Distorted Riff with Clarity.

APE

Inspired
I am recording and I can't get great sounds of Axe-Fx. My setup is guitar --> Axe-Fx --> iMac --> Scarlett --> KRKs.

I monitor Axe-Fx through scarlett headphone jack.

It sounds a bit flubby. I'm going for a distorted rhythm sound where I can have enough clarity.
1589333945261.png

Attachments

• 1589333999237.png
    1589333999237.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Try a different amp type and increase the Low cut in the Cab block to reduce bass. This is a hard question with no specific answer because we can’t hear what you’re hearing, don’t know your amp settings and don’t know a lot of other things. The axe can do what you want but you’ll need to adjust things the same way you would with a real amp setup. High gain usually means less clarity by definition. Try reducing gain or recording one track with low gain for clarity then another with higher gain for that sound.

Try a different amp type and increase the Low cut in the Cab block to reduce bass. This is a hard question with no specific answer because we can’t hear what you’re hearing, don’t know your amp settings and don’t know a lot of other things. The axe can do what you want but you’ll need to adjust things the same way you would with a real amp setup. High gain usually means less clarity by definition. Try reducing gain or recording one track with low gain for clarity then another with higher gain for that sound.
If you click on the attachment, it shows input drive at 2.64.

After raising the low cut (Cab > Advanced > Low cut = 105.5), I turned the gain up to 4.64. Sounds better.

I never thought of that! I am reading about Axechange. But the axechange website linked from the wiki doesn't work https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/gen1/...oad_patches#Uploading_a_patch_with_the_editor

How do I export and upload a syx file?
in Edit, click the Preset menu near the top, then Export. drag that .syx file in the text box when you're typing a new post or reply.

Axechange should mostly be for "good" presets, or at least ones without issue. otherwise people will search for and download presets with issues.

Reactions: APE
Here is the preset that I exported using Axe-Edit.

Attachments

• Rhythm Distortion.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 10
I'm not where I can look at your preset, but to tighten things up, I usually cut bass before distortion, then add some back after if needed.

I've done a few tweaks. Rolled off some bass in the filter block, changed the U67 to an SM57, and kicked up the master volume and lowered the level in the amp block a bit. I also dialed back the proximity in both cabinets in the Cab block. Lowered the bass and depth in the amp block and boosted the mids and highs in the amp block. I hope this helps. Cheers, Perry aka Techboy57

Attachments

• Rhythm Distortion Mod(AxeFx II).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
I've done a few tweaks. Rolled off some bass in the filter block, changed the U67 to an SM57, and kicked up the master volume and lowered the level in the amp block a bit. I also dialed back the proximity in both cabinets in the Cab block. Lowered the bass and depth in the amp block and boosted the mids and highs in the amp block. I hope this helps. Cheers, Perry aka Techboy57
nice! didn't try the preset yet, but this is classic "adjusting for too much bass." when recording guitar, consider that it must sit in the mix with other instruments. too much low end in the electric guitar means no room for the bass guitar to do anything. the electric may sound good and full on its own, but if the goal is to play with other instruments, it needs to leave some room. yes, it may sound thin on its own, but that's what electric guitar sounds like when mixed with a band.

i'd used different cabs. plenty of stock cabs that are far superior to those RW and you won't have to use mic sims.

I'd also get rid of the proximity effect for now.

Back
Top Bottom