XL+ newbie

mrcrtking

Hi

Newbie here after help.

I am only 2 months into learning guitar and am now able to actually play chunks from tracks / songs, the corona lockdown has meant I've had the time to attempt to try and master the 6 string beast.

Recently (4-5 weeks back) picked up a FXII XL+ and the mfc-101 Mark III foot controller, faulty from public auction, the XL+ was totally dead and the MFC-101 didn't have the external PSU, but I am a electronics repair tech, found the MFC-101 worked fine (once powered up off external power supply as XL+ was dead via the cable) so this was ok.

The actual main unit XL+ had a dead power supply, stripped it out to repair, looked at it and had symptoms like its had 415v shoved up it as varistor across mains input (over voltage protection) exploded and fuse was blown, replace these parts and she fired right up, result, total repair cost all of 18 pence.

I've made some XLR to rca / phono cables up (beauty of working for a pro A/V company, free cable and Neutrik connectors) and its connected to my home stereo system which is pretty banging (will buy proper amp and speaker cab one day) been using it like this for 3 weeks and getting some great sound and been playing along to tracks off PC via youtube which audio via USB go through the XL+ to stereo system which is a great feature so no complicated external mixer needed.

Now this brings me to my question, hope I've not lost or bored anyone.

I am trying to get the "Metallica" sound like enter sandman, for whom the bell tolls, One and Ramstein - Du Haust tones etc have been playing about with AXE Edit however I am not even close sound too raspy or lack the top end, too tremolo or flange, basically I'm rubbish at trying to match tones mainly as I have no idea what I need to add, take away, gain, master = head melt, brilliant no doubt but I'm in a bit over my head.

Anyone able to help out or send screen grabs of settings pre-sets at all ? Or can they be downloaded and sent to the unit in a pack?

Also is it normal for the Up & Down on the MFC to go up in 10's and for the TEMPO light to always be flashing?

One more question the built in tuner, how do you set that for Bass guitar or am I being dumb? mate bought his bass over when first got XL+

I've tried reading the manuals but suffer from dyslexia so reading is difficult, can read a electronic circuit diagram better than reading text.

Thanks for taking the time.

Cheers

John

Hey John, Cheers from the great white north, another II XL + user here. Go to the fractal Axechange/Forum and search for songs or artists of the types of tone you are looking for. Also download Fractool to convert files from AX8 or other fractal platforms to II XL + format. there are tons of great videos online tutorials on how to use the axe fx and how to build tones.

Screengrabs are done from your PC or Mac in the usual fashion. I'm a PC guy so FN + prt sc on Mac it must be command Prt sc and it saves it in C:\Users\<user name>\Pictures\Screenshots directory it must best somewhat similar with Mac.

If you need more help fell free to contact me, Good luck Perry aka Techboy57

Up and down banks on the MFC can be assigned from 1 to 17. I've included a video for this start the video at 2:50

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/...arch=Metallica&fields=all&products=0&setups=0

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractool-ultimate-multitool-for-fas-devices.112538/

Back
Top Bottom