AFIII Drive A/B comparison

edo

Power User
Vendor
I was doing some A/B comparison tests between a few of my od pedals and the af3 equivalent models, I ended up recording them and making a video clip.
Pedals are:
BOSS SD1 (80's mij) vs SUPER OD
IBANEZ TS9 vs T808 OD
BOSS FA-1 vs FET PREAMP
ProCO RAT vs RAT DISTORTION
KORG SDD3000 vs SDD PREAMP
EHX BIG MUFF vs PI FUZZ

I made a few adjustments in the advanced parameters for the SD1 and TS9 to make them closer to my pedals, and I had to go fairly extreme with the Big Muff (although it's still the most different), but other than that I think the AF3 drive models are pretty impressive. What do you think?

That'a great comparison. And the models hold up fine.

Any specific reason for the non-default clip types in the SD and TS?

The Muff is difficult by nature. So many versions and different sounds...

Well, the reason is that with these clip types I got the model sounding the closest to real pedals. I don't know whether pedals use different diode types depending on the period of manufacture, but I think these mods made the models the closest to my pedals.

The TS-808 used 1S1588 diodes. The TS-9 used 1N914 (equivalent to 1N4148). The Axe-Fx III model is a TS-808 so it defaults to 1S1588. Our reference pedal is a TS-808.

Early SD-1s used 1S1588 diodes. Later models used 1N916 and 1N4148. Our reference pedal has 1N916.

Big Muffs vary dramatically between versions.

The TS-808 used 1S1588 diodes. The TS-9 used 1N914 (equivalent to 1N4148). The Axe-Fx III model is a TS-808 so it defaults to 1S1588. Our reference pedal is a TS-808.

Early SD-1s used 1S1588 diodes. Later models used 1N916 and 1N4148. Our reference pedal has 1N916.

yeah, that’s what I thought - I know 80’s mij sd1’s used those diodes. But I remembered a post that said the 808 was actually based on a ts9. It doesn’t matter, I have another ts9 that sounds more different to the one in the clip than the axe model does! Lol

Aha, that's a change from earlier firmware. I'll need to update some stuff.

I was doing some A/B comparison tests between a few of my od pedals and the af3 equivalent models, I ended up recording them and making a video clip.
Pedals are:
BOSS SD1 (80's mij) vs SUPER OD
IBANEZ TS9 vs T808 OD
BOSS FA-1 vs FET PREAMP
ProCO RAT vs RAT DISTORTION
KORG SDD3000 vs SDD PREAMP
EHX BIG MUFF vs PI FUZZ

I made a few adjustments in the advanced parameters for the SD1 and TS9 to make them closer to my pedals, and I had to go fairly extreme with the Big Muff (although it's still the most different), but other than that I think the AF3 drive models are pretty impressive. What do you think?

Most sounded very close to me although what I think I heard mostly was a difference in the low frequencies. Not saying one was better or not.

One question: did you put your Muff in the Axe Fx loop or in front? I am thinking in the loop might have been closer due to the buffer affecting things.

Nice comparison!

Most sounded very close to me although what I think I heard mostly was a difference in the low frequencies. Not saying one was better or not.

One question: did you put your Muff in the Axe Fx loop or in front? I am thinking in the loop might have been closer due to the buffer affecting things.

Nice comparison!

I tried both ways, it sounded the same. The one in the clip is in the fx loop (or in in/out3 I should say). I agree, the slight difference is in the low mid frequencies (the 200-250hz area), as a matter of factI find the same slight difference in the amp models too, but with the built in eq it’s easier to tweak to taste

Leaving Muff and TS out of equation, as they are different models, others are close but still Axe sounded systematically more compressed or congested in my opinion. Seems there's more life on the real ones.

Models are great of course. They clearly have the character of the siblings, and sound good, but personally, I was a bit surprised as I thought they were closer than they actually are.

Thanks for this great comparison! I have to mention your incredible playing aswell. All songs are spot on!

Very nice job and comparisons!! I really appreciated the comparisons and believe it took you a lot of time.
Without any criticism...What do you intend to do next? Share some additional tips about the advanced parameters, sell you hard work about those blocks? Expand to modulation and other type of effects?

Back
Top Bottom