Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gift that keeps giving.
Wow, just wow.
I'm very pleased with this update because previously the 'Virtual Capo' mode was unusable due to latency.

Thanks Cliff et al.

Never downloaded a beta before. All my gigs in the foreseeable future are out the window. Fuck it. I’m going to beta land.
A lot of us are in the same boat. I never installed beta releases until our last gig in March (Friday the 13th, coincidentally).

I usually bring five guitars to gigs...four tuned to E and one tuned to E flat. It looks like I'll be able to leave the E flat guitar at home now.

I have a patch that uses two Synth blocks to create chords to play over. I use the VC to change chords on two scenes (3&4) and now there are some weird things happening on those two scenes. The Synth notes seem to fluctuate when you stay on them for a little bit with VC on. The chords without the VC still sound the same. This is new with the latest Beta and Pitch block updates. I've posted the patch to see if someone knows what's going on. Thanks!

Attachments

• Synth D Maj.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
Pitch changes sound and feel amazing now!

I just found a display bug, from the VC edit screen, sent MIDI messages to change scene, various block bypasses and preset/scene name requests and the screen is overwriting. Here's a pic:

IMG_1482.jpg

Used the Virtual Capo for the first time tonight. Nice! Seamless, quick pitch shifting, no muss, no fuss, no bother.

I found another trick for it besides shifting overall pitch: artificial 2nd harmonic enhancement. Dialed in an octave, rolled the mix level back to 17%, and found a wonderful "welcome to the jangle" rhythm tone with my #1 Strat, chorused into stereo via the Japan CE-2.

Lead track is my "Almost Clean" Mk IIC+ sound with the T808 input boost set at 12db. Bass is my OLP Stingray through an SVT2 and 8x10 SV Bass cab.

Whipped up a quick demo:

Great job, Cliff!

I have a patch that uses two Synth blocks to create chords to play over. I use the VC to change chords on two scenes (3&4) and now there are some weird things happening on those two scenes. The Synth notes seem to fluctuate when you stay on them for a little bit with VC on. The chords without the VC still sound the same. This is new with the latest Beta and Pitch block updates. I've posted the patch to see if someone knows what's going on. Thanks!
Definitely something strange in the Pitch block with that preset? I also get some strange things when playing some Minor chords, and when playing a chord inversions with a 3rd as the lowest note? Also most complex chords, but that has always been the case so far.

Last edited:
Definitely something strange in the Pitch block? I also get some strange things when playing some Minor chords, and when playing a chord inversions with a 3rd as the lowest note? Also most complex chords, but that has always been the case.
Ahh... I was just coming to post about that. Really odd beating/warbling when playing 1st inversion major chords... Didn't try minor.

There's a tune I wrote originally on my baritone... So I tried it with Virtual Capo set to -4. The 2 primary chords in the progression are F#/A and G#/B (relative to standard tuning). It did not sound pleasant :(

i haven't updated yet, so i can't view the preset, but my brain says check the input source of the pitch block. if you're running the synth into the pitch, then check it's set to block input and not input 1. if that's not it, then try the fixed shifter and see if it's any different.

Holy crap, Cliff! The updated pitch shifting/virtual capo is amazing and is completely making me rethink whether there's much point in buying any more guitars. It would be awesome if there were FC controls for virtual capo semitone increment/decrement/set, is that something that we might be able to get in a future update?

Holy crap, Cliff! The updated pitch shifting/virtual capo is amazing and is completely making me rethink whether there's much point in buying any more guitars. It would be awesome if there were FC controls for virtual capo semitone increment/decrement/set, is that something that we might be able to get in a future update?
+1 on this, that would be SUPER cool and fun, not to mention helpful 😀

Anyone getting occasional clicks and pops over SPDIF with this beta? Same kind of noises I would previously get when running DSP close to max, but I'm only in the 50-60% range. This seems to be happening with or without the new pitch stuff or AxeEdit open or closed. It has happened both last night a today, with everything but the iMac being restarted in-between. Maybe I will reboot the iMac next.

Anyone getting occasional clicks and pops over SPDIF with this beta? Same kind of noises I would previously get when running DSP close to max, but I'm only in the 50-60% range. This seems to be happening with or without the new pitch stuff or AxeEdit open or closed. It has happened both last night a today, with everything but the iMac being restarted in-between. Maybe I will reboot the iMac next.
SPDIF is not controlled by the DSP so it's highly unlikely that the firmware is the cause. Clicks/pops with SPDIF are usually due to your audio interface clocking not configured correctly.

The new pitch tracking is phenomenal. Since I've gotten my first fractal unit a few months ago and the updates seems hit the nail on the head with exactly where I'd ask for improvements to be made. From Preset/Scene Switching that is nearly seamless, to input gate improvements, to pitch tracking. I can't even find something reasonable to complain about anymore. Why doesn't it book gigs for me huh?

SPDIF is not controlled by the DSP so it's highly unlikely that the firmware is the cause. Clicks/pops with SPDIF are usually due to your audio interface clocking not configured correctly.
I did a quick reboot of the iMac, interface and III and it has not happened again. But I only had 5-10 minutes to play around with it. I will hopefully have more time later today and tomorrow to explore more and see if it comes back.

Really loving the new pitch stuff. Awesome update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom