TC MIMIQ?

I definitely get the best results for me at "1" (tightness around 10:00). With 2 and 3, the delay times start to get crowded and I get phasing and noticeable Haas effects. At 1 though, I find the signals are far enough apart that I don't get that and it sounds wide and balanced.
Ok, I opened up my board and switched to 1 dub- I had it set on 2 previously- and it was immediately obvious that was the problem. The sound lost the left ear hype, and balanced right out, wide as can be. Thanks again for the tip! I have the pedal buried in the second level of my board, so I hadn't messed with it. Appreciate the help! Sounds freaking amazing.

It’s possible to do a passable double tracking effect for the AxeFX (Bakerman did a good one for the AxeFX II) but I haven’t seen a faithful emulation of the Mimiq.

I tried his preset from the AX2 using fractool to AX3 and it sounded "choppy" (prob due to various issues, conversion, firmware,coding etc..) upon skimming through this thread it seems @
ccroyalsenders has possible tc mimiq mimic for the AX3?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but maybe someone can correct me here with Mimiq or Haas type delays- one side ends of being perceived as louder because the signal is hitting one ear before the other (because of the tiny delay inherent to the effect), but in reality both signals are the same strength- is that correct?

And if it is, should someone using a Haas delay with a live setup who is getting this perceived but not actual imbalance try to reduce level on the "louder" side to balance it out?

I use a Mimiq on my Axe rig, and I love it, but it definitely comes off as louder on the left when playing on headphones. Not sure if I'm maybe not setting it up correctly, or if I should be applying some negative db to try and balance it out. Any advice is appreciated!

As far as I know, it's not exactly about the perceived loudness but the increase in spatial depth without the need of having two guitar tracks.
It slightly different to panning the guitar to a side, because there will be equal levels through both channels, but it creates the effect of the instrument beeing placed in a virtual room.

I have Mimiq and find it most effective in front of dual amps. I run the Mimiq mono into one of the two amp blocks (Mimiq set 100% wet / no dry). This "Mimiqs" a second guitar player into a separate amp.

I can "Mimiq" the mimiq somewhat closely by replacing the Mimiq in the above config with a 100% wet mono delay with time attached to an LFO slowly varying between 25 and 35 ms.

Thanks for finding that, I looked in one place on the site that said there were no firmware updates for it.
Anybody try it with the new firmware vs old? There’s no documentation about the what the firmware is meant to fix. Is the glitching less obvious now?

I don’t see any Mimiq firmware updates on that site, where are you see that there is one?

FWIW, I updated my Mimiq pedal today and put it into a loop in my two amp preset. I have 2 amps hard right and hard left, I tried the pedal in front of the amps and at the end of the chain.

The good news is the audible glitching is substantially less now than the previous firmware. However, I find the tonal qualities of the pedal to be possibly worse and still unacceptable. The pedal seems to create a fair amount of cancellation which diminishes the low end and also gives the stereo image a boxy midrange quality. This was with 1 dub setting, 10 o’clock tightness and equal dry and effect levels. I also tried looser settings which seemed less boxy sounding, but still lacking the low end of the original amp tones.

I give up. If anybody can get closer to a true double tracking time based effect it would probably be Cliff. So hopefully he can clone himself and come up with a double tracking block and a flying car for under 50k.

Here's one using a flanger to add a variable delay to each pitch voice. Maybe this sounds better than the last clip. Technically this adds some pitch modulation but it's slow enough to not really matter. The pitch voices go through flanger as L/R with nonzero LFO phase, so the timing can vary in different ways. A more random version could be to have separate LFOs from two delay/flange blocks (or use both LFOs in one delay block) at different rates, maybe running each LFO a bit faster when that signal is muted.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3sgjjesrwxw9a66/doubler-5-21-20.mp3

I can think of some better ways to control randomization, but the Axe-FX doesn't really have the tools for it. For example, switch the delay/detune/etc. values immediately when a picked note is detected, instead of using random LFO which takes 33 ms. Only jump between nearby values, or restrict the amount of each jump or probability of larger ones somehow. Swap channels only when time offset is at minimum, but also have it go into a state where this is guaranteed (first stepping down to min. time) if that hasn't occurred in some time.

I can think of some better ways to control randomization, but the Axe-FX doesn't really have the tools for it. For example, switch the delay/detune/etc. values immediately when a picked note is detected, instead of using random LFO which takes 33 ms.

That’s the bottom line. The Mimiq approach is the right one to achieve realistic doubling, but it’s difficult. However, it is possible to to achieve a pleasing stereo effect, like your latest effort here.

FWIW, I updated my Mimiq pedal today and put it into a loop in my two amp preset. I have 2 amps hard right and hard left, I tried the pedal in front of the amps and at the end of the chain.

The good news is the audible glitching is substantially less now than the previous firmware. However, I find the tonal qualities of the pedal to be possibly worse and still unacceptable. The pedal seems to create a fair amount of cancellation which diminishes the low end and also gives the stereo image a boxy midrange quality. This was with 1 dub setting, 10 o’clock tightness and equal dry and effect levels. I also tried looser settings which seemed less boxy sounding, but still lacking the low end of the original amp tones.

I give up. If anybody can get closer to a true double tracking time based effect it would probably be Cliff. So hopefully he can clone himself and come up with a double tracking block and a flying car for under 50k.

The way you are configuing it is not optimal from my experience (cancellation occurs as you mentioned). Connect Mimiq in mono going into one amp side only with 1 dub, effect level 90%, dry level = 0%, and tightness = 50%. This config ensures no cancellation or stereo glitchiness but still providing a nice doubling effect.

I'm quite interested in a Mimiq now having read this

By running it through the III and using stereo outs will the Mimiq Mini do everything the full sized unit does?

The way you are configuing it is not optimal from my experience (cancellation occurs as you mentioned). Connect Mimiq in mono going into one amp side only with 1 dub, effect level 90%, dry level = 0%, and tightness = 50%. This config ensures no cancellation or stereo glitchiness but still providing a nice doubling effect.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try.

Here's one using a flanger to add a variable delay to each pitch voice. Maybe this sounds better than the last clip. Technically this adds some pitch modulation but it's slow enough to not really matter. The pitch voices go through flanger as L/R with nonzero LFO phase, so the timing can vary in different ways. A more random version could be to have separate LFOs from two delay/flange blocks (or use both LFOs in one delay block) at different rates, maybe running each LFO a bit faster when that signal is muted.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3sgjjesrwxw9a66/doubler-5-21-20.mp3

I can think of some better ways to control randomization, but the Axe-FX doesn't really have the tools for it. For example, switch the delay/detune/etc. values immediately when a picked note is detected, instead of using random LFO which takes 33 ms. Only jump between nearby values, or restrict the amount of each jump or probability of larger ones somehow. Swap channels only when time offset is at minimum, but also have it go into a state where this is guaranteed (first stepping down to min. time) if that hasn't occurred in some time.

It sounds like you have all the bases covered with this description. I too had always wished there was some way to limit the random delay values to smaller jumps between times, it seemed to work that way in the H3000. I didn’t know about the 33 ms limit on the Axe random LFO. I wonder what the minimum random time LFO in the H3000s was? Also, the H3000 delay had a “splice” parameter, which was never really explained much in the manual, but which seemed to smooth some of the glitching of the modulation...

Forgot to ask, using it on one amp only, I’m assuming you mean mono in, mono out, right?

Back
Top Bottom