute classic !

The first thing to say is, you would sound great even with the most shite amp in the world.

The second thing is, there are so many factors that influence a guitar tone that the difference between an Axe FXII and Axe FXIII is negligible.
Haha thanks bro!!!!!!! I gotta say, the Axe FX 2 is an amazing piece of gear. Undeniably though, I do feel some kind of a 3D'ness to the III. Nothing you could hear in a mix. More of a subtle feel thing

Also, not sure if this is a thing or just my mind messing with me, but at times (plugged directly into the headphone jack), I could feel more latency on the II. I'm almost positive it wasn't just my imagination.

Also, not sure if this is a thing or just my mind messing with me, but at times (plugged directly into the headphone jack), I could feel more latency on the II. I'm almost positive it wasn't just my imagination.
I just revisited the 2 and I felt the same thing. The 2 sounds amazing still for sure, but the 3 definitely has the feel and other slight improvements that go a long way.

I suspect that "More of a subtle feel thing" is in your pocket, you are trying to justify the extra cost of the Axe FXIII

The average listener will never know the difference but you will, so the important thing is what works best for you.

I get great pleasure listening to Robert Johnson and Leadbelly etc. so the difference between Axe FXII and III is not a factor for me.

If I can get a near enough Frank Gambale tone that's fine for me.

Last edited:
I suspect that "More of a subtle feel thing" is in your pocket, you are trying to justify the extra cost of the Axe FXIII

The average listener will never know the difference but you will, so the important thing is what works best for you.

I get great pleasure listening to Robert Johnson and Leadbelly etc. so the difference between Axe FXII and III is not a factor for me.

If I can get a near enough Frank Gambale tone that's fine for me.
The way I would describe it is, the dynamic range when you play very lightly VS when you play hard is different in both. In the Axe FX 2 I feel like it cleans up and it breaks up depending on the touch, but the "color" stays pretty much the same. In the Axe FX 3, I feel like there's a difference in that particular scenario. As I sit here playing the 3, I play softly and the sound itself changes. Could be the preset, or the IR. Who knows!!!

I’ve been playing these for over 10 years. It has nothing to do with my pocket. Please don’t twist our words to mean anything other that what we’re saying.

I’ve been playing these for over 10 years. It has nothing to do with my pocket. Please don’t twist our words to mean anything other that what we’re saying.
Here we go, I never said anything that might "twist" anyones words, you have just ended my participation.

I understand what you are saying, personally I'm not at that stage where subtle differences matter, if it's approximate that will do for me.
Understandable and I’ve been through that often. When I first played electric guitar I didn’t hear a difference between the neck and bridge pickup. One day I woke up and heard it and was like OHHHHHH. Some can’t hear any difference between a boogie and a Marshall. I know some casual music listeners who - and this is hard to believe - can’t hear the difference between a distorted tone and a clean tone. We learn as we go and only learn when our minds are open. It’s not a negative thing or a criticism at all either. As we get more experience we learn more and start to hear differences we couldn’t before. It’s all positive!

the 3 definitely has the feel and other slight improvements that go a long way.
you are trying to justify the extra cost of the Axe FXIII
Here we go, I never said anything that might "twist" anyones words, you have just ended my participation.
To me, that is twisting me words. I said the improvements make a difference, and you said I’m just justifying the cost, suggesting that there is no real difference.

I’m allowed to express my opinions too for discussion sake.

I understand what you are saying, personally I'm not at that stage where subtle differences matter, if it's approximate that will do for me.
Yeah I totally get ya. Honestly, that alone wouldn't make it or break it for me. Like I said, it's not something you would hear in the mix. What really does it for me, is the ins & outs. I use all my stereo outputs!!! Crazy!!! With the Axe 2, I would be very limited with just two stereo outputs. That ultimately makes the biggest difference for me, oddly enough.

Back
Top Bottom